GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From Q37 down to Q31 - Help Needed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
From Q37 down to Q31 - Help Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 20:37
Hi Guys,

I need your help. I'm not sure whats happening but my Quant score is going down instead of improving. I have taken 3 Manhattan tests and they indicate a downward trend in my Quant. Obviously as you can imagine this is very disheartening specially since I am putting in a lot of effort. My method is as follows:

1. Have gone through all MGMAT books. Done mostly all the questions.

2. Have done all questions from OG 13. Obviously I have issues with questions. Have an error log where I keep track of the issues. Look to improve these problems every day by solidifying concepts and practice. One issue I might have is I am getting overwhelmed with the different amount of material there is. I am redoing the OG questions for the second time but need to pay attention to some basic areas as well like percents, fdps.

3. Writing Manhattan CATS and Official practice exams. I have only written 4 exams. How many should i plan to write before the exam?

My own inclination is that maybe I just need to practise more. However since I have practised more my score is going down considerably. What is frustrating is that I know my knowledge is much better. Maybe it is the execution I am messing up. Maybe I need to learn at a slower pace? I have read a lot of excellent posts here which is filled with great info. I have tried to give as much detail as possible. I hope you guys can give me some pointers or some ideas to tackle this a different way? Would really appreciate it!
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: From Q37 down to Q31 - Help Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 11:58
Hey quantified

The level of Quant in the Manhattan tests is quite difficult and
I don't think you need to bother so much about the test scores!
Though it is important to understand why the scores are going down.

I would recommend the following steps:

1. Take a GMATPrep test to understand what your current level is.
2. Analyze the tests you have already taken and list all the topics
you are making maximum mistakes in.

Link which you should find beneficial - Quantitative Mega-Thread

This link contains all the important concepts pertaining to the GMAT

3. Once your concepts are clear, work on solving questions in your
problem areas and see the improvement unfold. Every time you make
a mistake, make a note of the takeaway and read this list everyday.
A takeaway could be something as simple as "Consider negative
fractions when dealing with DS problems"
4. Last but not the least, invest in the GMATClub tests. In my opinion,
there is no better source to improve your skills in Quant. They make
you aware of all the traps and and also help you in understanding the
intricacies of the Quant section in the GMAT.

Hope that helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 16:31
quantified wrote:
Hi Guys,

I need your help. I'm not sure whats happening but my Quant score is going down instead of improving. I have taken 3 Manhattan tests and they indicate a downward trend in my Quant. Obviously as you can imagine this is very disheartening specially since I am putting in a lot of effort. My method is as follows:

2. Have done all questions from OG 13. Obviously I have issues with questions. Have an error log where I keep track of the issues. Look to improve these problems every day by solidifying concepts and practice. One issue I might have is I am getting overwhelmed with the different amount of material there is. I am redoing the OG questions for the second time but need to pay attention to some basic areas as well like percents, fdps.

3. Writing Manhattan CATS and Official practice exams. I have only written 4 exams. How many should i plan to write before the exam?

My own inclination is that maybe I just need to practise more. However since I have practised more my score is going down considerably. What is frustrating is that I know my knowledge is much better. Maybe it is the execution I am messing up. Maybe I need to learn at a slower pace? I have read a lot of excellent posts here which is filled with great info. I have tried to give as much detail as possible. I hope you guys can give me some pointers or some ideas to tackle this a different way? Would really appreciate it!

I recently wrote an article specifically for people in your position. You aren't alone! Hopefully you find this useful: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -going-up/

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 21:00
quantified wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hi quantified,
- Take the GMAT Prep tests -- there are 6 of them.
- Analyze your weak areas and then focus on them. Since you are scoring in mid Q30's, there might be conceptual gaps in a few areas.
- Study/revise the concepts from Manhattan / Veritas guides.
- Practice questions from Bunuel's signature and his daily feed.
- Once you are clear with the fundamentals, then you can try the GMAT Club tests if you want an elite quant score.
- Also , later with practice , you should learn to let a few questions go when they get too difficult. If you spend significantly more than 2.5-3 mins on multiple questions , then you won't be able to complete the test .

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 10:28
The level of Quant in the Manhattan tests is quite difficult and
I don't think you need to bother so much about the test scores!
Though it is important to understand why the scores are going down.

I would recommend the following steps:

1. Take a GMATPrep test to understand what your current level is.
2. Analyze the tests you have already taken and list all the topics
you are making maximum mistakes in.

Link which you should find beneficial -

This link contains all the important concepts pertaining to the GMAT

3. Once your concepts are clear, work on solving questions in your
problem areas and see the improvement unfold. Every time you make
a mistake, make a note of the takeaway and read this list everyday.
A takeaway could be something as simple as "Consider negative
fractions when dealing with DS problems"
4. Last but not the least, invest in the GMATClub tests. In my opinion,
there is no better source to improve your skills in Quant. They make
you aware of all the traps and and also help you in understanding the
intricacies of the Quant section in the GMAT.

Hope that helps you![/quote]

Thanks so much for your help. I am going to focus on getting my concepts 100% clear. Hopefully will be in a position to then look at GMATclub tests.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 10:34
ccooley wrote:
quantified wrote:
Hi Guys,

I recently wrote an article specifically for people in your position. You aren't alone! Hopefully you find this useful:

Hi Chelsey. That is an excellent article. Hit the nail right on the head. So just to be clear, I should focus on mastering each topic instead of covering everything? I have covered everything but the priority should be mastering instead of volume?
The issue comes down to time. I have a month left for the exam which is not a lot, maybe I will reschedule. My verbal is stronger than my quant but I'm scoring only 31 on Manhattan CATS. Should i focus more on verbal? Maybe it will improve my overall score more?

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 10:38
Skywalker18 wrote:
quantified wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hi quantified,
- Take the GMAT Prep tests -- there are 6 of them.
- Analyze your weak areas and then focus on them. Since you are scoring in mid Q30's, there might be conceptual gaps in a few areas.
- Study/revise the concepts from Manhattan / Veritas guides.
- Practice questions from Bunuel's signature and his daily feed.
- Once you are clear with the fundamentals, then you can try the GMAT Club tests if you want an elite quant score.
- Also , later with practice , you should learn to let a few questions go when they get too difficult. If you spend significantly more than 2.5-3 mins on multiple questions , then you won't be able to complete the test .

Hope this helps!! :)

Thanks for this! This is great advice. Do you think it would be more useful to focus more on Verbal vs Quant? Obviously I want to do well on both but maybe the output will be clearer in Verbal?
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:21
quantified wrote:
Hi Guys,

Here is the advice Ron would have provided :
if you're studying properly, you should be spending substantially MORE time on review than on doing problems. if you can do even close to 100 problems per day, that indicates that you're just doing problem after problem after problem after problem after problem, and not spending nearly enough (if any) time reviewing.

here's what you should be able to do:

for EVERY quant problem:
* don't concentrate on the solution to that actual problem, since you can be sure you aren't going to see that actual problem on the exam
* instead, try to find TAKEAWAYS from the problem, which you can then APPLY TO OTHER PROBLEMS. this is key - DO NOT LEAVE A PROBLEM until you have extracted at least one piece of information, whether a formula, a strategy, a trick/trap, etc., that you can apply to OTHER problems.
do not leave a problem until you can fill in the following sentence, meaningfully and nontrivially:
"if i see __ ON ANOTHER PROBLEM, i should __"
* notice the SIGNALS in the problem that dictate which strategy to use. if you miss the problem, then notice the strategy that's used in the book's solution (not always the best solution, in the case of the o.g., but better than nothing), and go back to see if there are any signals 'telling' you to use that strategy.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Re: From Q37 down to Q31 - Help Needed &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 00:21

From Q37 down to Q31 - Help Needed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap