GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 53065
Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 23:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:07) correct 35% (02:22) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5:10, respectively. If the total value of these coins is $15.50, how many dimes are in Fred’s jar?

A. 17
B. 25
C. 50
D. 85
E. 155

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 1923
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 00:23
Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5:10, respectively. If the total value of these coins is $15.50, how many dimes are in Fred’s jar?

A. 17
B. 25
C. 50
D. 85
E. 155

total 17x=15.5
x=0.911 ~1
1$ = 10 dimes
5*10= 50 dimes option C
_________________

If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 19
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 00:37
1
Archit3110 wrote:
Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5:10, respectively. If the total value of these coins is $15.50, how many dimes are in Fred’s jar?

A. 17
B. 25
C. 50
D. 85
E. 155

total 17x=15.5
x=0.911 ~1
1$ = 10 dimes
5*10= 50 dimes option C



Friend according to me answer should be B
As nickels is equal to 5cents
dimes is equal to 10 cents
and quartlet is equal to 25 cents

let us assume there are 2x,5x and 10x coins of nickels, dimes and quartets respectively
so total value is 10x, 50x and 250x = 310X cents
then x=1550/310= 5
No of dimes will be equal to 25
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 70
Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Nov 2018, 17:30
Bunuel
Value of nickel, dimes & quarter must be provided for the question.

Originally posted by AKY13 on 23 Nov 2018, 16:50.
Last edited by AKY13 on 24 Nov 2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 595
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 09:31
AKY13 I agree. Nickel is not a standard unit. It is used colloquially. I do not think GMAC expects the world to know what "nickel" and "dime" are !
I had to Google to know what worth is a dime mikemcgarry will GMAC expect us to know the value of nickel and dime? I know even if it doesn't we should have that kinda knowledge. I just wish to know that does GMAC take into account the global knowledge or is it concerned only about US standards?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 70
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 17:28
AdityaHongunti wrote:
AKY13 I agree. Nickel is not a standard unit. It is used colloquially. I do not think GMAC expects the world to know what "nickel" and "dime" are !
I had to Google to know what worth is a dime mikemcgarry will GMAC expect us to know the value of nickel and dime? I know even if it doesn't we should have that kinda knowledge. I just wish to know that does GMAC take into account the global knowledge or is it concerned only about US standards?

Posted from my mobile device


Don't stress about it, Aditya. Terms "Nickel, dimes & quarter" are not used in US but are in Canada.
I have no doubts that it must be provided. These kind of things are not part of worldly knowledge we are expected to have. Without this conversion provided, the question is not complete.
One must have the knowledge of basic conversions such as Dollar to cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 292
CAT Tests
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 18:32
AKY13 wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
AKY13 I agree. Nickel is not a standard unit. It is used colloquially. I do not think GMAC expects the world to know what "nickel" and "dime" are !
I had to Google to know what worth is a dime mikemcgarry will GMAC expect us to know the value of nickel and dime? I know even if it doesn't we should have that kinda knowledge. I just wish to know that does GMAC take into account the global knowledge or is it concerned only about US standards?

Posted from my mobile device


Don't stress about it, Aditya. Terms "Nickel, dimes & quarter" are not used in US but are in Canada.
I have no doubts that it must be provided. These kind of things are not part of worldly knowledge we are expected to have. Without this conversion provided, the question is not complete.
One must have the knowledge of basic conversions such as Dollar to cents.


Hi AKY13,

I would like to make one small correction. Nickels, dimes, pennies, and quarters are very much commonly used currency coins here in the US. The only less commonly used currency coins are half a dollar coin and a dollar coin.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 4955
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 19:35
1
Bunuel wrote:
Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5:10, respectively. If the total value of these coins is $15.50, how many dimes are in Fred’s jar?

A. 17
B. 25
C. 50
D. 85
E. 155


The ratio of coins is N : D : Q = 2x : 5x : 10x.

We can create the equation for the money value of the coins, in cents, as:

5(2x) + 10(5x) + 25(10x) = 1550

10x + 50x + 250x = 1550

310x = 1550

x = 5

So there are 5(5) = 25 dimes in the jar.

Answer: B
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 70
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 02:21
csaluja wrote:
AKY13 wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
AKY13 I agree. Nickel is not a standard unit. It is used colloquially. I do not think GMAC expects the world to know what "nickel" and "dime" are !
I had to Google to know what worth is a dime mikemcgarry will GMAC expect us to know the value of nickel and dime? I know even if it doesn't we should have that kinda knowledge. I just wish to know that does GMAC take into account the global knowledge or is it concerned only about US standards?

Posted from my mobile device


Don't stress about it, Aditya. Terms "Nickel, dimes & quarter" are not used in US but are in Canada.
I have no doubts that it must be provided. These kind of things are not part of worldly knowledge we are expected to have. Without this conversion provided, the question is not complete.
One must have the knowledge of basic conversions such as Dollar to cents.


Hi AKY13,

I would like to make one small correction. Nickels, dimes, pennies, and quarters are very much commonly used currency coins here in the US. The only less commonly used currency coins are half a dollar coin and a dollar coin.


Hi csaluja
Even if it is used in US but not popular outside US, the conversion must be provided. Quant is test not of worldly knowledge but of quantitative aptitude. GMAT gives conversion of units of length within SI units as well viz. cm to mm or vice versa. Although we must know them as we(in India) ALL studied these units conversion before we passed Xth standard.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2019, 02:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Fred has a jarful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, in the ratio of 2:5

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.