It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay Intro/Conclusion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

Schools: Duke 2012
Essay Intro/Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 18:55
So as I start to write a couple of drafts, I feel myself sucked back into 5th grade and find myself strictly adhering to the intro/body/conclusion method, which is taking up some space.

Did anyone find that they weren't always necessary? Did anyone skip them? I feel like maybe I could end in such a way that I could skip one or the other, but years of english class makes me nervous about doing so :-D .

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Essay Intro/Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 19:08
My first drafts of nearly ALL my essays had no introduction - I'm lousy at writing those, and found I'd get stuck and couldn't move past the first few lines to write. So I had the opposite problem :)

Most of my essays ended up having no introduction or conclusion. Instead, I made the first/last sentence of each essay introductory or conclusion-esque. It saved space and prevented me from rambling on!

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 03:27
I'm the same as isa. Most of the time the word count is so restrictive that you can't afford to waste a whole paragraph on intro and conclusion.

What I did was a one sentence "intro" then went right into my career progression and finished off with "why school X" and a one sentence conclusion.

RF

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 17

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 03:31
Same here. I still had a concluding sentence so it didn't seem like I had just reached the word limit and stopped writing, but generally just jumped right into the content at the beginning. For example, the "intro" to my career goals essay was my long-term career goals.

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 17

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 07:11
Well, "intro/body/conclusion" is in b-school essay replaced by "set-up a stage/describe the situation/tell us what have you learned" concept. It depends on the situation, so one of these areas could be shorter or, on the other hand, given high priority, but I can't imagine the essay without one of these.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 08:17
highhopes wrote:
So as I start to write a couple of drafts, I feel myself sucked back into 5th grade and find myself strictly adhering to the intro/body/conclusion method, which is taking up some space.

Did anyone find that they weren't always necessary? Did anyone skip them? I feel like maybe I could end in such a way that I could skip one or the other, but years of english class makes me nervous about doing so :-D .

No intro persay. I just tried to use something that would draw them in. but it wasn't a "Tell them what you are gonna say, say it, summerize what you said" type thing. you don't reallly have much room.

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Schools: HBS class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 18:53
Not only did I use 2-3 sentences of intro in all of my essays, but also I tried to make these sentences catchy/interesting/funny/etc - i.e. stand out. I read somewhere that in the US students write essays in a very schematic way so I thought that a catchy opening will be an easy way to differentiate myself.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Re: Essay Intro/Conclusion   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2009, 18:53