Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618682 [36]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: During the Renaissance, scholars were uncertain as to the location of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
During the Renaissance, scholars were uncertain as to the location of Troy, and by the eighteenth century many historians doubted that Troy had ever existed.

(A) doubted that Troy had ever existed Correct answer. Correct usage of past perfect for the earlier of two events (Troy existing) and simple past for the latter (historians doubting).

(B) doubt that Troy has ever existed Incorrect usage of present perfect for Troy's existence since it clearly does not exist now. Eliminate.

(C) were in doubt as to the existence of Troy "in doubt about" is the correct idiom. Eliminate.

(D) were doubtful concerning Troy’s existence "doubtful about <noun>" is the correct usage. Eliminate.

(E) had doubts about Troy’s ever existing "Troy's" brings in possessive which is not correct since it is followed by a verb ("existing") and not a property of Troy. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.

Srini
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
During the Renaissance, scholars were uncertain as to the location of [#permalink]
EducationAisle

Option B:- This is incorrect because this option uses simple present tense, and we are talking about the time of Renaissance.

Options C and D can be eliminated because the chronological sequence is not established in the actions like option A.

Please evaluate my reasoning and add your two cents.

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: During the Renaissance, scholars were uncertain as to the location of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle

Option B:- This is incorrect because this option uses simple present tense, and we are talking about the time of Renaissance.

Options C and D can be eliminated because the chronological sequence is not established in the actions like option A.

Please evaluate my reasoning and add your two cents.

The main point about this question, is the appropriateness of past perfect ("had existed"). Two things happened in the past:

(i) 18th century
(ii) The existence of Troy

Since the existence/non-existence of Troy happened at some time before the 18th century, (ii) should be expressed as past perfect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle

Sir,
Was my reasoning above correct?

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle

Sir,
Was my reasoning above correct?

Thanks

Yes, and that's what I mention in my post: Past perfect is the tense that should be used here and only option A uses this tense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A for using the tense sequence properly i.e, past perfect for Troy's existence and simple past for 18th century.

Since the renaissance is from 14th century to 16th century i.e. further in the past. Shouldn't it be the one with "had+V3" ??? Please help me if my understanding is wrong
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM