GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     06:00 PM PST

     07:00 PM PST

    Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 108
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:42
4
36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:42) correct 39% (03:07) wrong based on 560 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8 p.m. a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to be off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A. 22(2/9)%
B. 16(2/3)%
C. 11(1/9)%
D. 10%
E. 5%

Originally posted by dancinggeometry on 16 Sep 2008, 06:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 28 Jul 2014, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8679
Location: Pune, India
Re: Need help overlapping set question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 21:17
6
2
valaparla wrote:
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8pm a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A) 22 2/9%
B) 16 2/3%
C) 11 1/9%
D) 10%
E) 5%


You can do it using algebra to get an equation with a single variable:

Say, total 100 lights. 80 are ON.

Say L are supposed to be on and 100-L are supposed to be off.

Lights that are on = 40% of (100 - L) + 90% of L = 80
L = 80 = Number of lights supposed to be on.
20 = Number of lights supposed to be off. 40% of these are on so should be switched off. 40% of 20 = 8

Of the lights that are on, 8/80 = 10% should be switched off.

Answer (D)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1825
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 00:01
12
2
Using Double matrix method:

Answer \(= \frac{8}{80} * 100 = 10%\)

Refer diagram below:
Attachments

mat.png
mat.png [ 5.64 KiB | Viewed 17266 times ]


_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

General Discussion
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2366
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 08:13
2
1
dancinggeometry wrote:
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8 p.m. a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to be off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

22(2/9)%
16(2/3)%
11(1/9)%
10%
5%


this kind of the wording is always confusing for me.

a= number of lights supposed to be on
b= number of lights supposed to be off
total = a+b
no of lights that are on = 0.8(a+yb

Light that are supposed to be on but are actually off = 10% of a
Light that are supposed to be on are on = 90% of a

Light that aare supposed to be but are on = 40% of b
Light that aare supposed to be off are off = 60% of b

0.9a + 0.4b = 0.8 (a+b)
a = 4b

Suppose total Lights = 100
so, a = 80 and b = 20

No of lights that are on are on but are supposed to be off = 40% of b = 0.4 (20) = 5

So, the % of lights that are on are supposed to be off = 5/100 = 5%.
//E//
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 134
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 12:35
1
Let x be the total no. of lights and y be the no. of lights off.
Therefore, (x-y) is the total no. of "on" lights.
Since 40% of lights that should be off are on, 60% of lights that are supposed to be off are actually off. However, 10% of lights that are supposed to be on are off.
Therefore, 60*y/100 + 10*(x-y)/100 = 20*x/100. Solving this gives us x= 5*y. Therefore the no. of lights on are (x-y) = 5y-y = 4y.
Therefore, % of "on" lights that should have been off = {(40y/100) /4y}*100 = 10%
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 1
Need help overlapping set question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2010, 09:55
2
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8pm a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A) 22 2/9%
B) 16 2/3%
C) 11 1/9%
D) 10%
E) 5%
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 244
Re: Need help overlapping set question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2010, 13:03
2
1
1
valaparla wrote:
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8pm a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A) 22 2/9%
B) 16 2/3%
C) 11 1/9%
D) 10%
E) 5%


Is the Answer D.

let me try..

Let the light which are supposed to be OFF = SO
Let the light which are supposed to be ON = SN
Let the light which are ACTUALLY OFF = AO
Let the light which are ACTUALLY ON = AN

Let the total no. of lights be 100,
So ACTUALLY ON lights = 80
And ACTUALLY OFF lights = 20

Also given >> forty percent of the lights that are supposed to off are actually on >>> (40/100)*SO are ACTUALLY ON
it means >>> (60/100)*SO are ACTUALLY OFF

Also given >> ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off >>> (10/100)*SN are ACTUALLY OFF
it means >>> (90/100)*SN are ACTUALLY ON

So, Total ACTUALLY ON lights = (40/100)*SO + (90/100)*SN = 80
and Total ACTUALLY OFF lights = (60/100)*SO + (10/100)*SN = 80

From here we get SO = 20

we need to find: What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off >>> So light ACTUALLY ON are 80 and light which are ACTUALLY ON, which are supposed to be OFF = (40/100)*SO = 8.

So (8/80)*100 = 10%

OA plz.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 26
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Need help overlapping set question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2010, 08:56
Let

off = # supposed to be off
on = # supposed to be on

Then from the information given we have:

.4*off + (1-.1)*on = .8*(off + on)

We are trying to find the number that should be off (but are on) as a portion of everything that is on, e.g.:

\(\frac{.4*off}{.8*(off+on)}\)

Solving the first equation for on, we get

on = 4*off

Substituting this into the second equation, we can eliminate the dependence on the variable off and we solve the fraction to be 1/10 (d).
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Affiliations: ACCA
Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 32
Schools: IMD, Insead, LBS, IE, Cambridge, Oxford
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help overlapping set question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2010, 15:39
1
1
something like in the file attached
answer D 10%
Attachments

GMAT.xlsx [9.18 KiB]
Downloaded 508 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 119
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 14:47
2
2
KASSALMD wrote:
Let x be the total no. of lights and y be the no. of lights off.
Therefore, (x-y) is the total no. of "on" lights.
Since 40% of lights that should be off are on, 60% of lights that are supposed to be off are actually off. However, 10% of lights that are supposed to be on are off.
Therefore, 60*y/100 + 10*(x-y)/100 = 20*x/100. Solving this gives us x= 5*y. Therefore the no. of lights on are (x-y) = 5y-y = 4y.
Therefore, % of "on" lights that should have been off = {(40y/100) /4y}*100 = 10%



Agree with you. My approach:

just pick a number (e. 100) for lights.
80 lights are supposed to be on, but 0.1 (that is 8 lights) are off.
20 lights are supposed to be off, but 0.4 (that is 8 lights) are on.

Totally, 80 - 8 + 8=80 lights are on
and the percentage of lights which are on (and not supposed to be on) is 10% (8 out of 80)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 4
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 15:44
All this is under the assumption that there are no lights which are neither supposed to be on or off.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Mission MBA
Joined: 02 Jul 2010
Posts: 27
Location: Hyderabad, India
Schools: ISB, IIMs
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 17:55
shahideh wrote:
KASSALMD wrote:
Let x be the total no. of lights and y be the no. of lights off.
Therefore, (x-y) is the total no. of "on" lights.
Since 40% of lights that should be off are on, 60% of lights that are supposed to be off are actually off. However, 10% of lights that are supposed to be on are off.
Therefore, 60*y/100 + 10*(x-y)/100 = 20*x/100. Solving this gives us x= 5*y. Therefore the no. of lights on are (x-y) = 5y-y = 4y.
Therefore, % of "on" lights that should have been off = {(40y/100) /4y}*100 = 10%



Agree with you. My approach:

just pick a number (e. 100) for lights.
80 lights are supposed to be on, but 0.1 (that is 8 lights) are off.
20 lights are supposed to be off, but 0.4 (that is 8 lights) are on.

Totally, 80 - 8 + 8=80 lights are on
and the percentage of lights which are on (and not supposed to be on) is 10% (8 out of 80)


I really didn't understand why did you pick the numbers 80 and 20?
_________________

If you find my posts useful, Appreciate me with the kudos!! +1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 119
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2011, 03:29
6
Quote:
I really didn't understand why did you pick the numbers 80 and 20?


when you encounter with a question related to "percentage", it's easier for you to just intellectually pick a number that covers the percentages of the question, and then solve the problem with that number. This approach makes the question tangible.

So, for this question, I pick the number 100 for lights. that is, i suppose the total lights are 100. According to the question, 80% of lights are on at a certain time. So:
80% * 100=80
That is in my approach, 80 lights are on, and 20 other lights, (100-80=20) are off.

In continue, the question says: forty percent of the lights that are supposed to be off are actually on
40% * 20 = 8
That is, 20 lights are supposed to be off, but 8 of them are on now.


again in continue, the question says: ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off
10% * 80 = 8
that is, 80 lights are supposed to be on, but 8 lights of them are off now.

so the total number of lights which are on is: 80 + 8 - 8 = 80

To calculate the percentage: (8/80)*100=10

let me know if my explanation is clear : )
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 01:27
1
shahideh wrote:
Quote:
I really didn't understand why did you pick the numbers 80 and 20?


when you encounter with a question related to "percentage", it's easier for you to just intellectually pick a number that covers the percentages of the question, and then solve the problem with that number. This approach makes the question tangible.

So, for this question, I pick the number 100 for lights. that is, i suppose the total lights are 100. According to the question, 80% of lights are on at a certain time. So:
80% * 100=80
That is in my approach, 80 lights are on, and 20 other lights, (100-80=20) are off.

In continue, the question says: forty percent of the lights that are supposed to be off are actually on
40% * 20 = 8
That is, 20 lights are supposed to be off, but 8 of them are on now.


again in continue, the question says: ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off
10% * 80 = 8
that is, 80 lights are supposed to be on, but 8 lights of them are off now.

so the total number of lights which are on is: 80 + 8 - 8 = 80

To calculate the percentage: (8/80)*100=10

let me know if my explanation is clear : )



So clear
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1825
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Need help overlapping set question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 20:15
6
2
Solved using Matrix method. Refer below:

Attachment:
over.png
over.png [ 4.01 KiB | Viewed 16011 times ]


1. Let the total number of lights = 100

2. 80% of the lights are ON = 80

3. So, lights which are OFF = 100-80 = 20

4. Actual OFF = Suppose OFF = 20

5. 40% of "Suppose OFF" are "Actual ON" \(= \frac{40}{100}* 20 = 8\)

6. Percentage of the lights that are on are supposed to be off \(= \frac{8}{80} * 100 = 10%\)

Answer = D

Bunuel: Kindly update the OA

Also, in the problem, they have used words like "Eighty percent" (instead of 80%) etc.... is this normal in GMAT?
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 27 Aug 2014
Posts: 140
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 12:18
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
valaparla wrote:
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8pm a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A) 22 2/9%
B) 16 2/3%
C) 11 1/9%
D) 10%
E) 5%


You can do it using algebra to get an equation with a single variable:

Say, total 100 lights. 80 are ON.

Say L are supposed to be on and 100-L are supposed to be off.

Lights that are on = 40% of (100 - L) + 90% of L = 80
L = 80 = Number of lights supposed to be on.
20 = Number of lights supposed to be off. 40% of these are on so should be switched off. 40% of 20 = 8

Of the lights that are on, 8/80 = 10% should be switched off.

Answer (D)


Hi Karishma,

I'm not sure if it is the terminology or something but I get confused with your explanation. This is because of the following:

you say 80 are ON. From the single variable equation, you get L = 80 = Number of lights supposed to be ON.

This means: The number of lights that are ON = Number of lights that are supposed to be ON.
If this is true then:
The number of lights that are OFF = Number of lights that are supposed to be OFF.

Is this possible from the given question? Please explain.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 83
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 15:27
PareshGmat wrote:
Solved using Matrix method. Refer below:

Attachment:
over.png


1. Let the total number of lights = 100

2. 80% of the lights are ON = 80

3. So, lights which are OFF = 100-80 = 20

4. Actual OFF = Suppose OFF = 20

5. 40% of "Suppose OFF" are "Actual ON" \(= \frac{40}{100}* 20 = 8\)

6. Percentage of the lights that are on are supposed to be off \(= \frac{8}{80} * 100 = 10%\)

Answer = D

Bunuel: Kindly update the OA

Also, in the problem, they have used words like "Eighty percent" (instead of 80%) etc.... is this normal in GMAT?



Hey I am having a hard time on how you got step 4, I cannot see the wording in the problem that leads us to believe that those are equal

Thanks :)

-- is this because 80% that are on means that actual = suppose to = 80%?
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2618
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 07:45
dancinggeometry wrote:
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8 p.m. a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to be off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A. 22(2/9)%
B. 16(2/3)%
C. 11(1/9)%
D. 10%
E. 5%


what a tricky wording...i did solve it with numbers as well...
suppose we have 100 lights.
80 should be on
20 should be off
from 20, 8 are on
from 80, 8 are not on
total on - 80.
8 that are one are supposed to be off. 8 from 80 is 10%
D is the answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 01:21
PareshGmat wrote:
Solved using Matrix method. Refer below:

Attachment:
over.png


1. Let the total number of lights = 100

2. 80% of the lights are ON = 80

3. So, lights which are OFF = 100-80 = 20

4. Actual OFF = Suppose OFF = 20

5. 40% of "Suppose OFF" are "Actual ON" \(= \frac{40}{100}* 20 = 8\)

6. Percentage of the lights that are on are supposed to be off \(= \frac{8}{80} * 100 = 10%\)

Answer = D

Bunuel: Kindly update the OA

Also, in the problem, they have used words like "Eighty percent" (instead of 80%) etc.... is this normal in GMAT?



Step 4 is not evident from question. Sure the values turn out to be same after solving an equation, but can we just draw step 4 as a conclusion?
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 02:25
dancinggeometry wrote:
Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8 p.m. a certain evening. However, forty percent of the lights that are supposed to be off are actually on and ten percent of the lights that are supposed to be on are actually off. What percent of the lights that are on are supposed to be off?

A. 22(2/9)%
B. 16(2/3)%
C. 11(1/9)%
D. 10%
E. 5%


This question is possibly just meant to disorient the test taker- anyways,

200 lights

200(.8) =160 normally on
200(.2) = 40 normally off

40(.6) = 24 actually off and 16 actually on
160(.9) = 144 actually on and 16 actually off

16/144 +16 = 10 % that should actually be off

Thus
"D"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8 &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jun 2017, 02:25

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Eighty percent of the lights at Hotel California are on at 8

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.