Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6863 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: ESR Analysis PLEASE -need guidance on way forward [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi thelastskybender.

It sounds as if you have mostly practiced for Verbal and not thoroughly studied concepts and strategies. So, maybe you need to work on your Verbal fundamentals to achieve your goal.

For some key tips on how to increase your Verbal score, see this video.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi thelastskybender,

To start, a 640/Q49 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for - and before we discuss the data in your ESR - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you used any other study materials besides the ones that you listed?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64980 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
thelastskybender wrote:
Dear all,
I took my first GMAT on July 26,2023 and ended up with a disappointing score of 640(V28/Q49).
My performance in various mock tests(in chronological order):
GMAT official mock 1 : 650 (Q43, V30) [20/05/23]
GMAT official mock 2: 680 (Q50, V31) [03/06/23]
GMAT official mock 3: 670 (Q49, V32) [12/07/23]
GMAT official mock 1 Reattempt: 710(Q50, V31) [15/07/23]
GMAT official mock 2 Reattempt: 760(Q50, V31) [17/07/23]
MGMT Mock 1 : 640 (Q43, V34) [20/07/2023]
GMAT official mock 4: 640 (Q50,V27) [22/07/23]
GMAT Exam: 640 (Q49, V28) [26/07/23]

I ordered ESR. I found that I have scored at 30th percentile in Critical Reasoning, way below the mean score(I used to get 70 percentile in mocks). I am sure I can do bad in CR but this was my worst!
I have been preparing for GMAT for last 4 months from April till July. I prepared for 1-2 hours daily on weekdays and 4-5 hours on saturday and sunday.

Materials used:
OG, OG Verbal Review and gmatclub.

My target is 730. I have attached my ESR. Experts please kindly help me with your inputs on how I should improve my score and what materials I should use. I am planning to retake GMAT in two and half months.

Bunuel
nightblade354
GMATNinja
KarishmaB
ScottTargetTestPrep
bb
EMPOWERgmatRichC
MartyTargetTestPrep
GmatTutorKnight
AndrewN

One thing that stands out - you spent too much time on one very hard question in the second quarter and got it wrong. What that does is throw you off your game in the entire rest of the section. You had no time left in the fourth quarter and likely guessed on most questions. You perhaps spent your time on the easy ones and that was a good call.
If you are struggling with a question that seems hard to you, guess and move on within your budgeted time, especially in verbal. Spending too much time on it will not work in either case - whether you get it right or wrong.
If you get it right, the algo throws an even harder question at you and you struggle even more and spend even more time on it. This means you are not left with any time for the later part of the section and you will miss easy questions which will give you heavy penalties and your score will drop below your achievable score.
If you get it wrong, you wasted time and still got the same penalty that you would have had you moved on quickly.
Work on your verbal from a test prep course to understand the nuances of various question types.

You did have a similar time management problem in Quant too.
Focus a bit on sets, stats and sequences. Incorrect questions were mostly of highest difficulty (which is great and hence the good score) but you did spend too much time on them. Hence, you dropped some easy questions in fourth quarter and that likely impacted your score a bit. Perhaps you would have seen a Q50-51 had that not been the case.
You can review sets, stats and sequences.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi thelastskybender,

Since it's clear that CR could use a boost, here is a great article you can check out:

GMAT Critical Reasoning: 8 Essential Tips
GMAT Club Bot