Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 07:20 It is currently 02 May 2024, 07:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Dramatical online test experience - flagged for review - scored 720? [#permalink]
The deadline for the programme for which I plan to apply is May27.

I had a student reach out for tutoring after they got a 700. They ended up with a 760 in less than 12 days. The 760 retake got put under admin review and it took about 2 weeks (15 business days) for the score to become Official. Hopefully, there will be no issue for you. These admin reviews appear to be happening more frequently now.

All the best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Dramatical online test experience - flagged for review - scored 720? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
naranai wrote:
Hi, AjiteshArun.

Thank you very much for your advices. I would keep up with my regular practice, just in case I need to take it again. Tho I really hope that they could let me know soon.

Yet, I’m just curious to know, based on your experience, do you think my situations, especially the 2nd point, violate the regulation? And that my score would very likely be cancelled?

Hi naranai,

Technically, that's a violation, as no one else is allowed to be in (or even pass through) your room. I don't know how strictly they enforce this rule, though. Your best bet is to wait.

It's good that you're continuing with your prep. Take the test-center exam if the review process takes too much time.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22120 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Dramatical online test experience - flagged for review - scored 720? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
naranai wrote:

Yet, I’m just curious to know, based on your experience, do you think my situations, especially the 2nd point, violate the regulation? And that my score would very likely be cancelled?

Hi naranai,

Technically, that's a violation, as no one else is allowed to be in (or even pass through) your room. I don't know how strictly they enforce this rule, though. Your best bet is to wait.

It's good that you're continuing with your prep. Take the test-center exam if the review process takes too much time.[/quote]

It's tough to say for sure, but I think you are doing the right thing by continuing to prepare in the case that you have to retake the GMAT. If you hear anything further, feel free to let us know.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dramatical online test experience - flagged for review - scored 720? [#permalink]
Kudos
Here’s the update,

I received an email from GMAC just now, saying that they are not only cancelling my test score but also banning me from taking GMAT for three years. The reason is that I was not alone in the room during the test (referred to the 2nd incident I listed above).

I am writing to appeal against the decisions as I couldn’t accept the three-year ban. I would argue that the accident happened during the break, and the proctor also conducted a thorough investigation of room scan and checking the operating tasks on my laptop before resuming the test.

I’m still in shock. I’d never expected such serious penalties given the nature of this incident.
Do you think that I could still have hope or you would agree that the decision is fair?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72972 [0]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow. That's insane. I am sorry!
I have not heard of anyone getting banned for 3 years who was legitimately on GMAT Club and for what it seems is a small issue (though against the policy) but does not seem it implies a ban.... does the ban apply for in-person and online tests? GMAT only or all GMAC tests such as EA?

I think you should appeal. It would need to happen to at least attest your innocence and perhaps take pictures of the room/space/etc.
I am sorry about this :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
naranai wrote:
Here’s the update,

I received an email from GMAC just now, saying that they are not only cancelling my test score but also banning me from taking GMAT for three years. The reason is that I was not alone in the room during the test (referred to the 2nd incident I listed above).

I am writing to appeal against the decisions as I couldn’t accept the three-year ban. I would argue that the accident happened during the break, and the proctor also conducted a thorough investigation of room scan and checking the operating tasks on my laptop before resuming the test.

I’m still in shock. I’d never expected such serious penalties given the nature of this incident.
Do you think that I could still have hope or you would agree that the decision is fair?

Hi naranai,

It's hard to say whether the decision is fair or not, but if you have given us an accurate idea of what happened, their reaction seems... excessive.

naranai wrote:
I did the test on the living room. During the break after the first Quantitative session, I went to use the toilet. Then, my brother prob also realised that it was my break, so he came out from his room to use the toilet. BUT, he didn’t come out by the time my 8-min break ended.

It seems your brother was in the room for at least some time during the test, not just during the break (technically, there's no difference, as the rules don't make an exception for breaks). If I were you, I'd check whether he or anyone else entered the room at any other point, and then file an appeal. The problem, of course, is that nothing they've done is outside the terms and conditions that you agreed to before taking the test, so your appeal is basically you saying "please".

Check whether this ban applies to the test-center GMAT as well. If it does, don't wait, start looking at alternatives like the GRE if you need to.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72972 [2]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You have good points Ajitesh.

I completely agree. I think some appeal can be made in regards to the proctor who clearly has seen the entire situation unfold but did not interrupt the test. The proctor likely wasn’t aware of exact rules and there’s no excuse breaking them but I feel you can make an appeal towards that since the situation transpired during the break and it sounds like it went by quickly. I am surprised about the severity of the punishment. Not sure how much of a success it will be but something to consider is that it will likely be a long process. I wouldn’t put your life on pause as the result of it and consider either taking the executive assessment which has become popular and prevalent or GRE. I

AjiteshArun wrote:
naranai wrote:
Here’s the update,

Hi naranai,

It's hard to say whether the decision is fair or not, but if you have given us an accurate idea of what happened, their reaction seems... excessive.

naranai wrote:
I did the test on the living room. During the break after the first Quantitative session, I went to use the toilet. Then, my brother prob also realised that it was my break, so he came out from his room to use the toilet. BUT, he didn’t come out by the time my 8-min break ended.

It seems your brother was in the room for at least some time during the test, not just during the break (technically, there's no difference, as the rules don't make an exception for breaks). If I were you, I'd check whether he or anyone else entered the room at any other point, and then file an appeal. The problem, of course, is that nothing they've done is outside the terms and conditions that you agreed to before taking the test, so your appeal is basically you saying "please".

Check whether this ban applies to the test-center GMAT as well. If it does, don't wait, start looking at alternatives like the GRE if you need to.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi naranai any update on this?

I'm facing exactly the same situation now. Did they change their decision on the appeal?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37341 posts