Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: Easy prob [#permalink]
novi wrote:
amit2k9 wrote:
please post the complete question to have a better understanding.

Hello,

I simply tried to keep it short, but looks like i failed :)

It is the introductoin to the "Greatest Common Factor" out of the ManhattenGMAT Prep book. I hope I can write it down without violating any copyright. ;)

"It is likely that you already know how to find both the GCF and the LCM. For example, when you reduce the fraction 9/12 to 3/4, you are dividing both the numerator (9) and the denominator (12) by 3, which is the GCF of 9 and 12. When you add together the fractions 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/5, you convert the fractions to thiertieths: And so on and so on."

I know what the GCF is and I calculate with it alot. I still dont know the the factor of 1/5 here. Sometimes I cant see it.

Thank you.

I believe you won't violate any copyright if you post few questions from a book. So far you don't paste their entire content, it's just fine. In fact, the prep companies may see this as a free marketing of their book. A quality question may influence a reader to buy their entire book/study material. Moreover, most of the questions posted in this forum are from various prep sources and we don't hear any voice of objection from them.

I still don't understand your question.

What do you mean by "factor of 1/5"?
You presented an example wherein you simplified a fraction by diving it with the GCD of numerator and denominator.

For, 1/2+1/3+1/5
Take LCM of (2,3,5), which is 30.
And proceed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ahhh, now I got it. Thanks man. Sometimes I just can't see the simple things in life, you opened my eyes. No joke!

Greats!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts