GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 13:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Don't know what went wrong at the actual exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Don't know what went wrong at the actual exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 22:28
Hi all

A little background: I am a final year law student from one of the elite law schools in India, was planning on applying to a couple deferred programs (top 10 US Schools). My undergraduate GPA translates to roughly 80%, which, I have been told, is a very competitive score for people who come from Humanities background.

Application deadline for the schools I wanted to apply is today and tomorrow (April 8 and 9th) and I took the GMAT yesterday.

I had started preparing for the GMAT off and on in Feb'19 but started seriously only by 10th March. I realized all along that my quant was super weak because I have not studied anything even remotely related to quant in the last 6 years. I was also working on my essays/getting my recos in order side by side.

Took the first official mock on 12/03/19 and scored a 620 (Q47 V30)

Worked very hard for the next 10 days and worked on my problems. Second official mock on 21/03/19, and scored a 670 (Q45 V38).

Purchased the next 2 free mocks, worked super hard on my mistakes and took the third mock on 31/03/19 and scored a 700 (Q46 V41).

In my fourth and final official mock, I felt out of sync and my score fell to 660 (Q44 V38). It was 4 days before the exam but I looked up all my weak areas and worked on quant (and quant only) until the test day.

Test day: Was well rested the morning of the test day. Started the test with Verbal (usual strategy) and I was doing well - felt that the questions were getting super tough, but messed up time management and had to mark the last 3 questions without reading. When I marked the very last question, it showed me the "you have run out of time" dialogue box and didn't accept my response to the last question.

My Quant was better than usual. I found it easier to solve the questions, felt like I was able to find answers to the questions and answer them.

When I finished AWA, to my utter dismay, my score was a mere 610! (Q38 V35 IR7). To say that I was crushed will be an understatement. I spoke to friends and mentors and received the overwhelming response that there's no point in applying with this score, at least not for an Indian candidate (since Quant is unacceptably low).

I even tried emailing the schools asking them to let me submit my application with a 610 and then submit a revised score 3-4 weeks later, but they refused. This means that all those edits to the essays, running behind my recommenders to get the LoRs, CV edits, alumni connections and everything else - went out the window. My only way out is to apply 3-4 years later after gaining relevant work experience. But I can't seem to understand what went so wrong with my GMAT score.

Appreciate any help!

Many thanks,

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Don't know what went wrong at the actual exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 13:37
Always remember that GMAT is like a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes a great amount of study in a short duration leads to no significant score improvement. If you look closely at your practice test scores and the actual GMAT score, you'd not see a tremendous dip in the score. Anyhow, you are young and have the luxury of time; you can always take the test again. I know it might be hard to see all those application work did not fetch you immediate results, but definitely, it did not go all in vain. All the best.
P
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 10:39
Chin up and give it another shot soon. I understand the experience would have been frustrating but this is the best learning experience one can ever ask for. Granted, it is an expensive one but at least it will help you for the next attempt.

Best wishes!
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 03:24
stitchfix01 wrote:
Hi all

A little background: I am a final year law student from one of the elite law schools in India, was planning on applying to a couple deferred programs (top 10 US Schools). My undergraduate GPA translates to roughly 80%, which, I have been told, is a very competitive score for people who come from Humanities background.

Application deadline for the schools I wanted to apply is today and tomorrow (April 8 and 9th) and I took the GMAT yesterday.

I had started preparing for the GMAT off and on in Feb'19 but started seriously only by 10th March. I realized all along that my quant was super weak because I have not studied anything even remotely related to quant in the last 6 years. I was also working on my essays/getting my recos in order side by side.

Took the first official mock on 12/03/19 and scored a 620 (Q47 V30)

Worked very hard for the next 10 days and worked on my problems. Second official mock on 21/03/19, and scored a 670 (Q45 V38).

Purchased the next 2 free mocks, worked super hard on my mistakes and took the third mock on 31/03/19 and scored a 700 (Q46 V41).

In my fourth and final official mock, I felt out of sync and my score fell to 660 (Q44 V38). It was 4 days before the exam but I looked up all my weak areas and worked on quant (and quant only) until the test day.

Test day: Was well rested the morning of the test day. Started the test with Verbal (usual strategy) and I was doing well - felt that the questions were getting super tough, but messed up time management and had to mark the last 3 questions without reading. When I marked the very last question, it showed me the "you have run out of time" dialogue box and didn't accept my response to the last question.

My Quant was better than usual. I found it easier to solve the questions, felt like I was able to find answers to the questions and answer them.

When I finished AWA, to my utter dismay, my score was a mere 610! (Q38 V35 IR7). To say that I was crushed will be an understatement. I spoke to friends and mentors and received the overwhelming response that there's no point in applying with this score, at least not for an Indian candidate (since Quant is unacceptably low).

I even tried emailing the schools asking them to let me submit my application with a 610 and then submit a revised score 3-4 weeks later, but they refused. This means that all those edits to the essays, running behind my recommenders to get the LoRs, CV edits, alumni connections and everything else - went out the window. My only way out is to apply 3-4 years later after gaining relevant work experience. But I can't seem to understand what went so wrong with my GMAT score.

Appreciate any help!

Many thanks,

Posted from my mobile device

Hi stitchfix01,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Luck sometimes plays a very important role in your GMAT so do not be disheartened. Just prepare yourself one more time for your GMAT and this time focus most of your energy in improving your Quant score.

On a different note, if you are aiming for your top 10 schools for their deferral programs, I am certain Columbia does give 3 weeks extra to submit your GMAT score. A friend of mine was in the similar position and he has been told that he can submit his GMAT within 3 weeks. Did you get in touch with them? Try to call them up and explain your situation, it may work out for you.

Hope this helps. All the best!
Re: Don't know what went wrong at the actual exam   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 03:24

Don't know what went wrong at the actual exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap