Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: CBS '23
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
GRE 1: Q167 V160
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Disappointing first GMAT attempt - ESR analysis [#permalink]
Hmm, doesn't seem like I've posted enough on the forums in order to attach. I'll PM you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jaykpatel21 wrote:
To tackle the exam anxiety,
Almost all of the students have struggled to some degree with anxiety on test day. For the vast majority, that anxiety stems from fear of poor exam performance, which often snowballs into a myriad of unknown, future consequences, including negative admissions decisions.

Anxiety is detrimental because it impedes the ability to think clearly, and the GMAT is a test of critical thinking skills. Holding back this most important ability will hinder your performance on test day.

While there are several exercises to combat anxiety (one of which is outlined below), the overall best way to address this is to think of the GMAT as a way to push yourself confidently in a private, one-to-one encounter with the test.

Think of this private communication with the test as the ultimate challenge to prove to yourself that you know what you’re doing, and you’re ready to show the admissions committee what you’re made of. If you have done the work, if your base skills are where they should be, then you will be ready. It is all about preparation and the application of knowledge. You are ALREADY smart—now you are just teaching yourselves new patterns to recognize.

Using breathing techniques to counter anxiety on GMAT test day

Whether from nerves or intense concentration, breathing during a test often ranges from shallow to non-existent.

This automatic response may have served our ancestors well when faced with threats or when they were hunting, but you would be wise to ignore this on the GMAT. Simply put, your brain is an oxygen fiend. Under normal conditions, the brain consumes 20% of your total oxygen, despite making up about 2% of your weight.

You can imagine what happens in “test mode.” The lesson here is simple but priceless: just keep breathing. If, like me, you have trouble putting this into practice, automate the process:

Take a deep breath each time you submit an answer.
Take another after you read the question.
Take one more whenever you get stuck.
Your brain will thank you by running more efficiently and bringing all that horsepower to bear on those really tough problems.

Remember: If you're not breathing deeply and regularly, you are not operating at full capacity. If you have a habit of forgetting to breathe, make a new habit of taking a deep breath at regular intervals.

Posted from my mobile device

Wow, this is fantastic advice. I'd really like to start consciously practicing this in all my practices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.94
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

While attempting the official mock, did any of the questions seem familiar to you? It is possible that some of the questions were already encountered by you.

Rather than attempting MGMATs again (where some questions might be repeated), I'd suggest you to revisit the six tests, see what mistakes you made. Try other quality mocks.

Subacribe to gmatclub tests. One sectional a day should be enough.

During the last two weeks, stick to Official material for verbal prep. As you mentioned, if it's mainly the exam pressure that got to you, just fine tune your test-taking strategies.

Taking OG 3,4,5,6 would be a good idea.

All the best!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
baliga007 wrote:
Hi,

While attempting the official mock, did any of the questions seem familiar to you? It is possible that some of the questions were already encountered by you.

Rather than attempting MGMATs again (where some questions might be repeated), I'd suggest you to revisit the six tests, see what mistakes you made. Try other quality mocks.

Subacribe to gmatclub tests. One sectional a day should be enough.

During the last two weeks, stick to Official material for verbal prep. As you mentioned, if it's mainly the exam pressure that got to you, just fine tune your test-taking strategies.

All the best!

Not that I can recall. I made a conscious effort to avoid encountering any official OG questions before tackling those OG CATs #1 and #2. I may check out the GMAT club exams, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.94
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Eapfep wrote:
baliga007 wrote:
Hi,

Subscribe to gmatclub tests. One sectional a day should be enough.

All the best!

Not that I can recall. I made a conscious effort to avoid encountering any official OG questions before tackling those OG CATs #1 and #2. I may check out the GMAT club exams, thanks!

Glad to hear. You just have to practise what Jaykpatel21 suggested! :D
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
FYI - there is no overlap in questions between the official guide 2019 or 2020 and GMAT prep Tests. There is no such thing as OG tests.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
FYI - there is no overlap in questions between the official guide 2019 or 2020 and GMAT prep Tests. There is no such thing as OG tests.

Thank you for the clarification. I essentially only worked off of MGMAT before starting my OG#1/#2 exams.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Dear Eapfep,

In my opinion, you may need to practice the CAT more to simulate how the real exam is. And since you now have the experience, I think you will do okay in your next attempt but don't rush into it. Plan it. Cheers.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Eapfep,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you studied for just 1.5 months, then that might help to explain why you did not score higher yet. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues, or the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any other CATs/mocks besides the ones you listed? If so, then how have you scored on EACH of those other CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Disappointing first GMAT attempt - ESR analysis [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Eapfep,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you studied for just 1.5 months, then that might help to explain why you did not score higher yet. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues, or the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any other CATs/mocks besides the ones you listed? If so, then how have you scored on EACH of those other CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich,

1) I generally do 2 hours on weekdays (1 in the morning before work, 1-2 in the evenings) and on average 4-5 hours on each day of the weekend
2) I've read through the Manhattan GMAT books and worked through all the practice exams and CATS. I've also worked through some of the problems here on GMAT Club.
3) Yes, here's the breakdown for all my other Manhattan GMAT CATs

MGMAT #5: 620 (42Q, 33V)
MGMAT #4: 640 (42Q, 36V)
MGMAT #3: 590 (40Q, 32V)
MGMAT #2: 620 (39Q, 35V)
MGMAT #1: 680 (37Q, 45V)

As you can see, the spread is all over the place. I likely put too much emphasis on my two most recent OG exams, which lulled me into a false sense of confidence..

4) I would like to apply by Round 2 at the latest in the current year (for 2020 entry), but would be great to squeeze in 1-2 Round 1 applications.
5) Primarily aiming for M7, with a strong motivation for Columbia ED

Appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Disappointing first GMAT attempt - ESR analysis [#permalink]
Thank you for everyone’s help so far. I’ve just taken the OG #3 exam and ended up with 690 (44Q, 40V). Based on this I have more work to do than previously expected. I would really like to push my quant scores consistently into the ~48 range.

I’m planning on doing 10 OG quant problems a day, but would like to supplement with a daily quiz of 20-30 questions. I’ve worked through some of the free resources on GMAT Club and found it relatively helpful. Would appreciate any recommendations for practice materials.

Given this I’ll likely push out my re-write date by maybe a week or so and just blast myself with GMAT Quant questions for the next 20+ days.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Eapfep,

I've sent you a PM with an assessment of your ESR and some additional questions.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Eapfep,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Looking at your range of practice test scores, from 590 to 750, it appears that you have a variety of quant and verbal weaknesses that are holding you back from hitting your 720+ score goal. Thus, rather than your rushing a retake in the next 3 weeks, I recommend that you give yourself much more time to dive back into your GMAT prep and greatly improve your quant and verbal skills. Also, rather than just engaging in practice, you should follow a more linear study plan that allows you to first learn each quant and verbal topic AND THEN practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery.

Certainly, if you’d like more advice on how to improve your skills, I’d be happy to provide some detailed advice. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following articles about How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT and The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot