GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 08:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

ESR Review request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
ESR Review request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 02:39
Hi,

Would you please evaluate my ESR? what areas should I focus on (I have one month to study)?
My score on the verbal section has been quite consistent but bad and I feel I am stuck at 32/36 levels.
My next attempt is in Mid December.

Thank youuu
Attachments

8.png
8.png [ 17.88 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]

7.png
7.png [ 62.75 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

6.png
6.png [ 98.78 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

5.png
5.png [ 58.99 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

4.png
4.png [ 75.22 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

3.png
3.png [ 124.87 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

2.png
2.png [ 119.33 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

1.png
1.png [ 127.42 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: ESR Review request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 12:17
Hi Rosebm,

To perform that analysis, I'd like to see the Full ESR in it's original format (and not in the 8 attached images that you provided here). If you PM or email your ESR to me, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Beyond that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Is this the only time you've taken the GMAT? If you've taken it more than once, then how did you Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 08:31
Top Contributor
A couple quick things stand out to me:

1) On the quant side, really hammer the concepts related to factors, multiples, and divisibility. Not only was that the one category that the ESR suggests was lagging behind the others, but it's also the type of thinking that makes quick mental math possible and could save you from what looked like some rushing/pacing issues toward the second half of that section.

Practicing those types of problems will help, plus just training yourself to think that way (for the next week, any time you see a two-digit number try to break it down into its prime factors in your head, for example. See a "Speed Limit 65" sign? That's 13*5. Dialing a phone number that ends in 32? That's 2^5.)

2) On the verbal side, obviously it looks like Critical Reasoning is holding you back the most. One thing that's a little tricky is that the ESR's sub-section breakdowns are a little vague, but since everyone struggles a bit with this please heed this advice for "Construction/Plan" - when they ask you to weaken a plan, the existence of a better plan does not weaken the current plan! For example, if I were to say "I want a delicious, inexpensive lunch so I'm going to Subway" telling me that Jersey Mike's subs taste better doesn't weaken it, nor does telling me that while Subway markets itself as a healthy option it's not really that healthy (remember, my goal is to get a delicious, inexpensive lunch...all other factors are out of scope!). People really struggle with that so I'd imagine you're similar...in Weaken the Plan/Strategy questions your only goal is to show that that plan won't reach its objective.

In a larger context with both SC and CR my hypothesis is that you can stand to get more proactive on those. Way too often people do a lot of "reading and reacting" as opposed to really attacking those problems. See if these recent YouTube session videos I did can help steer you in a better direction on those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P8SQQ0gA8Y&t=1393s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8MAeW-vZ80&t=41s

That's a start at attacking some low-hanging fruit at least. Congrats on getting to a phenomenal starting point - with some very tangible areas for improvement - on your quest for 700+!

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 10:31
Hi Rosebm,

Your quant score is pretty high because you did very well in the first section. Check out this thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-format-g ... 69682.html

If you want to learn more about ESR, follow this link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/information- ... 1-120.html

Once you understand which sections you have to improve, you can search for the strategies to improve eaach subsection. For example, this one:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/road-to-v42- ... 12772.html

What study materials did you use in your prep?

Non progredi est regredi

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 11:03
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
A couple quick things stand out to me:

1) On the quant side, really hammer the concepts related to factors, multiples, and divisibility. Not only was that the one category that the ESR suggests was lagging behind the others, but it's also the type of thinking that makes quick mental math possible and could save you from what looked like some rushing/pacing issues toward the second half of that section.

Practicing those types of problems will help, plus just training yourself to think that way (for the next week, any time you see a two-digit number try to break it down into its prime factors in your head, for example. See a "Speed Limit 65" sign? That's 13*5. Dialing a phone number that ends in 32? That's 2^5.)

2) On the verbal side, obviously it looks like Critical Reasoning is holding you back the most. One thing that's a little tricky is that the ESR's sub-section breakdowns are a little vague, but since everyone struggles a bit with this please heed this advice for "Construction/Plan" - when they ask you to weaken a plan, the existence of a better plan does not weaken the current plan! For example, if I were to say "I want a delicious, inexpensive lunch so I'm going to Subway" telling me that Jersey Mike's subs taste better doesn't weaken it, nor does telling me that while Subway markets itself as a healthy option it's not really that healthy (remember, my goal is to get a delicious, inexpensive lunch...all other factors are out of scope!). People really struggle with that so I'd imagine you're similar...in Weaken the Plan/Strategy questions your only goal is to show that that plan won't reach its objective.

In a larger context with both SC and CR my hypothesis is that you can stand to get more proactive on those. Way too often people do a lot of "reading and reacting" as opposed to really attacking those problems. See if these recent YouTube session videos I did can help steer you in a better direction on those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P8SQQ0gA8Y&t=1393s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8MAeW-vZ80&t=41s

That's a start at attacking some low-hanging fruit at least. Congrats on getting to a phenomenal starting point - with some very tangible areas for improvement - on your quest for 700+!

Thank youu Brian :grin:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 11:15
Akela wrote:
Hi Rosebm,

Your quant score is pretty high because you did very well in the first section. Check out this thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-format-g ... 69682.html

If you want to learn more about ESR, follow this link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/information- ... 1-120.html

Once you understand which sections you have to improve, you can search for the strategies to improve eaach subsection. For example, this one:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/road-to-v42- ... 12772.html

What study materials did you use in your prep?

Thank you Akela :grin:
I used Official Guide
Gmatclub questions
Manhattan advanced Quant book
CR Powerscore bible
Manhattan SC book
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 18:10
Hi Rosebm,

Although I don’t have much information regarding how you studied for your GMAT, I’m happy to provide some general advice based on the information in your ESR.

Since verbal is your weakest topic, let’s start with that. Of the three verbal topics, you are weakest in Critical Reasoning, right? Since you scored in the 43rd percentile in CR, it’s clear that your CR score is putting a damper on your overall verbal score. It’s also clear that you lack some foundational skills necessary for a high CR score. Thus, you may need to spend some time relearning the foundational principles of each Critical Reasoning topic. For instance, do you know the importance of an assumption within an argument? Can you easily spot a conclusion? Do you know how to resolve a paradox? Do you know how to properly evaluate cause and effect? Do you know how to properly weaken or strengthen an argument? These are just a few examples; you really need to take a deep dive into the individual Critical Reasoning topics such that you develop the necessary skills to properly attack any Critical Reasoning questions that you encounter.

As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you incorrectly answered a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

Another major mistake that people make when training for CR is that they do practice questions too fast. To get Critical Reasoning questions correct, you have to see exactly what is going on in the passages and answer choices, and you likely won't learn to do so by spending a few minutes per question. At this stage of your training, you may need to spend even fifteen minutes per question, learning to see what there is to see. Here is a way to look at this process:

If you get a new job in a field in which you are not experienced, you may not be as fast as the other people working with you, but you know you have a job to do. So, what do you do? You do the job correctly, if not as quickly as those around you, and you make sure that you learn all the angles so that you do the job well. Rushing through the job and doing it incorrectly would not make sense. As you gain more experience, you learn to do the same job more quickly.

Think of Critical Reasoning questions similarly. Is your job to get through questions quickly? Not really. Your job is to get correct answers. So, first you have to learn to get correct answers, at least 10 to 15 in a row consistently, and more in a row would be better. If doing so takes fifteen minutes, then so be it. That is what it takes for you to do your job. Only after you have learned to get correct answers consistently should you work on speeding up. Working quickly but not doing your job is useless. Better to work slowly and learn to do your job well. You can be sure that with experience you will learn to speed up, and then you will still be doing your job well, i.e., getting correct answers consistently.

Finally, a vital aspect of getting correct answers to Critical Reasoning questions is noticing the key differences between trap choices and correct answers. Trap choices may sound temptingly correct, but the logic of what a trap choice says simply doesn't fit what the question is asking you to find. So, to get correct answers, learn to see the key differences between trap choices and correct answers.

For quant, although a Q47 is a pretty great quant score, you could spend some time improving your skills in that topic to try to increase your quant score to a 49+. Based on your ESR, Number Properties appears to be a clear weakness. With some focused Number Properties practice, you should be able to find and fix weaknesses in that topic. Start by practicing 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; you can follow this method for other quant topics.

I realize that you have only one month until your next exam, so please reach out to me directly if you have any further questions.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ESR Review request &nbs [#permalink] 24 Oct 2018, 18:10

ESR Review request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap