GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 02:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 201
Location: United States
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 10:52
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:51) correct 44% (02:14) wrong based on 67 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on each of the 12 cards in the deck are consecutive. In a certain game, the number points awarded for each turn is determined by drawing two cards and multiplying the numbers shown on the cards. If the points awarded in three turns are 40, 72, and 60,all of the following could be the smallest numbered card in the deck EXCEPT

(A) -1
(B) 0
(C) 4
(D) 5
(E) 6
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13050
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:07
2
Hi Turkish,

As wordy and 'layered' as this question looks, if you recognize how the 'restrictions' interact with one another, and pay attention to the answer choices, then you can avoid most of the work.

We're told a number of facts about a game and the cards that you use to play the game:
1) There are 12 cards, each with an integer written on it
2) The integers are consecutive
3) After drawing 2 cards, you multiply the product of the two numbers on the cards
4) The scores 40, 72 and 60 are earned during three turns.

We're asked which of the answers could NOT be the smallest number in the deck.

Let's focus on the number 40....

Since we have to get to the number 40 by using the product of 2 integers that are within "range" of one another (remember there are only 12 integers and they are CONSECUTIVE), there are only a few possible options....

40 =
(1)(40) --> NOT an option, since 1 and 40 are not within 12 integers.
(2)(20) --> NOT an option either
(4)(10) --> This IS an option
(5)(8) --> This IS an option

To get the "40" score, you either need the 4 or the 5....so one or the other or both needs to be on one of the cards.

Thus, there's no way that the 6 can be the smallest card.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 538
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:15
Turkish wrote:
Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on each of the 12 cards in the deck are consecutive. In a certain game, the number points awarded for each turn is determined by
drawing two cards and multiplying the numbers shown on the cards. If the points awarded in three turns are 40, 72, and 60,all of the following could be the smallest numbered card in the deck EXCEPT
(A) -1
(B) 0
(C) 4
(D) 5
(E) 6


As 40 is the smallest score . Lets check it.
40 can be written as product of 1*40, 2*20, 4*10, 5*8
but given to us is 12 as highest number so only 4*10 or 5*8 combinations are possible. minimum can't be 6.

E
_________________

Thanks,
Lucky

_______________________________________________________
Kindly press the Image to appreciate my post !! :-)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1236
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:28
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Turkish,

As wordy and 'layered' as this question looks, if you recognize how the 'restrictions' interact with one another, and pay attention to the answer choices, then you can avoid most of the work.

We're told a number of facts about a game and the cards that you use to play the game:
1) There are 12 cards, each with an integer written on it
2) The integers are consecutive
3) After drawing 2 cards, you multiply the product of the two numbers on the cards
4) The scores 40, 72 and 60 are earned during three turns.

We're asked which of the answers could NOT be the smallest number in the deck.

Let's focus on the number 40....

Since we have to get to the number 40 by using the product of 2 integers that are within "range" of one another (remember there are only 12 integers and they are CONSECUTIVE), there are only a few possible options....

40 =
(1)(40) --> NOT an option, since 1 and 40 are not within 12 integers.
(2)(20) --> NOT an option either
(4)(10) --> This IS an option
(5)(8) --> This IS an option

To get the "40" score, you either need the 4 or the 5....so one or the other or both needs to be on one of the cards.

Thus, there's no way that the 6 can be the smallest card.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


I reread your answer twice but still can't grasp one thing: how 0 and -1 can be the smallest number in this question?
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13050
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:34
Lucky2783 wrote:
Turkish wrote:
Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on each of the 12 cards in the deck are consecutive. In a certain game, the number points awarded for each turn is determined by
drawing two cards and multiplying the numbers shown on the cards. If the points awarded in three turns are 40, 72, and 60,all of the following could be the smallest numbered card in the deck EXCEPT

but given to us is 12 as highest number so only 4*10 or 5*8 combinations are possible. minimum can't be 6.

E


Hi Lucky2783,

You've correctly answered the question, but part of what you stated in your explanation in NOT correct. The prompt states that there are 12 cards, each has an integer written on it and the integers are consecutive. That means that the numbers are 12 consecutive integers, NOT that the largest integer is 12.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13050
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:41
2
Harley1980 wrote:

I reread your answer twice but still can't grasp one thing: how 0 and -1 can be the smallest number in this question?


Hi Harley1980,

My approach focused on proving that 6 could NOT be the smallest integer (rather than proving that the other 4 answers COULD be the smallest integer). Here's the proof that -1 and 0 each could have been the smallest integer though.....

Since we're dealing with 12 consecutive integers...

IF...
-1 was the smallest, then we'd have the numbers -1 to +10, inclusive
We could get 40 with (4)(10) or (5)(8)
We could get 72 with (8)(9)
We could get 60 with (6)(10)
Thus, -1 COULD be the smallest integer

IF....
0 was the smallest, then we'd have the numbers 0 to +11, inclusive
We could get 40 with (4)(10) or (5)(8)
We could get 72 with (8)(9)
We could get 60 with (6)(10)
Thus, 0 COULD be the smallest integer

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1236
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

I reread your answer twice but still can't grasp one thing: how 0 and -1 can be the smallest number in this question?


Hi Harley1980,

My approach focused on proving that 6 could NOT be the smallest integer (rather than proving that the other 4 answers COULD be the smallest integer). Here's the proof that -1 and 0 each could have been the smallest integer though.....

Since we're dealing with 12 consecutive integers...

IF...
-1 was the smallest, then we'd have the numbers -1 to +10, inclusive
We could get 40 with (4)(10) or (5)(8)
We could get 72 with (8)(9)
We could get 60 with (6)(10)
Thus, -1 COULD be the smallest integer

IF....
0 was the smallest, then we'd have the numbers 0 to +11, inclusive
We could get 40 with (4)(10) or (5)(8)
We could get 72 with (8)(9)
We could get 60 with (6)(10)
Thus, 0 COULD be the smallest integer

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Thank you.
I missed the words "in the deck" and thought about cards that we have drawn.
But after your answer I have realised my mistake.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 538
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 11:52
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
Turkish wrote:
Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on each of the 12 cards in the deck are consecutive. In a certain game, the number points awarded for each turn is determined by
drawing two cards and multiplying the numbers shown on the cards. If the points awarded in three turns are 40, 72, and 60,all of the following could be the smallest numbered card in the deck EXCEPT

but given to us is 12 as highest number so only 4*10 or 5*8 combinations are possible. minimum can't be 6.

E


Hi Lucky2783,

You've correctly answered the question, but part of what you stated in your explanation in NOT correct. The prompt states that there are 12 cards, each has an integer written on it and the integers are consecutive. That means that the numbers are 12 consecutive integers, NOT that the largest integer is 12.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks rich.

anyways we are looking for smallest number so 1-12 is correct set to choose.
_________________

Thanks,
Lucky

_______________________________________________________
Kindly press the Image to appreciate my post !! :-)

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9088
Premium Member
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 13:44
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on &nbs [#permalink] 21 Feb 2018, 13:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Each card in a deck has an integer written on it, and the integers on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.