Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fuqua vs Yale vs Reapply

new topic post reply Update application status  

Fuqua vs Yale vs Reapply

• 22% [7]
  • 64% [20]
  • 12% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Fuqua vs Yale vs Reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 01:19
Hi everyone,

My first post here - as the topic suggests: I'm a bit undecided between going to B-school or reapply next year

Profile:
25 year old
GMAT:750
Top 20 US undergrad
3.5 GPA
3 years of WE by matriculation
Big 4 tech consulting/advisory

Short term: MBB
Long term: starting my company

Result thus far:
Booth:ding after interview
Wharton, CBS: ding without interview
Duke, Yale: admitted without scholarship

I was hoping to get in an M7 school this year but the reality disagreed with me. My question is that if I reapply next year: with one more year under my belt, I will have 4 years of WE before matriculate - just in-line with other candidates, would 1 more year really make that big of difference and significantly increase my chance? In my opinion, with 3 year experience (2 years when apply), AO would label my profile as "early applicant" and still compare me to applicants who are consultant/senior consultant with 4-5 years of working experience or those harvard+MBB three-year candidates, but I will be in-line with the mainstream applicants next year (also will receive a promotion). I talked to some friends who went through this process and they told me Fuqua & Yale places pretty well into MBB - that's no problem if you just wanted to move into MBB - but an M7 MBA would be quite helpful in the longer term (acquiring funding/alum network/starting business etc). The risk of reapplying is that I could end up with nothing next year.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!
Director
Director
P
Re: Fuqua vs Yale vs Reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 02:03
potatobasket wrote:
Hi everyone,

My first post here - as the topic suggests: I'm a bit undecided between going to B-school or reapply next year

Profile:
25 year old
Top 20 US undergrad
3.5 GPA

Result thus far:

I was hoping to get in an M7 school this year but the reality disagreed with me. My question is that if I reapply next year: with one more year under my belt, I will have 4 years of WE before matriculate - just in-line with other candidates, would 1 more year really make that big of difference and significantly increase my chance? In my opinion, with 3 year experience (2 years when apply), AO would label my profile as "early applicant" and still compare me to applicants who are consultant/senior consultant with 4-5 years of working experience or those harvard+MBB three-year candidates, but I will be in-line with the mainstream applicants next year (also will receive a promotion). I talked to some friends who went through this process and they told me Fuqua & Yale places pretty well into MBB - that's no problem if you just wanted to move into MBB - but an M7 MBA would be quite helpful in the longer term (acquiring funding/alum network/starting business etc). The risk of reapplying is that I could end up with nothing next year.

Thanks!

Go to Yale. There's no guarantee you will score better on the GMAT and M7 is difficult for most people. Fuqua is a great school but Yale is marginally better in Consulting and places very well in MBB.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 15:49
Welcome to GMAT Club and congratulations on your Admits!

To take the offer or to reapply..... It all depends of course - the worst kind of answer ;) How good were your applications this year? Were you just worse than other applicants on paper or did your applications not have the shine they could have? Can you stay at your job or do you HAVE to go MBA?

Some schools do like younger candidates and some prefer older, and Yale seems to be a younger type of a school.

Are you mature enough right now? Are you able to take advantage of the MBA program at the moment or will the collective burden of your undergrad and grad loans crush you?

Look at your applications and what difference you want to make in the next year or two - you are still fairly young, which I know how one feels when others tell them that, so i am guessing you will ignore it but you do have time and you can accomplish quite a bit. You have to see if you can make a difference and bend the professional/career trajectory up at your workplace or will it continue at the current pace? I doubt you will do worse next near but if the economy takes a hit and your responsibilities are cut and there are a lot more applicants, it may get tougher, but I don't think your chances will be worse if that's what you are considering.

At the same time Yale and Fuqua are in and out of the top 10 over the years and offer solid placements into MBB. But if you want not to have regrets and not have second thoughts (which I think this whole post is about), there is probably only one way to do it - hire an admissions consultant for 2-4 hours and pay them a grand and basically have them review your application and provide you advice and their input. You are already committing to pay $150K for the MBA, what's $1K for peace of mind? (potentially also saves you from the deposit you will have to put down).

Congratulations! Many would be very very happy with the school selection you ended up with.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 20:53
I’ll be able to better reply once you provide me your reasons for not applying to Kellogg given that your goal is to break into MBB. I also see that you got dinged after interview at Booth, which only tells me that you had a decent ‘story’. You are on the younger side of the spectrum and frankly that also plays a part when say you have 2 candidates but 1 spot. Schools usually go for older candidate as age is used as a proxy in this case for more nuanced conversations an experienced person can bring to the table.

Other thing that top 5 schools have started to look at is the relevance of your goal to where you are right now. You mentioned that you come from big 4 tech consulting/advisory. I’m assuming you mean Deloitte, ATK, Strategy & and like. If that’s the case, if you mentioned that you want to now switch to MBB without having genuine reasons (other than a better brand name), your application was not deemed worthy of an admit at Booth/CBS/Wharton.

If you do stick with your current choices, Fuqua wins over Yale as they have a stronger MBB recruitment but a smaller class size of Yale might play in your favor. Smaller class size can also hinder your experience as you won’t have that many experiences to draw upon.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 21:44
I disagree with the above poster on a couple of points.
1. Both Fuqua and SOM send 30-40 to MBB with class sizes of 450 and 350 odd. Which means SOM does a better job and your odds are better at SOM.
2. I am not sure what more you can draw from a class of 450 that you can't from 350. Infact, I would argue that large class sizes are actually distracting and you don't get to even know everyone.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 23:13
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
I’ll be able to better reply once you provide me your reasons for not applying to Kellogg given that your goal is to break into MBB. I also see that you got dinged after interview at Booth, which only tells me that you had a decent ‘story’. You are on the younger side of the spectrum and frankly that also plays a part when say you have 2 candidates but 1 spot. Schools usually go for older candidate as age is used as a proxy in this case for more nuanced conversations an experienced person can bring to the table.

Other thing that top 5 schools have started to look at is the relevance of your goal to where you are right now. You mentioned that you come from big 4 tech consulting/advisory. I’m assuming you mean Deloitte, ATK, Strategy & and like. If that’s the case, if you mentioned that you want to now switch to MBB without having genuine reasons (other than a better brand name), your application was not deemed worthy of an admit at Booth/CBS/Wharton.

If you do stick with your current choices, Fuqua wins over Yale as they have a stronger MBB recruitment but a smaller class size of Yale might play in your favor. Smaller class size can also hinder your experience as you won’t have that many experiences to draw upon.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for your input. Kellogg is probably the #1 consulting school where almost everyone I worked for who are applying this year applied to. B-schools typically have a certain number of seats for a specific cohort, so I guess if I can't get in CBS my chance of getting in Kellogg is rather slim. Secondly, from my interaction with current students, I got the impression that Kellogg does put more weight on the length of working experience compared to other schools like Booth/CBS. It may as well be the sample size, but the youngest student I knew has 4 years before matriculation.

To answer your second question, I'm working in tech consulting which is quite different from strategy. So I was hoping to use MBA to pivot into consulting that is more strategy focused, and probably into a better brand as well.
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 23:50
potatobasket wrote:

Thanks for your input. Kellogg is probably the #1 consulting school where almost everyone I worked for who are applying this year applied to. B-schools typically have a certain number of seats for a specific cohort, so I guess if I can't get in CBS my chance of getting in Kellogg is rather slim. Secondly, from my interaction with current students, I got the impression that Kellogg does put more weight on the length of working experience compared to other schools like Booth/CBS. It may as well be the sample size, but the youngest student I knew has 4 years before matriculation.

To answer your second question, I'm working in tech consulting which is quite different from strategy. So I was hoping to use MBA to pivot into consulting that is more strategy focused, and probably into a better brand as well.

Fair points and yes, Kellogg does lean more towards the length of your employment but at the end of the day, it is all about quality of WE over quantity. As for your CBS vs Kellogg thing, I got dinged after interview at CBS while I got admitted to Kellogg. So, you can not base your chances on ding from other schools. It is a weird set of things that come together to determine whether you get into a particular top 5 school or for that matter M7.

I understand that tech consulting is different from strategy consulting but the trend that I have seen personally is that too many people are trying to switch to MBB only for that prestige (which is true to an extent). Hence, adcoms have become quite wary of such candidates. If you were able to show that you knew why you wanted to switch to MBB, you should be fine wrt that consideration.

Finally, I wanted to know your reasons for reapplying as most people do undertake that journey without doing proper due diligence as to why your application failed in the first place. Something that bb has alluded to in his post as well. I would say, seek out "ding analysis" for one of your apps (an app you personally thought was your best one) via admissions consultants (you can find a list on GC) and see what they say. Back in the day, feedback I got for my Wharton app (dinged after interview) was that they couldnt find anything that would have dinged me. So, I think it is ok to go the reapplication route. Mind you, with reapplications, schools want to see that you have 'grown' and done some 'self introspection' within that 1 year.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
MBA Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 17:08
potatobasket wrote:
Hi everyone,

Profile:
25 year old
Top 20 US undergrad
3.5 GPA

Result thus far:

Thanks!

Hello Potato Basket,

First of all, congrats on your acceptances. There's a lot that goes into a decision of decline offers or accept them. I agree with Bogdan -- it depends. However if the schools you are accepted to support your goals, then I'm inclined to grab the bird in hand. But let's examine your situation more closely.

1) Your academics are highly competitive. Nothing rally to change there.
2) Your work experience is on the low side and a year should change that, especially if you get a promotion and can show greater impact at work.
3) No discussion of community service so I can't comment on that. However its absence may also be something to change in the upcoming year.
4) The quality of your presentation. Can't comment. If it could be improved, it could change both acceptance and scholarship offers.

If you accept either Duke's or Yale's offer, you start your MBA a year sooner which marginally reduces your opportunity cost and means you will have one more year of post-MBA earnings. If you reject their offer, you are less likely to get accepted when you reapply. (I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is less likely.)

If you improve on #3 and #4 above, your chances should improve at programs like Columbia, Chicago, Kellogg, and other M7s that are strong both in consulting placement and entrepreneurship, which is basically all of the M7.

So basically it boils down to how much does that M7 brand mean to you? is it worth completing your MBA a year later and possibly blowing your chance to attend Duke or Yale?

If you decide that you really want the better brand M7 MBA or if you simply want to have more informed input before you make your decision, then I agree with Bogdan and I would strongly encourage you to have a Rejection Review. In the context of the MBA, the cost is pocket change and the insight could be invaluable.

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 17:11
Surprised by the voting results given Fuqua's historical MBB placement and rep. Like mentioned above, those two schools would likely not readmit given that they understand you'd be shooting higher. That is a big risk, and given your background and scores, you would be a ripe candidate for MBB going into either of these places right now. I would say 1) go this year and get a huge head start on increased earning power 2) choose based on fit, as Yale and Duke are peers in this space. Were you able to attend admitted students days?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fuqua vs Yale vs Reapply   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2019, 17:11

Fuqua vs Yale vs Reapply

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch