Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Ruhi.....

Just wanted to thank you for all your inputs......

I see this GMAT game as follows......There are some people who kill the beast in thier first encounter...they go to the test center with all guns blazing and with some fair amount of good luck ...and they assassinate the beast.....and then there are some others who dont succeed in killing the beast.......such people get bruised and they go home and some of these unsuccessful fighters just give up........ but some others take up this battle as a challenge.....these people train hard and train smart for the battle again....and the lucky few from this set tame the beast the second time.......and again there are a few who do not succeed......they may succeed in the third battle .......or may be the fourth battle.... But the bottomline is.......as long as the fighting spirit is alive and the self belief is there......the fighter always has better odds of beating the beast........

I am an engineer by background and never thought I would end up writing something like this ! :oops:

Anyways.....Ruhi.....Best of luck for your future endeavors......
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Ruhi,

Sorry to hear you had a stressful experience in the verbal section of the GMAT.
You're only 20 and still going through your finals... Given the circumstances, 620 is quite an achievement especially when considering
you're doing law and achieved a damn fine 47 in the quantitative section...

Many thx for the high quality of your posts... I am confident you'll murder the GMAT on your next attempt...

sincerely
O
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
To score 620 with a month of preparation, and that too at such a young age, is a commendable feat.Some very smart people I know , and who were much older than you, scored this much after more than month of preparation.
Going through your post, I get a feeling you have sound background in both quant and verbal. You already got a very good quant score. Verbal, as I always maintain, needs more application and hard work to be tamed. I guess your foundation was good in verbal too but probably you didnt practice enough to understand all the traps and build your focus and concenteration level.
Iam sure that with better application of your skill set and by working much harder, will certainly help you realize your full potential in terms of better GMAT score next time. But remember that this time dont play with the exam or treat it as just another dress rehearsel. Give your best shot and take as much time as you need to do that. Dont rely on any more attempts after that.
Also, Iam not sure why you need to take GMAT now if you are planning to attend a top US bschool. It will be virtually impossible to get in without a significant work experience of atleast 2-3 years. But if you want to take it now and then apply after 3-4 years , then it's fine.
Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
A big thanks to everyone!

I think I will definitely take a re-take next year. My score keeps on replaying in my mind and I know that if i dont take a re-take, I wont be happy :( I cant live with this feeling that I havent been able to conquer the BEAST. Im not happy with my verbal score and my quantitative can be improved too.

I have my TOEFL in three days. I'll get back to GMAT after a few days. I need to refresh myself!!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Ruhi

The most important thing is to learn from the experience. of course , lets not kid ourselves, it hurts not to have the score you want. But the good thing is you get it to take it again :)

First , its great that you are starting so early. you have all the time in the world to plan your MBA. Building on your work experience will be a great complement to your applications. Also involve yourself in your community which also will help to a great extent.

As to your gmat, everyone here has been very nice to offer you support.

Your first step before you retake your GMAT is to find out what you did right and what you didnt.

I dont know what your verbal score is, i assume its in the low 30's.
This suggests that one or more of the following things might have happened/

1. You got easy questions wrong. Remember getting hard questions wrong does not affect your score as much as getting easy questions wrong. Getting easy questions wrong meant that you were presented with easier questions and getting those right dont count too much towards your score.

AND/ OR

2. You got consecutive questions wrong.

this is a strong possibility. getting consecutive questions wrong hurts your score a lot.

now, the above 2 points are not rocket science , but are very very important.

Plan your prep in phases

Your phase one should be - Minimizing your errors and learning from them. Never make a mistake twice. "NEVER" sounds very strong, but its an ideal that you should try to achieve. Do you what you need to do to achive this goal. this is probably the most toughest part. you have to be proactive and use the info in your error log to improve day by day.

Your phase 2 should be - Building on concepts. Sure ,you must have already learnt a lot about different concepts, but this is the phase that you want to be really really sure about concepts like probability , counting methods etc.

Your phase 3 should be - Test prep strategy. read the following before you take any practise test.

a. Read the problem very carefully. Concentrate harder
on the easy problems.
b. Dont be a hero. Harder problems cost you less and
easy problems cost you more. Dont make the mistake of
spending TOO MUCH time on the first 15. if you cant
solve a problem, get as close as possible to the
answer and pick the best answer choice.
c. Do not judge your performance. Stay neutral as much
as possible. One question at a time.
d. Dont panic even if you see the most wierdest
problem ever. If you cant solve it, the chances are
that only few people will.

After your practise test, read the above four points again. ask yourself whether you followed all of the above points? if no, work on it. if yes, great , but keep working at it.

Remember, you have to get to the HARD problems to get a good score. Phase 1 will get you there. Phase 2 will help you - to a certain extent- in dealing with those crazy questions. Phase 3 will help you deal with test prep strategy.

Finally, no matter how hard you have prepped, remember that the test is blind to your preparation. Prepping ,strategizing and everything is ok. Execution is critical. One question at a time. Dont think of 700 or 750, think one question at a time.

Hope this helps
Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Praet,

Im sorry I didnt mention my verbal score. Its a paltry 29 :(

thanks so much for your detailed reply. :thanks I think its very important to learn from my mistakes and I know where I went wrong. Like I said, I got totally zonked out after the 33rd question when I saw that LONG RC. IT KILLED ME COMPLETELY!! Before this, Im sure I didnt miss more than 2 questions. I found all the SCs, CRs and the other 3 RCs to be very interesting and easy actually. But I panicked around the 33rd question when I saw that HUGE RC. I realised that I had only 15 mins to complete the remaining 8 questions. I could literally hear my heart beats ( something that has never happened to me before!! :x )

You are totally correct when u say that either I got the easy ones wrong or I got quite a number of questions wrong at one go. The latter was the case with me. I am in the process of realising that the only way to improve is to conquer your disabilities. I think I didnt do this during my month-long preparation.

Gmatclub has been a continuous source of knowledge and guidance for everyone :-D And Im very thankful to everyone who volunteered to help me in some way or the other. I'll see to it that I get a better score next year!! :computer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ruhi,

620 in first attempt after a month of preparation is very good score .....
Q47 and V29 is wonderful....

You have to concentrate on Verbal....

I got 600 (Q44 V28)..... My biggest challenge was time management..I left about 10 questions in Verbal......

We need to manage time better...We should be able to do SC and CR in as less time as possible so that we have time for RC. RC is always gonna be long ...and would take time...so we have to save time for RC.

Good Luck !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Ruhi,

Congrats on your score. You have done well and am sure you'll cross the 700 barrier soon.

Take a break and bounce back. We all certainly get inspired when we see the energy that you put when u answer those questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey ruhi,

congrats on your good score and thanx for sharing your xperience, your score is great for just 1 month of prep. i know guys who spent 3 months and got a lower score. keep up you head up and work on those long RC's. good luck with your other exams [the TOEFL is a breeze compared to the GMAT, it's ridiculous ;]] :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
NEWkid,

Thanks a ton for your kind words :-D .. Energy radiates from one person and goes into another.. If you know what I mean.... :)

kayser`soze

Thanks kayser!! You were right.. TOEFL is a big big joke..... :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts