GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 09:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:08) correct 44% (02:15) wrong based on 476 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners--Runners A and Runners B--take part in an experiment measuring their VO2 max, the volume of oxygen an athlete can use. During these sessions, the runners engaged in moderate aerobic activity, or a sustained heart rate between 146-154 beats per minute. At the end of the sessions, Runner A had a greater VO2 max than Runner B. Therefore, once the two runners begin identical intensive training--sessions involving over 168 beats per minute-- for the race season, Runner A will continue to have the greater VO2 max, assuming that neither become injured and that both train with similar intensity.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the argument rests?

A. Runner A and Runner B had similar VO2 maxes upon entering the study.

B. Regarding their VO2 maxes, runners respond equally to intensive training.

C. Intensive training involves sessions in which athletes maintain a heartbeat over 168 beats per minute.

D. The amount one trains does not influence one’s VO2 max.

E. During the experiment, Runner A did not always have the greater VO2 max than Runner B.

Day 30 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
Re: During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 09:59
Did pre-thinking here.. so the answer basically explains how the VO2 max would be correlated even when the training sessions involves over 168 beats per min.. based on that I am going with , as increased intensive training would still not influences the VO2 max measurement. The intention is to address the assumption that addresses the conclusion (Based on which we can eliminate all other choices)

During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners--Runners A and Runners B--take part in an experiment measuring their VO2 max, the volume of oxygen an athlete can use. During these sessions, the runners engaged in moderate aerobic activity, or a sustained heart rate between 146-154 beats per minute. At the end of the sessions, Runner A had a greater VO2 max than Runner B. Therefore, once the two runners begin identical intensive training--sessions involving over 168 beats per minute-- for the race season, Runner A will continue to have the greater VO2 max, assuming that neither become injured and that both train with similar intensity.

C. Intensive training involves sessions in which athletes maintain a heartbeat over 168 beats per minute.

E. During the experiment, Runner A did not always have the greater VO2 max than Runner B.

Please kudos if you find this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 10:33
During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners A and B--take part in an experiment measuring their VO2 max,

During these sessions, the runners engaged in moderate aerobic activity(heart rate between 146-154 beats per minute. )

At the end of the sessions, Runner A had a greater VO2 max than Runner B.

Therefore, once the two runners begin identical intensive training--sessions involving over 168 beats per minute-- for the race season, Runner A will continue to have the greater VO2 max, assuming that neither become injured and that both train with similar intensity.

(Similar or greater or less does not matter. A must have more VO2 than B. This need not be assumed.)

(as per the session, VO2 maxes of A>VO2 maxes of B and if they respond equally the VO2 maxes of A continues to be greater than VO2 maxes of B. If we negate this statement, we say Runners do not respond equally to the training, then the result may or may not favor conclusion.)

(This is mentioned in the argument. Not an assumption)

(Whether the training does influence Oxygen levels in Postive(supports the conclusion) or negative(weakens) or does not(same as is from the sessions......A>B supports cannot surely support the conclusion.)

(This weakens if not anything.)

I eliminated C and E quickly leaving A, B and D.
Out of these three I chose B.
I hope my analysis is right.
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 11:48
Good question. Took little time to comprehend.

This is a typical 3/2 incorrect/may be correct question. Took little time to prove one wrong and the other one right.

OA awating.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 16:11

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 22:39
Eliminated 3 choices in less than a min. With the rest 2 choices, only 1 seems to go with my pre-thinking. Done in 1min6secs.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.12
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 23:07
souvik101990 wrote:

Eliminated 3 option pretty quickly, but got stuck in the other 2 for a while...still confused..Waiting for the OA.

IMO

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 01:00
souvik101990 wrote:

Day 30 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

tricky question, had to choose one. The question is not given properly. It says Runners in the beginning and Runner at the end. This confuses a lot.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 03:16
For this level of question, I believe the POE method is the best. My choice is B
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 09:39
two choices seemed of similar weightage but then when i read the third choice which is correct the earlier two seemed absolutely wrong.

oa awaited!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 10:32
My answer is also B . Reason : If we negate the statement Runners respond equally to intensive training i.e. Runners dont respond equally to intensive training with regards to VO2 max, then the conclusion falls flat as there is no basis why Runner A will still be better than Runner B.

I still find A interesting though. If we look at the statement critically i.e. if both didnt enter with same VO2 and one always had more VO2 ability then then the conclusion that same runner has more VO2 kind of sounds little problematic.

Lets see.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 02:03
everything is in the passage:
all you have to do is read and understand EACH GIVEN word.

During these sessions, the runners engaged in moderate aerobic activity, or a sustained heart rate between 146-154 beats per minute. At the end of the sessions, Runner A had a greater VO2 max than Runner B
Meaning - The experiment conducted involved MODERATE AERBOBIC ACTIVITY.
The result A>B is for moderate activity.

herefore, once the two runners begin identical intensive training--sessions involving over 168 beats per minute-- for the race season, Runner A will continue to have the greater VO2 max, assuming that neither become injured and that both train with similar intensity.
Conclusion- is for INTENSIVE training...

is it possible that A is good at moderate but not at intensive???? YES

so we have to close this gap.
Hence B
GMAT Club Bot
Re: During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners &nbs [#permalink] 24 Sep 2018, 02:03

During the period in which there are no competitive races, two runners

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap