GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 21:08
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 435 sessions

64% (02:41) correct 36% (02:39) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 404 sessions

78% (01:07) correct 22% (01:07) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 385 sessions

78% (00:45) correct 22% (00:49) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 381 sessions

62% (01:15) correct 38% (01:25) wrong

Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids could help people maintain healthy brains as they age as well as protect their hearts, new research suggests. Per this research, participants with low levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood had slightly smaller brains and scored lower on memory and cognitive tests than people with higher blood levels of omega-3s.

The researchers then looked at and ranked the level of omega-3 fatty acids in the participants' blood. People who scored in the bottom 25% in omega-3 fatty acid levels were compared with the rest of the study participants. Researchers found that those who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid levels in their blood had lower brain gray matter volume compared with those with higher levels.

Gray matter volume is crucial to brain health. When it remains higher, brain health is being maintained. Decrease in gray matter volume indicates that brain cells are shrinking. The findings showed that consumption of baked or broiled fish on a weekly basis was positively associated with retention of gray matter volume in several areas of the brain. In fact the greater hippocampal, posterior cingulate, and orbital frontal cortex volumes obtained by optimal fish consumption led to reduced risk of contracting MCI or Alzheimer’s by almost five-fold.

The most recent U.S. dietary guidelines—released last year—recommend at least two servings of seafood a week. Some doctors and diet experts recommend that patients consume fish three times a week or take fish-oil supplements so they get enough omega-3 fatty acids to obtain health benefits.

1) According to the passage, people who eat foods rich in Omega 3 acids experience which of the following benefits

A) Improve memory and retention

B) Increase gray matter volume that leads to improved analytical skills

C) Do not suffer from diseases such as Alzheimer's

D) Are on an average at a much lower risk of contracting Alzheimer's when compared to the general population, regardless of their family history

E) Are able to maintain a healthy brain for longer as they age

2) The experiment discussed in paragraph 2 suggests

A) People who scored in the top quartile took Omega 3 supplements while those who scored lower did not.

B) For people in any age group, there is a direct correlation between Omega 3 and the amount of gray matter.

C) There is a high probability that people with extremely low levels of Omega 3 in blood will also have low gray matter volume

D) The reason why kids don’t do as well in Maths and science is due to the low intake of Omega 3.

E) Taking Omega 3 beyond a point has little impact on the amount of grey matter volume build up.

3) The author’s main purpose in writing the passage is

A) Describing a research and presenting its findings

B) Comparing the benefits provided by Omega 3 in regards to preventing MCI or Alzheimer’s.

C) Discussing the utility of various varieties of fish as a source of Omega 3.

D) Comparing how the risk of contracting MCI or Alzheimer’s reduces with the corresponding increased intake of fish rich in Omega 3.

E) Justifying the reason that U.S. dietary guidelines recommend at least two servings of seafood a week.

4) The passage suggests the following about diet and gray matter volume

A) Regular consumption of foods rich in Omega 3 help maintains gray matter volume for longer periods.

B) People who eat foods richer in Omega 3 tend to have higher than average gray matter volume.

C) It is important to maintain gray matter volume above a certain level to avoid risk of MCI or Alzheimer’s.

D) Any irregularity in consuming foods rich in Omega 3 would result in reduction in brain gray matter volume.

E) Once the gray matter volume reduces, it is not possible to increase the same by consuming foods rich in Omega 3.

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior RC Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 08:03
1) According to the passage, people who eat foods rich in Omega 3 acids experience which of the following benefits

The passage didn't talk anything about improving memory. The passage talks about retention but it specifies retention of gray matter volume. INCORRECT

The passage doesn't talk about increasing gray matter volume. It talks only about retention of gray matter volume. The analytical skills are not mentioned in the passage INCORRECT

The passage says eating foods rich in Omega 3 acids reduces risk of Alzheimer's. It doesn't mean no suffering. INCORRECT

D) Are on an average at a much lower risk of contracting Alzheimer's when compared to the general population, regardless of their family history

No mention of family history in the passage. INCORRECT

This option is a paraphrase of the very first sentence in the passage CORRECT

A) People who scored in the top quartile took Omega 3 supplements while those who scored lower did not.

The second paragraph doesn't talk about how people in the top quartile obtain Omega 3 supplements INCORRECT

B) For people in any age group, there is a direct correlation between Omega 3 and the amount of gray matter.

Paragraph talks about "people who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid" and option B talks about "For people in any age group" INCORRECT

C) There is a high probability that people with extremely low levels of Omega 3 in blood will also have low gray matter volume

From the comparison presented in second paragraph, this can be inferred. CORRECT

D) The reason why kids don’t do as well in Maths and science is due to the low intake of Omega 3.

No mention of performance in Maths and science INCORRECT

E) Taking Omega 3 beyond a point has little impact on the amount of grey matter volume build up.

The second paragraph doesn't talk about any such limiting point after which Omega 3 has little impact on the amount of grey matter volume INCORRECT

The author presents the research in the first paragraph and discussed the findings in paragraphs 2, 3, 4 CORRECT

B) Comparing the benefits provided by Omega 3 in regards to preventing MCI or Alzheimer’s.

benefits provided by Omega 3 in regards to preventing MCI or Alzheimer’s is discussed only in paragraph 3 INCORRECT

various varieties of fish are not discussed in the passage INCORRECT

D) Comparing how the risk of contracting MCI or Alzheimer’s reduces with the corresponding increased intake of fish rich in Omega 3.

The diseases specified in this option are discussed only in paragraph 3 INCORRECT

E) Justifying the reason that U.S. dietary guidelines recommend at least two servings of seafood a week.

U.S. dietary guidelines are discussed only in paragraph 4 INCORRECT

A) Regular consumption of foods rich in Omega 3 help maintains gray matter volume for longer periods.

Paragraph 1 states omega-3 fatty acids could help people maintain healthy brains as they age. Paragraph 3 shows the relation between gray matter volume and brain health. From these, we can infer this option CORRECT

B) People who eat foods richer in Omega 3 tend to have higher than average gray matter volume.

Passage doesn't specify anything about average gray matter volume INCORRECT

C) It is important to maintain gray matter volume above a certain level to avoid risk of MCI or Alzheimer’s.

This option talks about gray matter volume above a certain level. The passage doesn't talk about this level INCORRECT

D) Any irregularity in consuming foods rich in Omega 3 would result in reduction in brain gray matter volume.

Irregularity in consuming foods rich in Omega 3 is not discussed INCORRECT

E) Once the gray matter volume reduces, it is not possible to increase the same by consuming foods rich in Omega 3.

The passage doesn't talk about how to increase gray matter volume INCORRECT

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 23:38
Hi workout, I need help with Q2.

the paragraph says (quote) Researchers found that those who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid levels in their blood had lower brain gray matter volume compared with those with higher levels (unquote). Does it not give direct correlation ?
Please tell me what I missed when I picked B instead of C.
Senior RC Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 23:46
Gagoosh wrote:

the paragraph says (quote) Researchers found that those who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid levels in their blood had lower brain gray matter volume compared with those with higher levels (unquote). Does it not give direct correlation ?

Gagoosh

Paragraph talks about "people who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid" and option B talks about "For people in any age group". That's a red signal.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 00:10
workout wrote:
Gagoosh wrote:

Gagoosh

Paragraph talks about "people who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid" and option B talks about "For people in any age group". That's a red signal.

...and extremely low level agrees with the lowest level. Got it. Thanks mate.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 03:45
Pls Explain 4th question. Where is it mentioned that omega 3 helps to maintain grey matter for longer periods?
workout
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.86
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 03:48
Why is the answer to Q.4 a? I picked B using the below extract from the passage as the basis for my answer?

"Researchers found that those who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid levels in their blood had lower brain gray matter volume compared with those with higher levels."
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 11:47
jasukhera ramyamannem

Let me explain you guys on Q4:-

Read these lines:-

"Gray matter volume is crucial to brain health. When it remains higher, brain health is being maintained. Decrease in gray matter volume indicates that brain cells are shrinking. The findings showed that consumption of baked or broiled fish on a weekly basis was positively associated with retention of gray matter volume in several areas of the brain."

This is matching with the lines mentioned : "Gray matter volume is crucial to brain health. When it remains higher, brain health is being maintained"
Hold on!

Never ever in the passage is said about gray matter being higher . It is always said that retention happens. So this is incorrect.

Not at all mentioned. "Important to maintain" should throw a sense of doubt here as this is not mentioned. Incorrect option.

Passage never talks about irregularity. Incorrect.

Ohh man!! Crap option!! Ignore again.

You see A is best of the lot.

Press Kudos if you find this helpful!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 00:33
Hi workout,

Isn't C for Q2 just a re-statement of researchers' findings. I chose A with the concept of complement information - https://gmatclub.com/forum/efficiently-tackle-inference-questions-in-rc-and-cr-145250.html.

Kudos to Kudos :)

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE: Web Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 03:19
Amazing passage to use option elimination technique.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 06:39
workout wrote:
Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids could help people maintain healthy brains as they age as well as protect their hearts, new research suggests. Per this research, participants with low levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood had slightly smaller brains and scored lower on memory and cognitive tests than people with higher blood levels of omega-3s.

The researchers then looked at and ranked the level of omega-3 fatty acids in the participants' blood. People who scored in the bottom 25% in omega-3 fatty acid levels were compared with the rest of the study participants. Researchers found that those who had the lowest level of omega-3 fatty acid levels in their blood had lower brain gray matter volume compared with those with higher levels.

Gray matter volume is crucial to brain health. When it remains higher, brain health is being maintained. Decrease in gray matter volume indicates that brain cells are shrinking. The findings showed that consumption of baked or broiled fish on a weekly basis was positively associated with retention of gray matter volume in several areas of the brain. In fact the greater hippocampal, posterior cingulate, and orbital frontal cortex volumes obtained by optimal fish consumption led to reduced risk of contracting MCI or Alzheimer’s by almost five-fold.

The most recent U.S. dietary guidelines—released last year—recommend at least two servings of seafood a week. Some doctors and diet experts recommend that patients consume fish three times a week or take fish-oil supplements so they get enough omega-3 fatty acids to obtain health benefits.

"Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids could help people maintain healthy brains as they age"

D) The reason why kids don’t do as well in Maths and science is due to the low intake of Omega 3. Too extreme.

1st para introduces a topic and rest of the paragraphs build upon it.

We need to find a relation between dier and gray matter volume.

"The findings showed that consumption of baked or broiled fish on a weekly basis was positively associated with retention of gray matter volume in several areas of the brain."

Gray matter has not been quantified.

"In fact the greater hippocampal, posterior cingulate, and orbital frontal cortex volumes obtained by optimal fish consumption led to reduced risk of contracting MCI or Alzheimer’s by almost five-fold."
The highlighted statement is too extreme and not supported by the passage.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 06:41

"Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids could help people maintain healthy brains as they age"

D) The reason why kids don’t do as well in Maths and science is due to the low intake of Omega 3. Too extreme.

1st para introduces a topic and rest of the paragraphs build upon it.

We need to find a relation between dier and gray matter volume.

"The findings showed that consumption of baked or broiled fish on a weekly basis was positively associated with retention of gray matter volume in several areas of the brain."

Gray matter has not been quantified.

"In fact the greater hippocampal, posterior cingulate, and orbital frontal cortex volumes obtained by optimal fish consumption led to reduced risk of contracting MCI or Alzheimer’s by almost five-fold."

[/box_in][/box_out][/quote]
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids &nbs [#permalink] 22 Sep 2018, 06:41

Eating fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap