Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ding experiences [#permalink]
Applying to business school can be an extremely humbling experience. While you may have indeed cast your net too high this year, you should definitely do whatever it takes to show the improvement in your application next year.

Since you said you are older applicant, my advice of waiting two years to reapply probably would not make a lot of sense. The reason I asked about your recommenders is they may have been able to help you focus your search to realistic schools.

As for your friends, you are right that their recommendations do not align with your career goals at all. I too would find it pretty funny, but your friends either mean very well or doubt your ability to get into a top school. As these are your friends, I would hazard to guess that they probably mean well and give them the benefit of the doubt. That said, you should definitely "find friends" who went to top elite programs to help you review your essays next year.

Good luck
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hi Columbia08 that is the eternal problem with well wishers, who do not understand the full extent of our misery. They just put all these dings in the same basket without understanding all that we have put into the process. One ding CAN be better than the other even though the outcome is the same. For instance, my first application to Columbia J-Term was AWFUL. I see it now. I was extremely naive about the applications process back then and I cringe upon rereading those essays. With Chicago I got an interview and then got dinged. I know my essays were light years apart. Yet a ding is a ding and the end result is the same. Like you, I know am not too far off the mark. My last 3 applications have yielded interviews and two of them waitlists. My friends have suggested looking at local options like AGSM and NUS, which are good schools no doubt, but they do not cater to my dreams. My advice is to keep in touch with this board with like-minded people who will keep you motivated and who understand your (and my) situation. Its going to be another marathon and we'll need all the motivation we can get.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Columbia08 wrote:
one friend in the investment industry told me to apply to her B-school alma mater the next time around and even offered to write me a recommendation. Interesting point is, I couldn't even find the school in any rankings...i.e. it's the local program offering all manner of programs and accepting anyone who will apply, my roommate suggested yet another no-name telling me how her parent's friend succeeded after going to no-name Y. Finally a co-worker and good friend suggested I apply to one of the online programs...honestly I have laughed myself stupid!

I don't know about the online program suggestion, but in the other two cases, your friends had good feelings about their suggested programs. Heck, one of them went to one such program. So, they certainly value those programs more than you. So it is very obvious that from their point of view, they gave you good suggestions. The suggestions don't make much sense for you, but you can tell that their intentions were nice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well said bsd..I guess I have to learn to overlook those comments and do what I have to do relying on those who truly understand the process. I'm beyond grateful for GMAT club...I think without it I would not have a penny's worth of chance of understanding what is required let alone coming up with it.

In some way bsd you are keeping me strong in my resolve...I hope next year we can look back and say it was worth it like DJM who got into Wharton this year as a reapplicant.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mNeo wrote:
Columbia08 wrote:
I don't know about the online program suggestion, but in the other two cases, your friends had good feelings about their suggested programs. Heck, one of them went to one such program. So, they certainly value those programs more than you. So it is very obvious that from their point of view, they gave you good suggestions. The suggestions don't make much sense for you, but you can tell that their intentions were nice.

Thanks mNeo..I guess I am getting paranoid which is not a good thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
i would strongly advise against taking advice from anyone who doesen't know a damn thing about the whole applicationa process to the top B schools and have no idea about B schools. I talked to a lot of people from different backgrounds and the advice I got was as varied as anything else, which was more of a problem than a solution. Not many people know what it takes to get into the good schools. After all not everyone will have gone through that process of applying and not everyone will have done their research. I found many people who told me that it's not important which school you go to because what matters more is what you do after school. On the other hand I had many people telling me that I should apply to the best schools and see what happens because this is a one time opportunity so I should try and maximise it.

Here's my point: Only I know what I am capable of and only I know the schools that I would want to get into. Only I know which schools I would have a realistic chance of getting into. In my case, the most important thing was to go to a school that has a moderately sized class and where I would be ensured personal attention by the career services. I didnt want to go to schools with 1000 students and then get lost. I also didnt want to go to schools which has students who don't need the MBA in the first place.
GMAT Club Bot