Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Double failure: 530!!Really demotivated for a potential third attempt. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ZuKi,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Between exams, your Quant DID improve from a Q35 to a Q40 though, so you were clearly making some progress there. Whatever problems you had in the Verbal section continued to occur though. When a Test Taker experiences the type of score drops that you're describing, the likely explanations fall into one of two categories:

1) Something you were doing during your studies was NOT realistic, so you weren't properly ready for the specifics of Test Day.
2) Something about about Test Day itself threw you "off" and affected your performance.

If you can answer a few questions, I can probably help you sort out why your study results aren't lining up with your Test Day results:

1) When you took your CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you ever take your CATs more than once?
3) What time of day did you take your CATs and what time of day were your Official GMATs?
4) Did you ever do anything during a CAT that did NOT match how the Official GMAT is administered (skipping sections, pausing the Test, listening to music, eating/drinking during the Exam, using a laptop computer instead of a desktop computer with a mouse, etc.)?

5) How often do you visit these Forums to review practice questions?
6) How long did you use each of the GMAT resources that you described?

7) How many CATs did you take in the week before your Official GMAT?
8) How did you sleep the night before each of your GMATs?
9) How long is the ride to the Testing Center?
10) Did you have a pacing problem on Test Day? Did you have to rush through a bunch of questions just to finish (and if so, then approximately how many?) Did you leave ANY questions unanswered?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a standardized, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to CRUSH it. Also, since Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, retaking the GMAT is not a problem. Before going back in and retesting though, we have to figure out what went wrong so that we can fix it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Double failure: 530!!Really demotivated for a potential third attempt. [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for coming back to my post! Btw, I really enjoyed the empowergmat course, really helped me in the Q section to diversify the approach and better understand how the exam works. However I did improve in the Q section, I'm still far from my target.

Please find bellow my answers to your questions.

Cheers

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ZuKi,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Between exams, your Quant DID improve from a Q35 to a Q40 though, so you were clearly making some progress there. Whatever problems you had in the Verbal section continued to occur though. When a Test Taker experiences the type of score drops that you're describing, the likely explanations fall into one of two categories:

1) Something you were doing during your studies was NOT realistic, so you weren't properly ready for the specifics of Test Day. --> From my first attempt I recon that I did some things that potentially had an impact.
2) Something about about Test Day itself threw you "off" and affected your performance. --> I've been working a lot and studying a lot as well, and the last 2 weeks from test day I was fully focused on practicing. I might have study 8h per day easily.

If you can answer a few questions, I can probably help you sort out why your study results aren't lining up with your Test Day results: --> that would be awesome!

1) When you took your CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR sections)? --> I did yes, but for example, for my second attempt I did remember a number of the IR questions. Nevertheless I still had the extension pack exam nº4 pending to be done and I did it scoring 690.
2) Did you ever take your CATs more than once? I did.
3) What time of day did you take your CATs and what time of day were your Official GMATs? 2h difference between the test date and the exam. I don't feel this is a major issue
4) Did you ever do anything during a CAT that did NOT match how the Official GMAT is administered (skipping sections, pausing the Test, listening to music, eating/drinking during the Exam, using a laptop computer instead of a desktop computer with a mouse, etc.)? --> I did use my laptop, I don't have a desktop. Additionally for my first exam I was totally overloaded with work and I had to pause the exam sometimes to answer the phone. I obviously understood this was a issue.

5) How often do you visit these Forums to review practice questions? --> Every single question I come to the forum to see if there is a more efficient approach or just understand how to solve the question.
6) How long did you use each of the GMAT resources that you described? --> I've been using those for quite a while, I used as well the OG.

7) How many CATs did you take in the week before your Official GMAT? --> In the week before the exam I took 2 CATs.
8) How did you sleep the night before each of your GMATs? --> Pretty well, around 7h. This is my normal schedule for the week.
9) How long is the ride to the Testing Center? --> Really close to my place.
10) Did you have a pacing problem on Test Day? Did you have to rush through a bunch of questions just to finish (and if so, then approximately how many?) Did you leave ANY questions unanswered? --> I answered every single question. In my first exam I had to guess around 10 question on Q and an entire RC passage on the verbal section. On this last one I didn't had to rush through 10 questions on Q and I had to guess an entire passage as well - in my understanding this is the key reason for the improvement in the Q section.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a standardized, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to CRUSH it. Also, since Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, retaking the GMAT is not a problem. Before going back in and retesting though, we have to figure out what went wrong so that we can fix it. --> I'm really still trying to understand this. I'm afraid that I was too tired even if I slept well.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ZuKi,

The extra information that you've provided is helpful. There are a number of choices that you made during your studies that likely hurt your performance on Test Day (and gave you an unrealistic sense of your abilities). I'll address them in the order that you mentioned them:

1) Studying 8 hours a day is NOT a good idea. There's a point at which the human brain gets too tired and you would not have properly retained anything. Doing that much studying in the last 2 weeks before your GMAT likely caused you to "burn out", so you were too tired to perform well on the Official Exam (and you probably did not even realize it).

2) Any time you retake a CAT, you are likely to see repeat questions, which makes the CAT "easier" to deal with. As a result, your pacing and scoring were artificially "improved/inflated" so your score results were not realistic. By extension, you didn't have an accurate measure of what you were supposed to be working on to improve.

3) Time of day IS a factor when taking the Official GMAT. If you train well at a certain time of day, then THAT is the time of day when you should take your GMAT. Since you can schedule your GMAT only at certain times of day, you usually have to adjust when you take your CATs to match your Official Test Time. That did not happen in your case.

4) Doing anything unrealistic during a CAT tends to make the CAT result unrealistic. If you saw ANY of the CAT questions in these Forums BEFORE you saw them on a CAT, then that too is unrealistic and made the CAT easier.

Over the Course of 8 months, you've likely developed some "bad habits." It's going to take a certain amount of time to get you out of those habits and practicing correctly. With this new round of studies, you MUST emphasize realistic practice and focus on consistency. With two Official 530s, we have to assume that that is your current ability level. To score in the high 600s/700s, you're going to need to make some serious changes to how you approach this Test.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts