Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not entirely sure if I'll start my business directly after graduating or if I should wait a few years to pay off my debt and get some experience. Advice I'm getting is that the latter would be smarter.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
empanado wrote:
I think it is all about what you need the MBA for, for example, if you want to go into I-Banking, nothing short of the top 5 will land you a spot in a good firm, if you want to go into non-profit, do you really need to spend the $100K and go ultra-elite?

You do not need to go to a top 5 in order to go into I-Banking.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
kavet83 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure if I'll start my business directly after graduating or if I should wait a few years to pay off my debt and get some experience. Advice I'm getting is that the latter would be smarter.

I would tend to agree. In my personal opinion - and its just that - there is a lot of value in a top MBA education over a relative unknown. From the perspective of securing a quality job, a top mba will do that for you. Wharton, GSB, Kellogg, HBS, Stanford, Stern, etc - all, if you so choose, can set you up with $100,000 a year base salaries, $10,000 sign on bonuses (or more), and bonuses that can easily match (or even exceed) your entire salary if you go into certain industries. Not all jobs pay that high - but a top MBA education can pretty much guarantee you $120K total compensation first year in almost any industry (with maybe the exception of marketing and non profit).

So its a question of risk.... a lesser name MBA might open doors for you, it might not. A name brand MBA will. From an educational perspective, I agree - there isnt much difference. From a network and perceived (whether its warranted or not) prestige, there is a difference. If I was looking to be an entrepreneur (and I am) I would personally choose to go to a top school and spend a little money doing it - for two key reasons - the powerful network of peers in a variety of industries I will establish and 2 - the fact that I can mitigate a lot of risk by ensuring I have a good job lined up when I leave.

That said, this is a very personal choice. A "lesser" (I use the quotation marks just to indicate I'm not saying it is lesser) school will likely gobble up a 710 score, and offer you a nice scholarship. Then again, so might a top school.... I know people with nearly full scholarships at the GSB and scores around 720-750. I also know people with 780's with no scholarship at all.

There's only one way to find out....

Originally posted by rhyme on 21 Jun 2007, 14:17.
Last edited by rhyme on 21 Jun 2007, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, I understand that a top program will benefit me more than an unknown. But I don't think I'm qualified to get into one of the top 15 schools. I may be good, but I'm not that good. I'm more interested in knowing if there's as much of a difference in a program like Michigan State (which isn't in the top 20, but is still a very good school with a competitive program) compared to Wayne State (which is pretty much an unknown with a very easy program to get into).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kavet83 wrote:
Ok, I understand that a top program will benefit me more than an unknown. But I don't think I'm qualified to get into one of the top 15 schools. I may be good, but I'm not that good. I'm more interested in knowing if there's as much of a difference in a program like Michigan State (which isn't in the top 20, but is still a very good school with a competitive program) compared to Wayne State (which is pretty much an unknown with a very easy program to get into).

It seems to me that the school's websites can answer your questions the best. They all should have employment reports. I can tell you that higher is not always better, but there is a huge value to prestige and networks the better ranked schools offer. I would advise you to research and pick schools that offer a program and job placement that appeal to you. Best of luck, and congrats on the score!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you everyone so far for your posts! You're really helping me to figure out what I should do! This is a great website, so useful!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
empanado wrote:
I think it is all about what you need the MBA for, for example, if you want to go into I-Banking, nothing short of the top 5 will land you a spot in a good firm, if you want to go into non-profit, do you really need to spend the $100K and go ultra-elite?

You do not need to go to a top 5 in order to go into I-Banking.

Agreed. You can get into i-banking from schools ranked in the 30s and 40s.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
kavet83 wrote:

You just scored in the ultra-elite ranges on the GMAT, don't sell yourself short :)

Forget for a moment what you think you can do - you didn't think you could get a 710 - but you did. So why is going to a top 15 out of the question? When I started my proccess, I figured there was little to no way - I could end up anywhere in the top 10. Today, I sometimes delude myself into thinking I might have pulled out an HBS admit if I'd done that application last rather than first. Confidence seems like an unnessecary barrier to sucess sometimes.

So as I say - forget for a moment what you think you can do and just think about what you want to do. Let that guide you. My primary point is this - I would have rather tried and failed than to have never tried at all. I never want to be that guy that keeps saying "What if?".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Even though I didn't really want to go there, I do wonder a little about "what if I had applied..." on Harvard.

And starting earlier.

And not having interviewed with such a disaster alumni for GSB.

And whether this is the right decision.

With a 710 you should pick out at least one top school you think fits with your dreams and apply. If there isn't one that does that, go wherever does.

After all, the whole experience is about you, not ranking tables.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
One thing to keep in mind is that even if you know for sure you want to start your own business working for a couple years post MBA to pay down debt and save up some money for when you start your own business. Also by working for a few years you will get to put your knowledge gained in school to practical use and you can get some experience (and make some mistakes) with someone else paying you and providing you a good support system.

Also going to a top school will give you a much better network seek advice from, to provide you contacts in the business world, and also provide you access to people who may invest in your idea...if its a great idea and will make money then coming from a top program will only definitely help you find investors. Figure if you go to an elite school some of your classmate will be working in venture capital and their jobs will be to find companies to invest in. Plus you may find people in school to start a company with and your more likely to find highly skilled and driven people possible at a top school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I thought maybe I should clarify some of my additional information as it might change the advice that I could get into one of the top schools. I am almost 24 and female. My undergrad is in recreation management. I graduated in 2005 but haven't really been in the workforce. I did an internship as part of my graduation requirements, but then I came to watch my niece full time (basically a nanny) for the last two years. I have a part time job right now with a shipping company. So I have no real business work experience or any leadership work experience. Also, I don't think I could justify the expense of a top school because family is very important to me. Being a woman, after I get married, I would rather not work and just do the stay at home mom thing. So while I would like to use my MBA after graduation, and hopefully run a successful business, I don't necessarily plan on always being in the workforce.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Without work experience I think you'll have a LOT of trouble cracking the Top 30 schools. If you plan on being a stay-at-home mom then I don't think you would recoup the cost of going to a top school anyways.

For someone with entrepreneurial aspirations I think an MBA from a non-top school will serve your needs just fine. With your high GMAT score I imagine you can get a decent scholarship as well.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks so much! That's kind of what I've been thinking as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You're still young. Why don't you try to get a full-time job in the corporate world doing whatever comes your way.

And then in 1-3 years, reevaluate the MBA path. Your GMAT score is good for 5 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with gmatclb on this. Get some WE, extra-curriculars, then re-apply after 2 years, you will potentially be able to crack the top10 - and being female helps; due to the avg 70/30 split between males and females; top schools look keenly on females.

gmatclb wrote:
You're still young. Why don't you try to get a full-time job in the corporate world doing whatever comes your way.

And then in 1-3 years, reevaluate the MBA path. Your GMAT score is good for 5 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
MoonShine wrote:
I agree with gmatclb on this. Get some WE, extra-curriculars, then re-apply after 2 years, you will potentially be able to crack the top10 - and being female helps; due to the avg 70/30 split between males and females; top schools look keenly on females.

gmatclb wrote:

Why are you guys suggesting/forcing her to do something that she is not willing to do? Didn't she say that family is very important for her and that after she gets married, she would rather not work and just do the stay at home mom thing. As Cliché as it sounds, but being an older candidate, I have learnt first-hand that the most important thing in life is to be dead honest with your inclinations/preferences and then chose a path that suits best to your personality. Her talent is obviously not questionable with a solid GMAT score, the real predicament for her is either to spend some money and get a respectable MBA (No M7 and all that crap) say from Michigan State and or go for a less-than-respectable MBA to save money and eventually move on with her personal life.

I know Wayne State really well as one of my close friends is finishing his masters in civil engineering there. I do not want to disappoint but Wayne state is pretty low-ranked school with miserable facilities and sketchy/shabby surrounding area. I also believe that Michigan State and Wayne State tuition fee for an MBA program should not be significantly different considering both of them are state universities. If you are Michigan resident, the tuition fee should be pretty much the same. But without any doubt, Michigan State MBA would be far better than Wayne State both in terms of learning environment and network connections. I would say apply to both schools executing your application in a best possible way stating clearly why mba and why that particular school and then wait for results. Being a female and with 710, I am sure you may get full scholarship at Wayne State and an admission to Michigan State. If you get both, go for Michigan State and pay money. Just my 2 cents and good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you so much everyone for your input and advice. Haddy74, especially a big thanks to you, that is what I wanted to know. I have decided that I'm not going to even apply to Wayne State. I can do better than that. So from now on I'll be researching a ton of schools (not top 20 probably, but good schools) and figuring out where I want to apply to. I'll get my apps ready for the first round and see what comes. Again, thank you everyone, you've really helped in this decision making process! I'm really glad I found this site!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]