GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Fully Underlined Sentences in Sentence Correction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Fully Underlined Sentences in Sentence Correction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 20:59
Hi all,

I am facing difficulty answering long & fully underlined sentences. I generally forget the meaning and miss out the details as I go through all the answer choices.
Generally, I don't use splits to answer my questions rather I depend on identifying the mistakes in the original sentence and pre-think the correct solution if I can. Otherwise, I go through the answer choices eliminating the wrong ones.
However, in the fully underlined sentences as I go through the answer choices there is information overload and I end up frustrated and committing mistakes.

I would like to know if there is any strategy to handle such questions ?

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!
Applying to ISB ? Check out the ISB Application Kit.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Fully Underlined Sentences in Sentence Correction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 22:04
Rumanshu1990 wrote:
Hi all,

I am facing difficulty answering long & fully underlined sentences. I generally forget the meaning and miss out the details as I go through all the answer choices.
Generally, I don't use splits to answer my questions rather I depend on identifying the mistakes in the original sentence and pre-think the correct solution if I can. Otherwise, I go through the answer choices eliminating the wrong ones.
However, in the fully underlined sentences as I go through the answer choices there is information overload and I end up frustrated and committing mistakes.

I would like to know if there is any strategy to handle such questions ?

hi,

use the same technique you've mentioned above...but break the sentence down into parts...this is something that I learned from e-gmats free sc webinars, try to attend these free webinars whenever they're made available...

eg

Controlling most inroads to business ventures in Europe, economists argue that the U.S., with its diminished economic leverage there, now has reason to fear the European Common Market.

A) Controlling most inroads to business ventures in Europe, economists argue that the U.S., with its diminished economic leverage there, now has reason to fear the European Common Market.

B) Controlling most inroads to business ventures in Europe, the diminished economic leverage of the U.S. there is, according to economists, one reason to fear the European Common Market.

C) Because it controls most inroads to business ventures in Europe, a place where the U.S. have diminished economic leverage, economists argue that they now have a reason to fear the European Common Market.

D) Because it controls most inroads to business ventures in Europe, economists argue that the U.S.’s diminished economic leverage is a reason for the U.S. to fear the actions of the European Common Market.

E) Economists argue that the U.S., with its diminished economic leverage in Europe, now has reason to fear the actions of the European Common Market, which controls most inroads to business ventures in Europe.

part 1 - Controlling most inroads to business ventures in Europe economists argue that
part 2 - the U.S., (with its diminished economic leverage there)
part 3 - now has reason to fear the European Common Market.

error 1 - you can see that there's a modifier issue in this... 'Controlling most inroads to business ventures in Europe' should modify European market, but it is misplaced and seems it's modifying 'Economists'

only option E corrects this...hence it is the correct answer.

question source: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/how-to-sol ... questions/

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fully Underlined Sentences in Sentence Correction &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2018, 22:04

Fully Underlined Sentences in Sentence Correction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap