Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Send PM
Re: General question - Permutation vs. Combination [#permalink]
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:

The example you had about 5 seats and 3 people, that required us to "arrange" in a sense but a very similar problem where we had to choose 3 out of 5, we had to "unarrange". I guess my biggest disconnect is what was the trigger that we had to arrange? Was it because they had given us seats?

After selection, if you are going to assign them a place/number/position, you need permutation. If you are just going to carry on with a bunch, this is combination.
5 friends and 3 seats example needed you to select 5 friends and then make them sit on 3 distinct seats - permutation
When you had to select 3 friends out of 5 to take them to a vacation, you just need a bunch. You are not allotting them any positions - combination

russ9 wrote:
Is it safe to say that when the GMAT wants us to PUT something/something IN/ON something -- that usually means that it's an arrange problem, hence a permutation problem?

A random question that I just thought might be relevant? I'm going to paraphrase here but it went something like, "There are 3 red marbles and 7 blue. We pick 3, what is the probability of picking at least 2 blue". I understand that we are adding a probability scenario here but if we just talk about the "favorable outcomes/numerator" and talk about the different combinations, why is it that we have to "arrange" BBR, BRB, RBB when we use the probability equation -- (7/10)(6/9)(3/8) + (7/10)(3/9)(2/8) + ... BUT if we use a Combination/Permutation equation, we don't have to arrange, meaning, we can solve by doing (7C2)(3c1) but we don't need to account for if it's BBR, BRB etc.

Sorry for the long winded question but I hope this helps clarify the topic for other users as well.

Thanks a ton,
Russ

Very hard to generalize the "IN/ON" statement but yeah, I would guess that would be true in most cases.

You consider all arrangements such as BBR/BRB etc because these are the numerous ways in which you can pick marbles.

I am assuming that you meant to write "the probability of picking 2 Blue and 1 Red marbles".
In the combination approach, you ignore arrangements because it is a probability question. You CAN arrange in both favorable cases as well as total cases. The ratio of Favorable/Total will stay the same. To arrange the 3 balls you will multiply the numerator by 3!. To arrange the 3 balls in total cases, you will multiply the denominator by 3! too. The 3!s get canceled. That is why you can ignore the arrangements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I believe one giveaway could be individuality. Fo eg if the questions contains keywords like "identical" /"similar" balls then arranging makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Going with the discussion, could someone explain why in one of the questions order is necessary and in the other it is not? My initial instinct was that order is not necessary for either but I feel I am missing something.

The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

A jar contains 8 red marbles and y white marbles. If Joan takes 2 random marbles from the jar, is it more likely that she will have 2 red marbles than that she will have one marble of each color?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kjh248 wrote:
Going with the discussion, could someone explain why in one of the questions order is necessary and in the other it is not? My initial instinct was that order is not necessary for either but I feel I am missing something.

The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

A jar contains 8 red marbles and y white marbles. If Joan takes 2 random marbles from the jar, is it more likely that she will have 2 red marbles than that she will have one marble of each color?

In the first one, you do not have to consider the order in which they buy the cars. They select 3 of the 4 colors and then for each color, they just select the model.

In the second one, if you are using probability, you have to consider the probability of picking RW and add it to probability of picking WR. This question is discussed here: a-jar-contains-8-red-marbles-and-y-white-marbles-if-joan-101748.html
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
kjh248 wrote:

If interested, the first question is discussed here: the-carson-family-will-purchase-three-used-cars-there-are-128876.html and the second one here: a-jar-contains-8-red-marbles-and-y-white-marbles-if-joan-101748.html

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Awesome. I should have searched before asking my question. Thank you both for your help!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts