Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 22:44 It is currently 10 May 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6881 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [1]
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7789 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has a crust that is not [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
capsguy2018

Both "despite" and "although" indicate contrasts, but they are not interchangeable because they require different structures.

DESPITE should be followed by a noun, and is basically interchangeable with "in spite of." With the noun attached, it creates an adverbial modifier for some action that occurred.

Despite the rain, we went for a walk.
Despite my blinding headache, I finished the lecture.

ALTHOUGH is generally used to compare full clauses with their own subjects and verbs:

Although it was raining, we went for a walk.
Although I had a blinding headache, I finished the lecture.

Occasionally, ALTHOUGH is also used without a full clause, but the phrase it's in will still modify a full clause:

The book, although written hastily, became the most trusted resource on the topic for the next 20 years.

Notice that this is still different from DESPITE. If we wanted to use despite in the sentence above, we'd need to rewrite with a noun phrase: "despite THE HASTE with which it was written."
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has a crust that is not [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
betterscore wrote:
Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has a crust that is not seamless or stationary, rather it is fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

(A) Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has a crust that is not seamless or stationary, rather it is

(B) Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but is

(C) Despite covering the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but rather

(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather

(E) Although covering the entire planet, Earth has a crust that is not seamless or stationary, but

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that although the Earth's crust covers the entire planet, the crust is neither seamless nor stationary, rather it is fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Idioms

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.

A:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses "Despite its covering the entire planet" to modify "Earth", illogically implying that the planet Earth covers the entirety of itself; the intended meaning is that the Earth's crust covers the entirety of the planet Earth; remember in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

B:
1/ This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A ("seamless") and B ("is it stationary") in the idiomatic construction "neither A nor B"; remember, “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.

C:
1/ This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A ("seamless") and B ("is it stationary") in the idiomatic construction "neither A nor B"; remember, “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.

D: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly uses "Although it covers the entire planet" to modify "Earth's crust", conveying the intended meaning - that the Earth's crust covers the entirety of the planet Earth; remember in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.
2/ Option D correctly maintains parallelism between A ("seamless") and B ("stationary") in the idiomatic construction "neither A nor B".

E:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses "Although covering the entire planet" to modify "Earth", illogically implying that the planet Earth covers the entirety of itself; the intended meaning is that the Earth's crust covers the entirety of the planet Earth; remember in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Neither-Nor" and "Either-Or" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
hi,
i rejected D & E bcoz although(subordinator) and but(coordinating conjunction) can't go together.
pls help in this.

br//
suryav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, rather it is
fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.
(A) Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has
a crust that is not seamless or stationary,
rather it is
(B) Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet,
Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it
stationary, but is
(C) Despite covering the entire planet, Earth's crust
is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but
rather
(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's
crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but
rather
(E) Although covering the entire planet, Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, but

I understand that there is a dangling modifier in this sentence and hence D would be the most appropriate option. However, isn't "but rather" redundant?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3166 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi e-gmat,

Hi understood your examples and logically they are correct. However, I have read many explanations of OG12/13 and it seems that GMAC is a strong advocate of the idea of a CLAUSE, not any modifier, following conjunction "Although" . And many times this is the sole ground on which GMAC rejects an option as INCORRECT.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30882 [0]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply

Hi TGC,

Well, yes. In most of the official sentences, we see "although" followed by a clause. But I do not quite agree that even if "although" is followed by correct phrase that clearly shows the contrast, GMAC will eliminate it as INCORRECT. There has to be usage error in order to reject it as incorrect.

We can analyze a sentence if you have any to instantiate your claim.

Thanks. :-)
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 356
Send PM
Hi,I have a doubt in Choice D as comma +FANBOYS("BUT" in this case ) is used when you connect two ICs.But in choice D after "comma+ But" we have a Dependent clause. ?

Please clarify..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1783 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
hello, I want to ask about the idiom despite.
How can I know which idiom of despite is used properly in gmat?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15285 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:

"Despite" can be used with a concrete noun or a present participle. A gerund is not a good fit for "despite".

"Despite covering the entire planet"... correct ( present participle).
"Despite ist covering the entire planet".. wrong ( gerund)

You will find standard usages of "despite" (and "in spite of") here:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... nd-despite
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

"Despite" can be used with a concrete noun or a present participle. A gerund is not a good fit for "despite".

"Despite covering the entire planet"... correct ( present participle).
"Despite ist covering the entire planet".. wrong ( gerund)

You will find standard usages of "despite" (and "in spite of") here:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... nd-despite

Is usage of "but rather" not redundant?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi, the first "it" does not have a clearly mentioned precedent, is the option still considered correct?

Although [u]it[/u] covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun AndrewN EducationAisle EMPOWERgmatVerbal

While solving this question, I had question in mind :
I would like to enquire :
1.) which conjunctions need clause - although? ( Although it is cold outside, I feel warm)
Other examples: even though, though, because, therefore, until, whether, thereby?
2.) which conjunctions need only words or phrases or clause- but? ( It is cold outside but not snowing.
Other examples: Until , because ,etc?
I think replacing 'but' with 'although' will not work.

Question1: How can I know that such constructions would be wrong .
Question2:What are other conjunctions? - Where can I learn such a list?
Question3: Despite, In spite of - are these prepositions ? But In a sentence there placement is similar as conjunctions? How can differentiating Propositions with conjunctions can make difference? Do you have some examples?
E.g. Although it is cold outside, I feel warm
E.g.: In spite of cold outside, I feel warm
(IN other words, do you have some scenarios in which such knowledge made the difference when I need to choose between conjunction or propositions due to some rule)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 2.81
Send PM
Option D has "it" in it. Isn't it describing "Earth's" which is an adjective making it wrong? Pronouns should always describe a noun and not an adjective.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Hi TGC,

Let me try to answer your questions.

(1) “Despite” can be followed by a noun or verb-ing modifier. Take the following examples:
a. Despite bad weather. Jane came over for dinner.
b. Despite being the youngest in the group, Bob gave the best answers.

(2) It is NOT ALWAYS necessary for “Although” to be preceded by a clause in order to denote a contrast. For example:

a. Although simple, the outfit stands out in the crowd.

As we can see, “although” here is not followed by a clause. It is just followed by a word – small (an adjective = noun modifier). Now this noun modifier correctly modifies the Subject of the following main clause and hence, presents logical and unambiguous comparison.

So it is not necessary for “Although” to be always followed by a clause.

Now let’s come back to the official sentence and study the correct answer Choice D:

Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

When it comes to parallelism, we must be very careful in identifying the correct parallel list. We first need to identify the correct entities here.

This sentence is presenting a few characteristics of Earth’s crust. It:
a. is neither seamless nor stationary
b. but rather (is) fragmented into mobile semigrid plates.

In this answer choice all these entities are grammatically as well as logically parallel. The choice employs appropriate idioms to use these adjectives correctly to denote the correct comparison.

Note that “is” is not only applicable to “neither seamless not stationary” but also to “rather fragmented”. Here two verb phrases are parallel to each other.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Well pls see the link and pls clarify if although and though or any subordinate markers can be followed by a noun? This link explicitly states that it has rto be followed by a clause. https://www.englishgrammar.org/spite-or ... epositions.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ag153 wrote:
Well pls see the link and pls clarify if although and though or any subordinate markers can be followed by a noun? This link explicitly states that it has rto be followed by a clause. https://www.englishgrammar.org/spite-or ... epositions.

Hi ag153, I think you mean to ask:

can any subordinate markers be followed by an Adjective

The answer is yes. This is (what's called as) verb-less clause. For example, following is correct:

Although intelligent, Peter gets nervous in the exam.

Notice that "subordinating conjunction" although is followed by the "adjective" intelligent. The above can be interpreted as:

Although (he is) intelligent, Peter gets nervous in the exam.

Notice that he is intelligent is a clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather IS fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

The verb after the but is missing in the option D. How is the part after but rather a clause? SHouldnt it be a clause?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey,

But and rather together in a sentence is redundent.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts