GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1248
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Mar 2018, 07:13
7
68
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (00:57) correct 52% (00:59) wrong based on 1356 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE


Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by noboru on 04 Sep 2009, 11:46.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 29 Mar 2018, 07:13, edited 3 times in total.
OA added
Most Helpful Community Reply
42 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 342
Location: San Francisco
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2010, 18:22
42
24
Hey All,

Everyone got to the correct answer here for good reasons, but I just thought I'd give it the total treatment, because it's a REALLY interesting question.

313. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

The way to get great at Sentence Correction is to always be categorizing as you look at splits. In this case, the first split you'll probably notice is "sloths" versus "the sloth". Now, a split like this should TYPICALLY lead you towards the category of SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT, but if you look at all the verbs, they work fine (sloths hang and the sloth hangs). The only other category that might apply when you see singular and plural verbs in the splits is PRONOUNS. That's right! This is actually a common trope. So look elsewhere for a pronoun. This will get rid of A, B, and C, as many have said (because the pronoun "its" at the end can only go with singular "the sloth").

From there, you may notice PARALLELISM happening here. You should know this because you see a list (comma, comma, "and"). This is dangerous here, though not if you noticed the PRONOUN issue already. As many have stated, answer choice E is NOT parallel, because it puts the pronoun "it" before the third verb.

HOWEVER, even if that "it" weren't there, this would still be incorrect. Before reading my explanation of why, see if you can work it out for yourself. Ready?

Okay. So even though E would be very beautiful (three verbs in the same tense and form...what parallel!), it would not retain the original meaning of the sentence. When you have total parallelism like you see in answer choice C, it implies three things that happen in a serial fashion (one after the other, or at least all separately).

But the point here is that there IS a connection. Notice the last point, "algae grow...between its toes." Why would that happen? The only explanation is that the sloth sleeps and barely moves WHILE it is hanging. When you have that kind of construction, you want to use subordinate verbs to imply a subordinate relationship. Watch:

All day long he sits in that chair, reading the newspaper and sometimes falling asleep.

See how we use the -ing form of the verb (participles) to imply that the reading and sleeping occurs WHILE he sits. Because of this, we need the answer to look just as D does.

Hope that helps!

-t
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
9 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 821
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 10:31
9
4
just concentrate on the last part of underlined part
moving infrequently enough
it shoud be "so...that" IDIOM
hence among C&D
also note the non underlined part at end ".....its coat and between its toes."
hence it must be singular SLOTH
its

noboru wrote:
313. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Reviews Badge
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 22:33
I was picking 'C', but see your point in 'D'.

D. the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently


are 'hangs' ..., 'sleeping'......, 'moving' .. right??
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 821
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 22:50
2
1
quoting from OG12#124

Agreement; Idiom

The plural sloths in the underlined section of the sentence does not agree with the singular
its (its coat, its toes) in the given section of the sentence, and so sloths must be replaced by the
sloth. When its is then inserted before long rubbery limbs, it becomes clear that the limbs belong to
the sloth, not the trees. The phrase moving infrequently enough that is not idiomatic. Th e
correct construction is so x that y: moving so infrequently that two species. …


D Correct. The sloth agrees with its; the
construction moving so x that y is properly
used in this sentence.

E Hangs … sleeps … it moves is not a parallel
construction; infrequently enough that is not a
correct idiom.



dolly12 wrote:
I was picking 'C', but see your point in 'D'.

D. the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently


are 'hangs' ..., 'sleeping'......, 'moving' .. right??

_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1248
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2010, 07:51
My point here is that hangs, sleeps, and moves are at "the same level" so they must appear in the same tense, arent they??

I dont catch why do we have to subordinate sleeping as if it were like a consequence of the sloth hanging in the tree...

Thanks.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 342
Location: San Francisco
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2010, 13:16
2
5
Hey Noburu,

Actually they aren't at the same level, though the question tries to push it that way (and keep in mind, there's no correct answer choice that parallels them all at that level, so it's a bit of a non-issue).

The fact is, the sloths don't do three separate things: 1) hangs from trees, 2)sleeps 15 hours a day, 3) moves infrequently. That wouldn't be very interesting, and it wouldn't at all explain why algae grows between its toes. The point is that it sleeps 15 hours and barely moves WHILE hanging, which explains the algae.

Remember, participles (-ing words as adjectives) can be used either as the result of the previous clause (as you noted) OR as a description of things that occur WHILE the main verb is happening (For example: Dave traveled the world, visiting historic sites, eating crazy foods, and meeting exotic ladies.) In that example, "visiting", "eating" and "meeting" all occur WHILE Dave traveled.

Hope that helps!

-tommy
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Posts: 42
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Apr 2010, 00:33
2
1
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.
(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

Some thoughts:

1. Be careful about the non-underlined portion of the sentence:

See the blue colored portion of the sentence. Here, to refer to the sloth there is a pronoun ''its''. So, we should comply with this pronoun.

=> From this we can easily eliminate A, B, and C because they have the plural noun sloths, which does not fit with the singular its.

2. If a subject has more than one verbs, those verbs should be used one after another by using commas. Subject should not be repeated.
Example:
I have made it and won the prize.

Option E, unnecessarily keeps the pronoun it to refer to the sloth.

Again, option E, does not maintain ''so............that''. So,E is out.

Answer is D.

_________________

Never, never, never GIVE UP.


Originally posted by gmatisnothard on 25 Apr 2010, 05:09.
Last edited by gmatisnothard on 26 Apr 2010, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 342
Location: San Francisco
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2010, 11:01
2
1
Hey Gmatisnothard,

Thanks for joining the discussion. However, I'd like to correct you on a couple things, so people don't get confused. In the future, please refrain from laying forth rules if you're not 100% sure about them, because people will take them as fact. Also, please don't use a giant font, as it dominates the page.

You said this: "2. If a subject has more than one verbs, those verbs should be used one after another by using commas. Subject should not be repeated.
Example: I have made it, and won the prize."

Your overall point is dangerous, because this isn't a hard and fast rule. For example: "The man bought a lot of bacon, but he couldn't eat it all." There's nothing wrong with that sentence, even though we used the pronoun "he" where it wasn't strictly required. Also, your example sentence has another error. You don't use "and" after a comma in a list of two items.

The bigger problem with E in the sloth question is NOT the notion of repeating a subject, but the lack of parallelism. We don't want "it" after the final "and" because we didn't get it after the first comma. Obviously, we're better off not repeating the subject, but it's safer to think of this under the rubric of parallelism.

Finally, the problem isn't that E doesn't have "so infrequently that", but that the version it does have is wrong. We could have said "it moves infrequently enough to allow two species of algae...". But "infrequently enough that..." is an incorrect idiom.

Hope that helps!

-tommy
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Posts: 42
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 00:37
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Gmatisnothard,

Thanks for joining the discussion. However, I'd like to correct you on a couple things, so people don't get confused. In the future, please refrain from laying forth rules if you're not 100% sure about them, because people will take them as fact. Also, please don't use a giant font, as it dominates the page.

You said this: "2. If a subject has more than one verbs, those verbs should be used one after another by using commas. Subject should not be repeated.
Example: I have made it, and won the prize."

Your overall point is dangerous, because this isn't a hard and fast rule. For example: "The man bought a lot of bacon, but he couldn't eat it all." There's nothing wrong with that sentence, even though we used the pronoun "he" where it wasn't strictly required. Also, your example sentence has another error. You don't use "and" after a comma in a list of two items. => Yes, you are correct. Thanks for the correction. I have corrected it.

The bigger problem with E in the sloth question is NOT the notion of repeating a subject, but the lack of parallelism. We don't want "it" after the final "and" because we didn't get it after the first comma. Obviously, we're better off not repeating the subject, but it's safer to think of this under the rubric of parallelism.

Finally, the problem isn't that E doesn't have "so infrequently that", but that the version it does have is wrong. We could have said "it moves infrequently enough to allow two species of algae...". But "infrequently enough that..." is an incorrect idiom.

Hope that helps!

-tommy


Thanks for your valuable feedback. I appreciate your effort. I will be happy if you very often join discussion on this board. your expertise will help us. We are the beginners. So, we have lots of things to know.

1. For a list of three verbs we use comma.
Example:
I have made it, done it, and won the prize. [Am I right?]
Thanks.
_________________

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 07:42
Very insightful discussion.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 110
Location: India
Schools: ISB
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2010, 11:42
Very detailed discussion , thanks ....
_________________

_________________
If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 18
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 23:14
noboru wrote:
313. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough



I have a doubt that if option E is rephrased as
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and improves infrequently enough

Will this answer choice be correct ?

Or is it still incorrect because of enough that ??The Idiom should be so x that y .

Does it mean that énought that 'is a checkpoint for idiom 'so x that y 'and the idiom is preferred.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2554
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 07:52
2
1
purnima wrote:
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enoug


I have a doubt that if option E is rephrased as
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and improves infrequently enough

Will this answer choice be correct ?

Or is it still incorrect because of enough that ??The Idiom should be so x that y .

Does it mean that énought that 'is a checkpoint for idiom 'so x that y 'and the idiom is preferred.


Hi Purnima,

Choice E is certainly incorrect for the usage of "enough that" because this is not the correct idiom. In the context of this sentence, we need the idiom "so X that Y". The "that Y" part is already mentioned in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. That's the indicator that we need to use the idiom "so X that Y" in its correct form to convey the intended meaning.

Also, when we write all the verbs in parallel form - "hangs, sleeps, and moves", they all become independent events. However, from the original senetnce, we know that at least "moving..." is the result of "sleeps 15 hours..." as this entity is written as the comma + verb-ing modifier that presents the result of the preceding action. So here we have the cause and effect relationship between the actions. this cause and effect relationship is lost when we make all the verbs parallel to each other. Such changes lead to change in the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1169
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 20:42
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Everyone got to the correct answer here for good reasons, but I just thought I'd give it the total treatment, because it's a REALLY interesting question.

313. Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

The way to get great at Sentence Correction is to always be categorizing as you look at splits. In this case, the first split you'll probably notice is "sloths" versus "the sloth". Now, a split like this should TYPICALLY lead you towards the category of SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT, but if you look at all the verbs, they work fine (sloths hang and the sloth hangs). The only other category that might apply when you see singular and plural verbs in the splits is PRONOUNS. That's right! This is actually a common trope. So look elsewhere for a pronoun. This will get rid of A, B, and C, as many have said (because the pronoun "its" at the end can only go with singular "the sloth").

From there, you may notice PARALLELISM happening here. You should know this because you see a list (comma, comma, "and"). This is dangerous here, though not if you noticed the PRONOUN issue already. As many have stated, answer choice E is NOT parallel, because it puts the pronoun "it" before the third verb.

HOWEVER, even if that "it" weren't there, this would still be incorrect. Before reading my explanation of why, see if you can work it out for yourself. Ready?

Okay. So even though E would be very beautiful (three verbs in the same tense and form...what parallel!), it would not retain the original meaning of the sentence. When you have total parallelism like you see in answer choice C, it implies three things that happen in a serial fashion (one after the other, or at least all separately).

But the point here is that there IS a connection. Notice the last point, "algae grow...between its toes." Why would that happen? The only explanation is that the sloth sleeps and barely moves WHILE it is hanging. When you have that kind of construction, you want to use subordinate verbs to imply a subordinate relationship. Watch:

All day long he sits in that chair, reading the newspaper and sometimes falling asleep.

See how we use the -ing form of the verb (participles) to imply that the reading and sleeping occurs WHILE he sits. Because of this, we need the answer to look just as D does.

Hope that helps!

-t


their are 3 kind of errors in sc, I categorize. this categorization is for attacking questions.

minors errors are simple to explain but hard to find in the test room. your explanation is correct.

I approach differently this approach is semantic.

on basis of meaning relation between comma+doing and the main clause, this relation different from that in grammar book and following the gmat standard, I realize the D is correct immediately

it is hard to understand my explanation above. but to understand above explanation, you need first to understand the meaning relation above. this job is not easy. you need to analyse the semamtic relation beteem doing and main clause in og books and read some grammar books for this point before you come to conclude about the sematic realation which gmat accept.

a lot of work even for prep company.

the more I study og books , the more I see the excellence of the writers of gmat

there are 5 persons following me whenever I go out of my house.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Mar 2016
Posts: 47
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 13:04
Hi all,

Another point to add: Option B can not form a complete sentence because a comma is not sufficient to join two clauses. Hence option B is a run-on.

Sloths hang........COMMA they sleep........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 02:52
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 497
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 10:10
ANSWER IS D

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently => perfectly parallel ,ing modifiers.
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough
_________________

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 140
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 07:21
noboru wrote:
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough


Scanning through the options we can see 3:2 split. Now to decide "sloths" VS "the sloth" look at the non-underlined portion, which shows the usage of the pronoun its. Therefore, eliminate choices A, B, and C.

(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
The VERB-ing modifier is used correctly here, it describes the preceding clause.

(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough
the presence of the AND marker leads us to think parallelism. The three verbs are not parallel. "and it" distorts the parallelism. Also, as per the intended meaning of the sentence the three actions are not parallel. Instead its only a one action and the rest are just describing that one action.
ALso, the non underlined portion shows the usage of that, so we need a "so" before that which completes the so.. that structure and also implies the intended meaning.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 80
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 16:10
1
noboru wrote:
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough


D.
The non underlined part mentions its so use of plural sloths is incorrect. Hence, A,B and C can be eliminated.
E - This says that it moves frequently enough that two species of algae grow. Here, we are focusing on the outcome; this implies that they moved infrequently so that the algae grow , however this is not the intended meaning.
D gets this correct by using the idiom "so X that". Sleeping and moving as a modifiers after comma describe what the sloth does while hanging from trees.
Re: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 16:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.