GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern) for MSQM

• 28% [4]
  • 71% [10]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
S
Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 08:44
Rankings are arbitrary between these two business schools so I am attempting to look past them. NYU at #10 and Duke at #12.

Duke Fuqua has offered me admission to their Inaugural Class of 2022 for their Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics program. The program cost is $66,000 and is set to begin September 2020 with a 2.5 day launch experience where professors, classmates, etc. meet and start the team building process. The remainder of the 19 months, with the exclusion of a 2.5 day immersion after (2) terms to help build solid and enuring leadership behaviors, is done online. The classes include online readings, pre-recorded lectures, individual assignments, team assignments and the 75-minute Synchronous Lecture each week. The program is (5) terms and each term is made up of (3) courses with the exception of the last term which is (4) courses for a total of (16) courses. They expect students to spend 15-20 hours per week on coursework.

I have applied to NYU Stern for their 2nd Cohort for the Master of Science in Quantitative Management program and should hear something relatively soon (before the deposit is due with Duke). The program cost is $67,000 and is set to begin in August 2020 with a long weekend Immersion on campus and then the remaining 20 months is done online with the exclusion of a 2nd Immersion in the middle of the program. The program is made up of (22) "short" courses that are each (3) weeks long and done (1) course at a time. Each course includes (2) lessons per week and these lessons are comprised of short videos, mini-lectures, demonstrations, worked examples and expert interviews. There are also optional 60 to 90 minute Synchronous Lectures each week.

The purpose of pursuing the Master of Science in Quantitative Management is to further assist me in moving into a position in which I lead a team of analysts at a larger company than I am with. The hindurance to pursuing full-time study is I have a wife and 3 kids. I do not want to give up full-time employment right now but I do want to further assist me in growing. I am not interested in certificate programs, continuing education courses, etc. I WANT to pursue this degree in this exact format.

I like the idea of (1) course at a time with NYU but I am hesitant because (3) weeks is not a lot of time to learn and retain information in my opinion.

As for Duke, I have built several connections that I speak with and interact with often, including the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. who wrote a letter for me for Duke.

I look forward to hearing opinions! Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 13:29
Congratulations on your admits! I am amazed you have the time and energy to pursue professional development with a large family. I feel I have all but given up and I have just 2, though I tend to spend too much time here, so there is probably where all my time goes :lol:

Most FT programs do 3-4 classes in quarters which are 6 weeks long. Doing 1 class for 3 weeks is the same thing in terms of coverage and material you are getting. I personally prefer fewer distractions and would prefer a format that does one class at a time vs. 3-4 that are happening in parallel. Seems I can focus on one thing and nail it vs. worrying about multiple classes + work + family.

I think you do have some benefits with the online program and i hope it is not disrupted by the COVID19. Many EMBA and online programs have a meaningful in-person component that serves as an anchor and I hope it won't be dislodged here.

As to which program to choose, I feel you are somewhat committed to Fuqua with the connections you have established and it would potentially turn them off should you choose to head to Stern. On the MBA side, the schools are close, and some may even argue that Fuqua is a stronger player in several fields. I feel they are close.

P.S. Retaining information is often not the goal of the Programs but rather to teach you how to obtain information quickly and quickly process it. I would not worry too much about retaining a lot.

PPS. I would make sure you can capitalize on the degree and get tangible benefits in the short and long term. There are obviously intangible benefits of prestige, accomplishment, and confidence. But you are also paying $60-70K and if they are coming from your pocket, I would make sure your employer is going to commit to bumping your pay. I have had situations with my employer where informal promises were made that were not kept and it resulted in people feeling pretty crappy after doing an MBA for 3 years and ultimately leaving. The person who promised, could not keep their promise because of corporate regulations that prohibit people from getting greater than 20% pay raise even if they got bumped up a position or two. The reality is always more complicated but you want to make sure you backed by your bosses about this investment.
Re: Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 06:01
After much thought and discussion with my wife and family, I have put my enrollment deposit down with Fuqua. I know more people voted for Stern, which I would have been happy to attend, but in the end I feel I am far more connected with Fuqua.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 14:49
FinanceMan wrote:
After much thought and discussion with my wife and family, I have put my enrollment deposit down with Fuqua. I know more people voted for Stern, which I would have been happy to attend, but in the end I feel I am far more connected with Fuqua.

Congratulations on your choice! i think you did well and good luck with your program and studies next year!!!
P.S. You make us all look bad as a father who is doing an MBA and working a full time job. I can only do one of those :lol:
Re: Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2020, 14:49

Duke (Fuqua) or NYU (Stern)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate