Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [15]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, OD
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Butler, Indiana
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having observed that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Shaw: "Bakers can be paid more to make more bread, but that it doesn't follow that surgeons should be paid more to cut off legs."

A aptly describes a similar situation among dentists, who perform unnecessary procedures to increase their earnings.

IMO, straight A.

- Anand
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having observed that [#permalink]
Why is not B?
The argument here is that as bread caters to all, doctors are only speacilizing in diseases that cater to all.
I am not sure how performing unnecessary surgery goes with the criticism.

Please explain
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [4]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Its an easy A).

The key in such convoluted questions is to not get intimidated by the language - instead try to work out the logic used. G.B.Shaw [great character btw ;-) ] made the argument criticizing the causal argument made by the nation's Govt.

The nation's govt realized that if bakers have a monetary incentive of profiteering in baking bread, the nation would be well fed. G.B.Shaw criticizes this causal logic and extrapolates it in the case of surgeons who could be given a monetary incentive for cutting legs [red flag: extreme logic used, possible clue for answer]. He obviously fears that surgeons would go around cutting legs even in the cases that don't require this.

The Question asked is "Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?

Now proceed to the options:
A) Says some dentists would do unnecessary dental work if given a profit incentive.
This is most parallel to "surgeons who cut legs in cases that are not required. "

B) C) D) E) talk about OT or distortions like "raising mkt share", "increasing the profit margin (as opposed to creating one in the first place) " etc. etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
IndigoIntentions wrote:
Its an easy A).

The key in such convoluted questions is to not get intimidated by the language - instead try to work out the logic used. G.B.Shaw [great character btw ;-) ] made the argument criticizing the causal argument made by the nation's Govt.

The nation's govt realized that if bakers have a monetary incentive of profiteering in baking bread, the nation would be well fed. G.B.Shaw criticizes this causal logic and extrapolates it in the case of surgeons who could be given a monetary incentive for cutting legs [red flag: extreme logic used, possible clue for answer]. He obviously fears that surgeons would go around cutting legs even in the cases that don't require this.

The Question asked is "Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?

Now proceed to the options:
A) Says some dentists would do unnecessary dental work if given a profit incentive.
This is most parallel to "surgeons who cut legs in cases that are not required. "

B) C) D) E) talk about OT or distortions like "raising mkt share", "increasing the profit margin (as opposed to creating one in the first place) " etc. etc.

Why is E incorrect ? It talks about both bakers and surgeons.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
E) Talks about "basic needs". This put me off since surgery as intended in the original premise is not a basic need.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
Own Kudos [?]: 2274 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Price of bread is subject to laws of supply/demand. Surgeons case is not such.
Of course a case can be made that if Surgeon B charges less for his services than Surgeon A, then economics will work here too.

I read the stimulus thrice but was not very clear on what the message was- (pecuniary=monetary, but that still doesn't help)
Made an educated guess that GBS was trying to point out a systemic flaw from an ethical standpoint.

Thus dentists case looks more attractive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
"That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity."

Question Type: Parallel Reasoning?

Rephrase: A nation, knowing that it could provide for you a supply of bread by paying bakers to bake for you, instead pay surgeons to cut off your leg.

Pre-phrase- paying more to surgeons for something non-basic than for bakers who supply the basic need of bread (food).

(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profitCorrect, unnecessary work is analogous to being something that is not basic (such as cutting off someone's leg).
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population- this would be providing for a basic need- wrong direction

(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins- ehhh shell game
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share- wrong direction
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples basic needs- surgueons do not provide a basic need

A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:
George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity.

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?

(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples basic needs

Good question. Spent 1 min 50 seconds on it. Got A.

You really have to read the question stem properly to get this right. It asks what statement "would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?" The key word is criticize.

Shaw does not criticize the baker in his statement. His whole idea is that a "sane" society (he does not believe this is sane) observes that a baker gets a reward for baking and uses the same method to get a surgeon to cut off a leg (by giving the surgeon a reward). He thinks this is a bad way of doing things in general because a surgeon should not receive money based on the number of legs he cuts off. He believes that a baker earning money for baking his goods is NOT a good thing to apply everywhere.

So, what else would fit the bill (no pun intended...well maybe a little)? "A" is the only one that makes sense. Other options really just talk about examples like the baker baking his/her goods.

I also did not know what "peciniary" meant. I took a guess that it meant something like "reward" or "money" and just went with it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
IMO A

George Bernard Shaw wrote: That any sane nation, having observed that you could provide for the supply of bread by giving bakers a pecuniary interest in baking for you, should go on to give a surgeon a pecuniary interest in cutting off your leg is enough to make one despair of political humanity.

Shaw's statement would best serve as an illustration in an argument criticizing which of the following?

(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples basic needs

The argument clearly critizes the morality of a profession by making an analogy when bakers are given a pecuniary interest for baking more and surgeons cutting off leg just to make more money. similarly, dentists make more money by doing unnecessary dental work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
This was a tough one!
My instinct was to go with A but I think this would be a question that I would spend a lot of time on during the exam rather than just picking something and moving on (Something I need to work on)

After looking up the meaning for Pecuniary - of or pertaining to money

(A) Dentists who perform unnecessary dental work in order to earn a profit - Criticize for performing unnecessary work for money
(B) Doctors who increase their profits by specializing only in diseases that affect a large percentage of the population - Not necessarily unnecessary
(C) Grocers who raise the price of food in order to increase their profit margins - Doesn’t fit the scope of the question
(D) Oil companies that decrease the price of their oil in order to increase their market share - Doesn’t fit the scope of the question
(E) Bakers and surgeons who earn a profit by supplying other peoples’ basic needs - This is not a criticism but an explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:

It took me awhile to understand what GB Shaw was saying so I read the prompt multiple times. Once I understood it, this was pretty straightforward.

A basic explanation of the prompt (IMO) is that GB thinks it sane to give a baker a monetary interest in making bread for you. But that sanity stops when it is stretched to giving someone a profit motive for doing something that can have a devastating impact on someone's life. This is part of a larger argument of private vs. public sector. For example - imagine a for profit fire department? Police department? Can you imagine what would happen if those two things were privately owned? So having a profit motive of having someone cut off legs makes GB lack faith in "political" humanity - or humanity period. Moving on to the actual answer choices:

A - Fits with this perfectly. Dentist pulling teeth unnecessarily to make money follows the same line of thinking.
B - These doctors aren't given the opportunity to perform things that aren't needed. They are making a personal decision on what field they are going into. Not relevant as far as I'm concerned.
C - Someone selling groceries is similar to a baker not someone cutting off legs. This isn't relevant either.
D - Once again this is not something with a twisted motive of causing personal harm. Yes you could argue it harms people's wallets if they decide to monopolize or oligopolize a particular industry but that is NOT equivalent to physically harming someone.
E - This is completely irrelevant. GB Shaw is not saying how they both provide needed services. He's critiquing the fact that surgeons provide a service that can be quite harmful if it is strictly a profit motive.

A jumped out at me for this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:

1. I have never seen an answer being right that repeats something from the question. So I would have, and did, rule out E because it mentions BAKERS and SURGEONS. This is a trick answer designed to make the unwary fall for the trap.
2. Furthermore, the answer can't be E because cutting off legs is not a basic need. Sure, sustenance is a basic need, but half a correct answer is an incorrect answer.
3. Grocers increasing the price of food to increase their profit margins does not quite fit here. There must be a correlation. And that correlation here is earning money for something that is unnecessary/unethical. Lest I don't make myself clear with the above, think of it this way. If a doctor makes money from cutting off legs, s/he will cut off legs even when that is not absolutely necessary. And there goes the "unnecessary" in A.

I do admit though, I tested at 98th percentile in Verbal on my last test, am a lawyer, was an English major, and this was a toughie!!! I wasn't completely sure with my answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts