GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Calling all UCLA Anderson MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

December 19, 2018

December 19, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Chat with UCLA Adcoms in GMATClub Chat Room. With less than a month to R2 deadline, I hope the chat session will prove to be very helpful. Wednesday, Dec 19 @ 9AM PST
  • Yale R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

December 19, 2018

December 19, 2018

10:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

One of our forum members, ak99 recently got accepted at Yale SOM in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

Georgetown McDonough (with $$) vs Cornell Johnson

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Georgetown McDonough (with $$) vs Cornell Johnson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2016, 13:15
Hi all! I would very much appreciate your advice on a conundrum I’m having (admittedly it’s a good one to have). I am trying to decide between admission offers to Georgetown McDonough’s MBA program (with about a half tuition scholarship) and Cornell Johnson’s MBA program with no money. I am about three years out of business school undergrad with some consulting experience and my goal after MBA is to get into commercial strategy consulting. I’d like to stay on the east coast, and ideally in the Philadelphia area after graduation. What do you guys think would be a better decision? It seems like Cornell’s program is slightly stronger rankings wise and puts a bigger focus on hands on learning, but Georgetown has a higher percentage of the class getting into consulting. Although a significant portion of those people probably get into federal consulting, which I want to avoid. Also, I imagine that the same firms that recruit at Georgetown also recruit at Cornell, but the prospect of living in DC for two years sounds more appealing than Ithaca. Which offer would you go with? And would your opinion change if Cornell was to offer some money? Thanks so much in advance!
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Georgetown McDonough (with $$) vs Cornell Johnson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 04:03
curiousbob wrote:
Hi all! I would very much appreciate your advice on a conundrum I’m having (admittedly it’s a good one to have). I am trying to decide between admission offers to Georgetown McDonough’s MBA program (with about a half tuition scholarship) and Cornell Johnson’s MBA program with no money. I am about three years out of business school undergrad with some consulting experience and my goal after MBA is to get into commercial strategy consulting. I’d like to stay on the east coast, and ideally in the Philadelphia area after graduation. What do you guys think would be a better decision? It seems like Cornell’s program is slightly stronger rankings wise and puts a bigger focus on hands on learning, but Georgetown has a higher percentage of the class getting into consulting. Although a significant portion of those people probably get into federal consulting, which I want to avoid. Also, I imagine that the same firms that recruit at Georgetown also recruit at Cornell, but the prospect of living in DC for two years sounds more appealing than Ithaca. Which offer would you go with? And would your opinion change if Cornell was to offer some money? Thanks so much in advance!

Cornell is by far your best bet, particularly with your goals. Neither places into MBB, but Cornell is able to get you in the door at firms like Accenture, PwC, etc. Georgetown McDonough really only places mainly into federal or niche consulting roles.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 11:15
Flyte wrote:
curiousbob wrote:

Cornell is by far your best bet, particularly with your goals. Neither places into MBB, but Cornell is able to get you in the door at firms like Accenture, PwC, etc. Georgetown McDonough really only places mainly into federal or niche consulting roles.

Thanks for your response! I'm told that McKinsey and Bain recruit at MSB, and the Big 4 do as well, but can't figure out if it's only for their public sector clients or also for commercial. I'm getting the sense that Cornell provides marginally better recruiting opportunities than MSB but not sure if it's enough to justify the higher program cost/moving to Ithaca for a couple of years.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 11:38
curiousbob wrote:
Flyte wrote:
curiousbob wrote:

Thanks for your response! I'm told that McKinsey and Bain recruit at MSB, and the Big 4 do as well, but can't figure out if it's only for their public sector clients or also for commercial. I'm getting the sense that Cornell provides marginally better recruiting opportunities than MSB but not sure if it's enough to justify the higher program cost/moving to Ithaca for a couple of years.

McK and Bain do not do active OCR for MBAs at McDonough (I briefly looked at and toured McDonough). At most one graduate goes every couple of years, which honestly is close to Cornell. However, Cornell will get MUCH better looks from second and third tier firms. In any event neither is a target for MBB and Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere, but Cornell is better regarded by a wide margin.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 15:38
I see, alright thanks for the insight! Looks like I have to really weigh all sides of this one.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '18 (M)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 18:17
curiousbob wrote:
I see, alright thanks for the insight! Looks like I have to really weigh all sides of this one.

MBB take about 4-5 people from Cornell and Gtown every year (cited from current consulting club students from each school). I would suppose Cornell places better into top tier, below MBB, firms, but I think it's negligible.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 19:09
bulldurham wrote:
curiousbob wrote:

MBB take about 4-5 people from Cornell and Gtown every year (cited from current consulting club students from each school). I would suppose Cornell places better into top tier, below MBB, firms, but I think it's negligible.

Thanks, yeah the sense that I'm getting after talking to more people is that Cornell has a slightly better placement rates than MSB. But don't think it's significant enough to pass up a half tuition scholarship at MSB and to move to middle of nowhere upstate NY for two years.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.03

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 08:03
Flyte wrote:
McK and Bain do not do active OCR for MBAs at McDonough (I briefly looked at and toured McDonough). At most one graduate goes every couple of years, which honestly is close to Cornell. However, Cornell will get MUCH better looks from second and third tier firms. In any event neither is a target for MBB and Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere, but Cornell is better regarded by a wide margin.

Some facts on McDonough recruiting:
From the FT 2015 class at MSB, BCG took 2 and Bain took 1. That's pretty standard for the past ~5 years. About 20-25 students (~10% of the class) interviewed with Bain and BCG for internships (no clue on results). It's true McK has less of a presence, but there were a couple from the 2013 and 2014 classes I think. Big 4 recruiting is pretty strong these days, and I'd say it is 65/35 in favor of commercial. Assume about 20-30 hires for those firms annually.

I have nothing to offer in the way of numbers re: Cornell, so I'll let a current student/recent alum offer perspective.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Georgetown McDonough (with $$) vs Cornell Johnson &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jan 2016, 08:03

Georgetown McDonough (with $$) vs Cornell Johnson

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap