Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 25 May 2017, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 113 [4] , given: 1

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:40) correct 19% (00:50) wrong based on 3287 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only
(b) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(d) are the nation's third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by abhimahna on 13 May 2017, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"Rank of" unidiomatic...C is OUT
E, D and B are OUT - Diabetes is not plural (check the sentence, "its serious complications" means the main subject "diabetes" is singular)

I pick A. Straightforward - use simple present tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2005, 08:09
Wow!! I am pleasantly surprised to see so many responses already, and thank you all for giving me your explanations for choosing your answer. I will wait for a few more hours, before revealing the answer and the all important concept tested in this SC

Thanks,
Darth
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2005, 09:35
first of I think we are talking about diabetese and its complications...so we have two subjects...therefore we need plural "are"...

I think D seems best...

in E it is in present perfect mood, why do we need present perfect when simple present tense would do...
10 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [10] , given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2005, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thank you all for your responses.

The OA is A. Most of you got the answer right. However, only Folaa3 and desiguy came close to getting the main concept right.

The CONCEPT
When the phrase following the subject is set of by commas, it indicates that the descriptive information conveyed by that phrase may be dropped from the sentence; it is not part of the subject

NOTE: The following words - with, including, accompanied by, along with, as well as, besides, in addition to, together with, do not create compound subjects

Together with, does not create a compound subject. Since Diabetes is singular, the singular verb ranks is most appropriate in the answer choice. A also correctly uses the present tense. "Only" is also correctly placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits.

I have also listed a few examples below, so that you can understand the concept better.

Wrong: George Bush, as well as Dick Cheney, are politicians

Right: George Bush, as well as Dick Cheney, is a politician

Wrong: George Bernard Shaw, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and River Phoenix, were vegetarians

Right: George Bernard Shaw, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and River Phoenix, was a vegetarian

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
DARTH :twisted:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 856

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2013, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

I also come to A.

however, one question, pls help

in the pattern

X of Y, do-ed

if Y works, comma+do-ed modifies Y
if Y dose not work and Y modifies X, comma+do-ed can jump Y to modifies X

if Y dose not work and Y dose not modifies X, comma+do-ed can not jump

for example
diabettes ranks as the second most dangerous disease by IFO oganisation, supassed by X disease
is wrong.
(I never see this question on og). just for discussion.

pls, comment.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 1400 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2013, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
subhojyoti wrote:
why not c? i was stuck betwee A n C..

hi,
you use present perfect tense when past comes in to present.
example: we have lived in the house from past 3 days..====>means from past ...till today we are living.

for stating facts you always use simple present .

(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only===> CORRECT USE AS ITS STATING A FACT.

(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed===>if you use HAS here means rank of DIABETES is constant always,...which is not the intended meaning...actually its a stated fact by THE AUTHOR......diabetes RANKS....BLAH BLAH..

HOPE it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 10:36
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Its been a while since I have posted a question in these forums. I came across an interesting question in the OG 11th edition, and thought I should share with you. An important concept is tested in this question.

(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed

Post your answers and your reasons for choosing your answer choice. Also post the "important concept" tested in this SC
Will post OA in 12 hours.

Thanks,
Darth

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

All,
Kindly help me to understand the role of modifier "surpassed only by heart disease and cancer"
IS it - 
a)  Diabetes  surpassed only by heart disease and cancer (ED Modifier modifying Diabetes ,Noun modifier)
 OR
b) Diabetes as a cause of death ,   surpassed only by heart disease and cancer ( Clause Modifier )?
i.e. the number of deaths caused Diabetes is by surpassed only by the number of deaths caused by heart disease and cancer .

If it Noun modifier than is it ok to put Noun modifier so far away from noun ?
If it is Clause modifier than Can ED modifier modify entire clause ? I thought only ING modifier modifies clause ?

Thnx,

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2014, 08:44
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Its been a while since I have posted a question in these forums. I came across an interesting question in the OG 11th edition, and thought I should share with you. An important concept is tested in this question.

Post your answers and your reasons for choosing your answer choice. Also post the "important concept" tested in this SC
Will post OA in 12 hours.

Thanks,
Darth

Diabetes is the subject, thus the verb needs to be in singular:

A) sounds good, let's examine the others before we judge this one:

B) wrong "quantity" of the verb, it should be ranks and thus B is gone within 2 seconds

C) "has the rank of" sounds weird, since this option sounds more or less like A except for the end split, toss this one out the window

D) Diabetes.. are is wrong, the verb should be is.. D gone

E) Diabetes.. have been ranked is wrong, the verb should be has been. E gone

Now, granted one could argue that I was way too rash in my judgment between A and C. Sure, A "sounds better", but how about if "only surpassed" is correct and "surpassed only" is incorrect? That's a good question, but when I read A i already KNEW that "surpassed only" is correct, thus I only need to spot a single weakness with C to eliminate it.
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 171

Kudos [?]: 1611 [0], given: 229

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 11:58
Every one answered correctly, but no one challenged the usage of ed modifier after comma; what ed modifier is modifying.
It is explained further on this thread.
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

It says ed modifier modifies the entire noun phrase "nation's third leading cause of death"
Technically surpassed is modifying death but logically nothing can surpass death thus as per the rule it can modify entire preceding noun phrase.

Similarly there is another question from Gmat prep: which is quite confusing as right answer is bit difficult to understand, modifier is preferred over verb, but all actions appear at same level and no cause or effect relationship appear b/w them.
found-throughout-central-and-south-america-sloths-hang-from-83510.html

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B
Followers: 2215

Kudos [?]: 7749 [13] , given: 291

Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 03:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
akhil911 wrote:

I understand why the official answer is correct in the question and dont have a problem is that.
However my question is regarding the usage of surpassed only and only surpassed.
As per the OG explanation , "Placed before surpassed , only would more ambiguously limit surpassed."
I am not able to understand this.
To give an example , is there any difference in the following two sentences.

1. Diabetes ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.
2. Diabetes ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed by heart disease and cancer.

Kindly explain my doubt here !!!!

Hi Akhil,

Here's the difference in usage.

1. When "only" is placed before "surpassed", it modifies "surpassed".
2. When "only" is placed before "by heart disease and cancer", it modifies "by heart disease and cancer".

Where we place "only" depends on the intended meaning of the sentence. Let's look at a couple of examples before we address this question.

1. Yesterday, I went only to the museum.

Meaning: I didn't go anywhere else yesterday - only to the museum.

2. Yesterday, I only went to the museum.

Here, "only" modifies the action "went". So the meaning of this sentence is: I didn't do anything yesterday except go to the museum.

In this question, the writer means to say that diabetes is surpassed only by two other diseases in terms of the number of deaths it causes. So, we want "only" to refer to these two diseases, and not to "surpassed".

This is a fairly subtle differentiation in terms of meaning. In official sentences, there are usually other ways to eliminate options with such problems. For example, option C in this question can also be eliminated on the basis of wordiness.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt.

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 59

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 00:03
This sentence correctly matches the singular verb, ranks, with the singular subject, diabetes,and uses the present tense to indicate a current situation.Also Only is placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits, by heart disease and cancer. Placed before surpassed, only would more ambiguously limit surpassed.

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

CEO
CEO
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 168

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 13:38
The V agrees in number with S (diabetes), surpassed serves as a modifier, and modifies the nation’s third leading cause of death. The sentence is correct as it is.

This choice has a SV error. “only surpassed” is not the same as “surpassed only”, thus leading to meaning error.

Has the rank of is wordy – ranks is better. Same meaning error as in b

SV error. Are does not agree in number with diabetes.

SV error. Same meaning error as (c) and (b). use of present perfect is not needed when presenting facts.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 43

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
rahulsn84 wrote:
Shoumik wrote:
What if answer choice E was "has been ranked as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed" instead of "have been ranked..." Which one would you guys choose? A or E?

In this case too the answer would be A because in A we have active voice where as in E we have passive voice. In GMAT when we have to choose between AV and PV, AV wins.

This is most certainly not true. There is no reason to eliminate an answer choice for the sole reason of active vs passive voice.

Back to the question: the "only surpassed" vs "surpassed only" could be tricky, but if we have "only surpassed", it kinda sounds like diabetes only "goal" is to be surpassed by the other diseases. I don't know if that makes logical sense, but check this similar issue out:

I work out only on thursdays -- this implies that the only day I actually work out on, is on thursdays

vs

I only work out on thursdays -- this implies that the only thing I do on thursdays is work out
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 12:16
Hi Folks,

Surpassed by..... is a participial modifier so it should modify a noun or a noun phrase.

Could you please tell me which is th noun or phrase being modified here.

I think its Diabetes.

Regards
Director
Director
B
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 10:15
kirtivardhan wrote:
How did you decide that " nation's third..." is a noun phrase.I often get confused while finding them.
I thought diabetes is getting modified

Let's analyze nation's third leading cause of death.

- cause is a noun.
- So, cause of death will also be a noun.
- third leading is just an adjective (an attribute/property/characteristic) of cause of death
- So, third leading cause of death is a noun (more specifically a noun phrase, because these group of words do not have a verb)
- Nation's is just making this entire noun phrase a possessive noun phrase.

Let's look at other example: India's third successive win in the tournament.

- win is a noun.
- So, win in the tournament will also be a noun.
- third successive is just an adjective (an attribute/property/characteristic) of win in the tournament
- So, third successive win in the tournament is a noun (more specifically a noun phrase, because these group of words do not have a verb)
- India's is just making this entire noun a possessive noun phrase.

Let me know if something is not clear.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2271 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 06:44
Rahulvajpayee wrote:
Diabetes is singular so is ranks, hence answer should be A. Other options are wrong because of the singular/plural error.

Not all other options have subject verb agreement error. Option C has singular verb "has" for singular subject "Diabetes". However this option is wrong because the usage "has the rank of " is wrong: in such usage "rank" means "an official grade" (various ranks in military - rank of a sergeant, rank of a corporal etc.).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 06:38
Tip: surpassed only..is modifying THIRD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH
(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only-ok
(b) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed-- S-V agreement issue; only surpassed is wrong
(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed--GMAT follow the VAN rule as stated MGMAT so this construction should be avioded; has the rank of is not right; only is misplaced
(d) are the nation's third leading causes of death, surpassed only--S-V agreement issue;
(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed-- S-V agreement issue; only is misplaced
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 05:47
The OA says that "only" should be placed after "surpassed", not before, because it limits "by hear disease and cancer", not "surpassed".

..., only surpassed by heart disease and cancer. ---> Wrong
..., surpassed only by heart disease and cancer. ---> Right

Could you please explain this observation in further detail?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B
Followers: 342

Kudos [?]: 926 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 00:01
The idea is to place "only" as close as possible to what it's modifying. We're not saying that diabetes is "only surpassed" (as opposed to some other more extreme verb). We're saying that it is surpassed by two other causes, and only by those two causes. Take a look at these:

I only sing in the band. (The only thing I do in the band is sing. I may also sing in other contexts.)
I sing only in the band. (I don't sing outside of the band. I may also do other things in the band, such as play an instrument.)

The door can be unlocked only by someone pure of heart. (Only someone pure of heart can unlock the door.)
The door can only be unlocked by someone pure of heart. (Someone pure of heart can only unlock the door. Perhaps they can't open it or pass through.)

If these seem weird to you, it's because very few of us actually speak or write like this. I don't generally follow this rule in my own writing, as I find there are other ways to make my meaning clear, and I often find the "correct" version to seem awkward or stuffy. However, the GMAT didn't ask my opinion! ;)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2016, 00:01

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ]