GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During last year's election, a section of politically biased media

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
During last year's election, a section of politically biased media  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 10:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:13) correct 62% (01:14) wrong based on 167 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During last year's election, a section of politically biased media criticized only the views of liberals, not those of conservatives.

A. a section of politically biased media criticized only the views of liberals, not those of conservatives.
B. a section of media, politically biased, criticized only the views of liberals, not the conservatives.
C. a section of media, politically biased, criticized only the views of liberals, not those of conservatives.
D. a section of politically biased media criticized only the views of liberals, not the conservatives.
E. a section of media criticized only the politically biased views of liberals, not those of conservatives.

Source: Experts Global

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: During last year's election, a section of politically biased media  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 12:56
During last year's election, a section of politically biased media criticized only the views of liberals, not those of conservatives.

A. a section of politically biased media criticized only the views of liberals, not those of conservatives.
B. a section of media, politically biased, criticized only the views of liberals, not the conservatives.
C. a section of media, politically biased, criticized only the views of liberals, not those of conservatives.
D. a section of politically biased media criticized only the views of liberals, not the conservatives.
E. a section of media criticized only the politically biased views of liberals, not those of conservatives.

The sentence compares the views of liberals with those of consvervatives, not with the concersatives themselves. Thus, we can preclude B) and D).
Secondly, "politically biased" should refer to "section of media". This is the most logical assumption because if all of the media or only the liberals were biased, the statement makes less sense imo. I hope everyone can follow that logic as its not that easy to explain, but rather intuitive imo. This leaves us with answer choice C), which correctly calls a section of the media politically biased. This makes the most sense.

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Intern
Intern
B
Re: During last year's election, a section of politically biased media  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 00:03
First Check for Parallelism that -
" the views of liberals" so further also this should be - " those of conservatives "
So (B) and (D) are excluded
Then its talking about Section of Media which is "politically biased " So it make sense with option (C)

Option D - a section of media criticized only the politically biased views of liberals, not those of conservatives. (doesn't make sense )

Let me know if any doubt on my explanation .
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 17:00
I’m still a little confused, how do we compare A to C? Aren’t both referring to the section of media?
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
During last year's election, a section of politically biased media  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 00:05
A and C are both correct according to me.A is correct because politically biased media is also a possibility .And E is also correct if anyone consider a different meaning.I think this kind of questions appear when the question maker lacks the purpose of gmat SC questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 01:14
Yangyangdog wrote:
I’m still a little confused, how do we compare A to C? Aren’t both referring to the section of media?

Hi !

Option A says "a section of politically biased media" which means that only some part of the media which is biased" but the actual meaning to be conveyed is " in the media a section or part of it is biased".

At first it seemed weird to me as well because we talk in the above (A) language, but that is not correct in terms of the meaning we actually want to convey.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: During last year's election, a section of politically biased media &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 01:14

During last year's election, a section of politically biased media

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap