GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During the past week, 120 RamTech Corporation employees have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
During the past week, 120 RamTech Corporation employees have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2009, 06:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

53% (01:13) correct 47% (01:23) wrong based on 20 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the past week, 120 RamTech Corporation employees have reported symptoms of a strain of food poisoning known as disporella, but only eight of these employees have tested positive for the strain. A RamTech spokesperson claims that the apparent outbreak of disporella can be attributed to contaminated food served two weeks ago at the company's annual employee picnic.

Which of the following, if true, would most support the claim made by the RamTech spokesperson above?

(A) Disporella symptoms generally last only a few days.
(B) RamTech's cafeteria facilities provide lunch to Ram-Tech employees during every workday.
(C) People with disporella do not generally test positive for disporella until at least one week after disporella symptoms begin to occur.
(D) People with disporella often do not exhibit disporella symptoms until more than a week after contracting disporella.
(E) A person can test positive for disporella without exhibiting symptoms of disporella.

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Re: CR Find the correct option!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2009, 06:51
Only D make sense

maddy2u wrote:
During the past week, 120 RamTech Corporation employees have reported symptoms of a strain of food poisoning known as disporella, but only eight of these employees have tested positive for the strain. A RamTech spokesperson claims that the apparent outbreak of disporella can be attributed to contaminated food served two weeks ago at the company's annual employee picnic.

Which of the following, if true, would most support the claim made by the RamTech spokesperson above?

(B) RamTech's cafeteria facilities provide lunch to Ram-Tech employees during every workday.
(C) People with disporella do not generally test positive for disporella until at least one week after disporella symptoms begin to occur.
(D) People with disporella often do not exhibit disporella symptoms until more than a week after contracting disporella.
(E) A person can test positive for disporella without exhibiting symptoms of disporella.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2009, 09:42
Only option C seems to clarify the discrepancy between SYMPTOMS and POSITIVE TEST
Manager
Manager
Schools: IU KSB

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2009, 10:20
maddy2u wrote:

I would go for 'C'

120 People show symptom but only of them 8 test positive

Reasoning: 112 people who have not tested positive will test positive within a week because People with disporella do not generally test positive for disporella until at least one week after disporella symptoms begin to occur.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2009, 13:34
In my opinion, answer is D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2009, 18:55
C makes more sense.

(A) Disporella symptoms generally last only a few days. - Who cares?
(B) RamTech's cafeteria facilities provide lunch to Ram-Tech employees during every workday. - SO???
(C) People with disporella do not generally test positive for disporella until at least one week after disporella symptoms begin to occur. - BEST ANSWER (Do not test positive for disporella - correlates to only eight of these employees have tested positive for the strain).
(D) People with disporella often do not exhibit disporella symptoms until more than a week after contracting disporella. - Ignores the 8 people who tested positive.
(E) A person can test positive for disporella without exhibiting symptoms of disporella. - Irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2009, 19:05
Will go with C as well. What's the OA?

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2009, 20:14
my ans is C
whats the OA ?
wats the source of the ques ??
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2009, 06:14
OA is D

Reason:

The argument relies on the unstated assumption that no other event since the picnic could have caused the outbreak instead. Statement (D) provides some evidence that the employees who have reported disporella symptoms in fact contracted disporella at least one week ago. Accordingly, (D) helps support the claim that it was the food served at the picnic two weeks ago that caused the outbreak. Admittedly, (D) would provide even stronger support if it indicated that symptoms never appear until one week after contamination. Nevertheless, (D) is the best of the five answer choices.

(C) provides some support for the argument, insofar as it helps to explain why only a few of those reporting symptoms have tested positive so far. However, the spokesperson's claim is not just that the 120 employees have disporella but that it was the picnic food that caused the outbreak. (C) helps show that the 120 employees have disporella, but does not help explain how they contracted disporella. For this reason (D) is a better choice than (C).

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2009, 13:24
I would chose C. Now looking back I see why D is better. Tricky question and answer choices.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2009, 14:46

C) People with disporella do not generally test positive for disporella until at least one week after disporella symptoms begin to occur.

I fell for C as well but find the reason for D. Pls correct me if i got it wrong.
This q. is really interesting.
C.) fill the logical gap between 120 symtoms and 8 positives. This choice is really attractive because the premise tricks us that there is discrepancy between two number. 120 RamTech Corporation employees have reported symptoms of a strain of food poisoning known as disporella, "BUT" only eight of these employees have tested positive for the strain. So, i am drawn to fill in this gap.
D) after i know that it is D, there is only one explanation that i can find-i am better stick with conclusion(than premise)-. "spokesperson claims that the apparent outbreak of disporella can be attributed to contaminated food served two weeks ago at the company's annual employee picnic"--> implies that not other event but only annual picnic. So find the answer choice that get rid of the other alternative to the conclusion by the timeline(a week).

Please share you path to the correct ans or you may comment my thinking process
Loads of thx

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2009, 20:47
it is D, because the food was served two week ago as said the spokesperson, so C is not correct because if the tests were done one week after, everybody should be tested positive. Since the food was served two week before, and one week after the tests were done, and as D explain, just few people was tested positive because the disporella often disappear one week later.
Therefore there is no confusion, the answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2009, 00:23
Tricky question, got to d by eliminating the others.

Rock On

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2009, 11:34
Tricky Question..was adamant on 'C' until i read 'ludwigfraboulet' post.Thanks!

His words -"just few people was tested positive because the disporella often disappear one week later." cleared the meaning.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2011, 06:13
between C and D,went for C instead.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 03:30
clearly this is between C and D . got D finally after comparing C and D and looking back at the conclusion for exact words. this was time consuming

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Re: CR Find the correct option!!! &nbs [#permalink] 16 May 2011, 03:30

During the past week, 120 RamTech Corporation employees have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap