Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Error Patterns and Retake Strategy Help! [#permalink]
Thanks for quick reply guys.

rich,

1. My first attempt was in May'14, 2nd in October and 3rd early Jan'15. (I don't remember my exact split but my score went from approx V25 Q35 to V28 Q44 in my third attempt.
2. I spent about 4 months studying on my own from the MGMAT Strat Guides before my 1st attempt. I took the MGMAT complete course before my second attempt. But I was under immense pressure at work for over a month before I gave my second attempt which partly explains my tip in score. After that I took two months off work and took the e-gmat verbal course and prepared on my own for quant before giving it again in Jan.

To be honest I'm not sure taking more classes will help me. But let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
For practice purposes, we recommend the Practice Pill Platform www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/ You can upgrade for video explanations that show you how to think on the test.

And yes, review your mistakes from prior study sessions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi rich

So I signed up for the Empower Score booster. I have just about completed stage 1 for quant. Was wondering if you had an tips on how I can maximise my usage of the Empower Score Booster course. This is probably the last time I'll give the GMAT so hoping that Empower Gmat works its magic for me!

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mars27,

When learning new tactics, you really have to put your efforts into practicing those tactics. With a Q44, you're probably really good at using "math approaches" to solving questions, but right now you really need more of a tactical series of approaches. So when you see a practice question, you should be practicing tactics (and NOT just answering the question as you normally would). You'll be amazed how easily you can pick up points on this Test, but you have to be comfortable enough to change how you "see", and respond to, to GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Noted!

Thanks rich

Incidentally that was the first thing i realised i wasn't doing right when i started the EmpowerGMAT course. Will keep that in mind and write to you if i have any more queries.

Thanks again.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello mars27,

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your studies well-rounded. It's good to keep the error logs and to keep track of weakness. But you should also leave enough time to practice other areas. This will prevent you from improving in one area and declining in another (due to neglect). Secondly, schedule in enough time for full length practice. At this point you are perhaps familiar enough with the content and the question types. Now you can focus on building and sustaining endurance (lower verbal scores are also normal due to fatigue). Finally, minimize your stress. Stress can play a big role in your performance as well. Hopefully you'll have practiced enough under testing conditions that by the time test day comes around you're more than used to it.

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot