Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
WE:Account Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Flawed Practice Test? GMATprep [#permalink]
Hi, for some reason my additional information didn't come through... I did purchase the extra tests and question bank. The repeat questions were on a test from GMATprep I paid for.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
skytory9 wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this... on the GMATprep practice tests, I've noticed that in the actual test, there are repeated verbal questions. I've scored significantly better on Kaplan and Manhattan prep tests than the GMATprep tests, so I was wondering if GMATprep is flawed? Should I stick to other practice tests or continue with GMATprep? I've heard that the GMATprep is the best indication of your score on test day, so I'm a bit conflicted on how to proceed. I'm taking a test a practice test once each week to practice keeping my stamina up, so I'm not sure which test I should keep taking.

Thanks in advance.
Tory

GMAT prep is always most accurate, esp in Verbal that has a certain pattern/fingerprint in terms of logic/assumptions/scope
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tory,

Normally students score within about a +/-30 point range of their test scores' average. One test score does not say exactly where you are at; take a few of them, average them out, and that is a fairly good indicator of your level.

Also so you know, a score can dip from one exam to another even with the same amount of knowledge or the same percentage of correct/incorrect. The GMAT scoring algorithm takes many factors into account, including where you make errors, how many mistakes you commit in a row, whether you finish both sections or leave questions out, whether the last few questions of either section seemed like they were guessed at, etc. I will refer you to the following articles on scoring:

https://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-taking-skills/...

Was there anything you could put your finger on that affected you the most during the exam? How did you feel during your exam? Was there a particular question type or section that gave you a lot more trouble time-wise or level-wise? What exactly do you feel was different on the real test? Can you be more specific?

Try to get as much official practice material as you can such as the Official Verbal and Official Quant Review, or the question pack 1, previous editions of the Official Guide for GMAT Review (12th and 13th editions are best), all from mba.com.

You may use whatever resources you want, but make sure to stick to your guns. Utilize the techniques learned; do not stray form these. Sometimes it is simply a matter of needing a bit more practice, of carefulness, and of a mix of a good test day and fortune as to what questions you will get in the exam and where you get them right.

Sincerely,
​Evan
GMAT Club Bot