It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2009, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:25) correct 56% (02:12) wrong based on 633 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers is a costly mistake, because all its labor disputes must then be settled by binding arbitration, without any negotiated public-sector labor settlements guiding the arbitrators. Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike.
(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available.
(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers.
(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector.
(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator.

Kindly provide explanation for your answers..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Re: Public-sector Labor Settlements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2009, 10:28
IMO B
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2009, 11:58
IMO C -

It is hard to distinguish between Facts and Claims here.

"No permission strike leads to arbitration" is a fact.
"Arbitration is a costly process" sounds more like a claim to me but I am going to assume it is also a fact.

(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike. - Not inferrable as only public sector workers not allowed to strike are discussed

(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available. - The argument is that only workers with non acceptable substitutes should not be allowed to strike. The author is making the divsion that their are two groups here so we cannot assume all categories.

(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers. - this is true as the author is suggesting the government avoid arbitration as it is a costly mistake.

(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector. - Out of scope. No discussion of private sector.

(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator. - on the contrary striking workers do not need an arbitrator. It is non striking that need one.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2009, 13:11
B seems to be correct. According to the stimulus, essential services should be banned from strikes since they have no substitutes. So, if all services are banned from striking, they must not have substitutes.
C is not true. Arbitration being costly for Govt. doesn't mean that it is advantageous to workers.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2009, 19:10
This post received
KUDOS
Qu: which conclusion is best supported?

(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike. - Stimulus states that public-service workers cant strike so irrelevant. [OUT]

(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available. - Restates the last sentence of the stimulus, covering a part of the stimulus. [OUT]

(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers. - Can be concluded: since public-service workers are not permitted to strike, arbitration is the only means to resolve disputes for them. And, in this case, negotiated public-sector labor settlements will guide the arbitrators.

(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector. -Irrelevant [OUT]

(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator. - Since public-service workers are not permitted to strike, arbitration can help to settle. [OUT]
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2009, 04:32
Thanks all for participation!! OA is 'B'

According to me the only way to reason out the answer is through POE, otherwise I am unable to reason it out.. The logic is still not clear..
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 21:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers is a costly mistake, because all its labor disputes must then be settled by binding arbitration, without any negotiated public-sector labor settlements guiding the arbitrators. Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists.

(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike.
(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available.
(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers.
(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector.
(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: government outlaws strikes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 22:42
Conditional Conclusion is OutlawStrike --> NoSubAvail

(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike. no evidence of this in the statements above
(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available. mistaken reversal
(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector.no evidence of this in the statements
(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator. again there is nothing in the statements above that suggests this to be true
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2011, 00:31
I think even C is not the answer. We cannot conclude "more advantageous".

E - we cannot conclude "unlikely".

I overshot the 2 mins lap - oscillating between the two and found question is not worth the effort.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2011, 07:05
gmat1220 wrote:
I think even C is not the answer. We cannot conclude "more advantageous".

E - we cannot conclude "unlikely".

I overshot the 2 mins lap - oscillating between the two and found question is not worth the effort.

C and E could be the answers for me. i chose E but dont know why C is the answer...
E says " A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator". This means that a strike by workers in a local government is likely to be settled with help from an arbitrator/
you know negative + negative = positive... so E could be posible... because its what the text used to prove its conclusion.
the problem is why C is better than E?
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 01:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 21:39
Premise 1- If gov outlaw all strikes labor disputes can be settled by binding arbitration(only choice) without any negotiated public-sector labor settlements guiding the arbitrators

Premise 2-Strikes should be settled in public sector because if they strike their services cannot be substituted by any other.

As per premise 1 all workers(including public sector) should be allowed to strike in-order to solve their problem(else it is a costly mistake).So the public sector should have some other way to solve their problem. This logical gap is closed by C,which says arbitration is the best choice for them.

Intern
Intern
Work: Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 02:08
This is a really good question! Two reasons:
a) Subtle wording in the question stem -- "must then be settled"
b) The answer choices can misguide you when you're in a hurry

--> INCORRECT. This is a general statement about all public-service workers. We are not told what happens when all public-service workers strike, we are only told about what happens when all strikes are outlawed, in which case the course of action is arbitration ("because all its labor disputes must then be settled by binding arbitration").

(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available. --> INCORRECT. This answer has verbs in the present tense. The passage only suggests what should be done, not what is currently happening ("Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists")

(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers. --> Note the artful use of language in this answer choice. Understandably, in cases where there are no substitutes/alternative ways to resolve the dispute, binding arbitration is the most advantageous way and therefore, the more advantageous route. CORRECT.

(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector. --> INCORRECT. We have no information about the private sector. The information in the argument only deals with the public sector.

(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator. --> INCORRECT. We do not have information about the likelihood of using help from an arbitrator for settling a strike.

--------------------------------

KUDOS if you like this post!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 23:57
+1 for C. We have to find a conclusion..or in other words a must be true answer. B is something that is both irrelevant and is something that can SUPPORT the conclusion..not a conclusion in itself as it is out of scope. Whats the source?

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 07:52
abhi758 wrote:

Kindly provide explanation for your answers..

In case any body comes across this thread. Please note OA is C NOT B

https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-a-local- ... fl=similar

- Stne

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 06:39
fanatico wrote:

Okay. First, the language of the question is really hard. I don't know whether everybody knows binding arbitration and what not. I think that GMAT assumes no outside knowledge for questions. I would like experts to comment on this. IanStewart mikemcgarry please see this.

second, I think that people are rejecting option B for all the wrong reasons. I'm not saying that its not wrong, it is, but the reason for rejecting this lies in subtlety of the words in it. My answer is B. I chose it after doing elimination. My last contenders were B and C.

Let me rewrite the stimulus and option B with highlighted words that make all the difference.

Stimulus

Option B

This option makes a mistake in categorization. The stimulus states..

Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists.. Its talking about the categories of workers whose services are irreplaceable.

The options states..

The options talks about "every worker" not "category of those workers". This would mean the following situation..

Let's say that there is a dept. of landmarks construction, and it has 100 employed workers. Now, if the service of any of these 100 workers is irreplaceable, then the govt. cannot outlaw strikes by the whole dept.
This clearly is not what the stimulus means.

This question took a lot of time. Experts, is this a GMAT like question?

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'm not sure where it's from (it's from one of those old 1000 series documents with questions from various sources), but it might be an LSAT question.

You don't need to know exactly what "binding arbitration" means here. You just need to know: they can settle things by one method (strikes and negotiations) or by another method (arbitration). It's not important what those methods actually are.

The argument's conclusion is: governments should only ban strikes for essential workers. We know, from this, nothing factual about what governments actually do in practice. So an answer like B could never be right, because it talks about the situations, in practice, in which governments actually do ban strikes.

There's one crucial word in the stem that is the key to the problem: "to outlaw all strikes ... is a costly mistake". The question is subtle because it really comes down to that one word. The argument goes on to say: if strikes are outlawed, disputes are settled in arbitration. If that is "costly", then it must be true that the government loses money when disputes are settled in arbitration. That's why C is right.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 08:15
IanStewart

Thankyou for your prompt reply. Can something this complex be expected on the GMAT? this question is really scary. And please also comment on my reasoning provided in my post above.
Many Thanks for your help :)

Posted from my mobile device

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 06:53
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 13:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yes it is really scary. But what a question! Took me 5 minutes :(
Got stuck between B and C as they said different things, but in really complex ways:

(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available. - This can be inferred, because outlawing strikes would be helpful only IF workers cannot be substituted - basically the workers would be committing a crime by striking. However this is not the conclusion. The conclusion is on arbitration
(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers.Yes since stopping it by govt is a 'costly mistake' - if you stop this you cannot arbitrate 'bindingly', and hence not reap the advantages
Re: For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 13:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap