Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava [#permalink]
lionheart187 wrote:
Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.
a) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
b) had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted
c) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted
d) would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted
e) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted

Can anyone explain why B is not thr correct answer? Shouldn't the past perfect tense be used here since the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days had been a thought that occurred in the past? there are two past actions: thought and was.

Please explain, along with a brief description about when to use and when not to use the past perfect!!

Before Scientists thought volcanoes were X,Now they think volcanoes are Y.
We need a simple past tense and a present tense to express the idea -thought/think=know

Now if the sentence mean to say the molten rock was P before the volcano and became Q after the volcano then we need a past perfect tense and past tense to express 2 events that occured in the past at 2 different times

In the given SC, the lava was oozing out in the earth's earliest days. It isn't sppecified that lava existed before and later it oozed

I remember reading in OG that a simple past tense is preferable (whenevr possible) to a past perfect tense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
A is best..

scientist once that that X was Y..but now know that it is W..

we need an adverbial modifier..that usage is best in A..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I originally thought A also (I saw this somewhere else too). I think the reason the answer is B is due to events happening in the past. The MGMAT guide shows events on a timeline. we are in the center and to the left is the past. I first identify the subject + verb and the tense of each verb.

First: Geologists thought. This one is tricky because "to think" is an irregular verb form. I think this is used as a past perfect tense.

Then we have "molten rock...was/had been". I believe B is correct because in the past, the scientists thought something about the past of the molten rock. In the past, when the scientists thought, they thought the rock had been an underground remnant of..."

This is tricky and I don't completely agree with the OA entirely, but this is the only explanation I could come up with.

lionheart187 wrote:
Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.
a) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
b) had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted
c) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted
d) would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted
e) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted

Can anyone explain why B is not thr correct answer? Shouldn't the past perfect tense be used here since the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days had been a thought that occurred in the past? there are two past actions: thought and was.

Please explain, along with a brief description about when to use and when not to use the past perfect!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 357 [0]
Send PM
just got a thought...in case sentence itself clarify sequence of events do we still have to explicitly add perfect tense as in case of this sentence "was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days" ,earliest days make it clear that remnant where there before Geologist started to think...so do we have to use past perfect tense...

or consider this one

i was walking in the park before it started to rain
OR
i had been walking in the park before it started to rain.

which one is correct..???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 357 [0]
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
diehard4 wrote:
just got a thought...in case sentence itself clarify sequence of events do we still have to explicitly add perfect tense as in case of this sentence "was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days" ,earliest days make it clear that remnant where there before Geologist started to think...so do we have to use past perfect tense...

or consider this one

OR

which one is correct..???
That depends on what you are trying to say.

But i can't see any difference in meaning of these sentences...help... :roll:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
OR

The difference is in what time you place the reader. The first sentence, you're placing your reader at the time you were walking in the park. Think of it like telling a story. "I was walking in the park before it started to rain. Then, from behind me came..."

The second one, places your reader at some point in the future, reflecting back on the event of you walking in the park before it started to rain.

Generally, when it makes sense, we want to place the reader in the moment, as in the first one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
I guess I would be in 'A' bandwagon.
*EDITED*
Someone asked why past perfect or B wasn't a prefered choice?
I guess as we all already know, when the two events in the past need to differentiated on the basis of time. For example:
The train had already left when we got to the train station.

We did not have this situation here...

Originally posted by mbawaters on 21 Jul 2008, 14:36.
Last edited by mbawaters on 21 Jul 2008, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
My bet is A.

I think we do not need to use past perfect. Would is incorrect. B and D are out. C has wrong referent. Also E is wrong, because of the usage of having.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Send PM
Good one!

I too fall into the Modifier trap and thought “A” has modifier issue because “sporadically erupting through volcanoes,” modifies days.

The trick with the sentence is: a) Unlike modifier (adjective) phrase, an adverbal modifier phrase can be positioned any where within the sentence – necessarily not nearest to the noun or action that inteds to modifty. Hold A:

B – Why to have past continuos tense when simple past is better alternative – hold it

C – Which modifier issue

D – Tone change (from was – would be?)

E – having – incorrectly modifies days

Finally between A and B:
A – earns more points than B on the basis of “adverbial modifier” and “not having to use past continuous”
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Can anyone please explain why C is not the choice .

I saw some body writing that "which " modifier is wrong .

Can you please tell why is it wrong ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Can anyone please explain why C is not the choice .

I saw some body writing that "which " modifier is wrong .

Can you please tell why is it wrong ?

Thanks

'WHICH' when used in GMAT serves as a relative pronoun rather than as a modifier.It will only refer to the word preceding it ,not the entire clause..THAT'S WHY 'WHICH' IS WRONG.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1928 [0]
Send PM
OE for B: (B) This choice unnecessarily and incorrectly changes the simple past "was" to the past perfect "had been," which is used only when describing the earlier of two past actions. Moreover, the use of "and" here equates the geologists' false understanding of lava with the fact that it sometimes erupts through volcanoes.

I think that lava, which was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, erupted through volcanoes. This term is true, in fact. But I do not understand why author mentions that B makes readers misunderstand.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Ron said:::
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ge ... 22-45.html

We are retiring this problem in its current form, because it has several issues.

First, as you point out, "which" is not necessarily wrong here.

Second -- and more importantly -- the ostensibly correct answer to this problem doesn't actually work.
In choice A, the modifier "sporadically erupting..." does not describe anything in the preceding part, so it doesn't make sense as a "comma + __ing" modifier (which must meaningfully describe the subject+action of the preceding sentence).
Incidentally, choice A of the Dickinson problem (OG12 #26) is wrong for exactly the same reason!

This problem is no longer in our database. It will be replaced by an updated (and fully correct) version soon.

Because the problem is no longer in the database, this thread is now retired.

Thanks.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts