Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [22]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Send PM
Re: Getting 770 in my first attempt (Q49, V47, IR8) [#permalink]
Great score! V47 wow. How were the RC passages in terms of difficulty? How were the Quant questions compared to GMAT Prep Quant questions in terms of difficulty?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RC was fine - in line with what I saw in official mocks.

I found CR to be especially challenging this time around vs what I typically saw. SC was a bit harder than normal too.

Posted from my mobile device
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
skatensurf great job! may I ask how did you prep for the SC section?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Congratulations for superb GMAT score and thanks for your debrief. I am planning to take exam in August this year. Hoping everything normalizes by then. I have started my preparation since last one month. I believe quant is my strength being an engineer. However, my quant score is not improving beyond 44-45 after couple of mocks that include GMAT official prep as well GMAT club tests.

I understand my weakness in verbal section. Considering this, I want to significantly improve quant score upto 49-50 so that it makes up my weakness in verbal section. Another concern is time management issue. In most mocks, I am unable complete all questions within time which is either hurrying me up for random guess at the end or forcing me to leave the questions unattempted. My study schedule is on average 2-3 days in a week/ 1-2 hrs per day .

I would like to get some valuable inputs from you on those aspects if you have also faced similar issues during your preparation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
somenathd wrote:
Congratulations for superb GMAT score and thanks for your debrief. I am planning to take exam in August this year. Hoping everything normalizes by then. I have started my preparation since last one month. I believe quant is my strength being an engineer. However, my quant score is not improving beyond 44-45 after couple of mocks that include GMAT official prep as well GMAT club tests.

I understand my weakness in verbal section. Considering this, I want to significantly improve quant score upto 49-50 so that it makes up my weakness in verbal section. Another concern is time management issue. In most mocks, I am unable complete all questions within time which is either hurrying me up for random guess at the end or forcing me to leave the questions unattempted. My study schedule is on average 2-3 days in a week/ 1-2 hrs per day .

I would like to get some valuable inputs from you on those aspects if you have also faced similar issues during your preparation.

Thank you and I understand your concern with time management. I struggled with it as well. I think it will naturally come as you do more and more questions. My advice is:

1) Re-do questions you got incorrect until you can do them in your sleep. This helps tremendously with time management as it allows you to see patterns in solving quant questions and also helps you execute the solving of these problems more quickly.

2) Develop a guessing strategy. I hated guessing. To me, it was an acknowledgement that I did not know. But I noticed my scores improved dramatically after I thought carefully about a guessing strategy. In the end, GMAT quant is about time management more than anything. I'm sure you and I both would score Q50+ if we had all the time in the world to finish the exam. What makes 700+ questions difficult is mostly that you have to solve them in under 2-3 minutes, not that they're too difficult to figure out themselves.

My guessing strategy in quant was as follows:
500 and some 600 level questions only took me under a minute to solve, so I knew I could spend roughly 3 minutes for each "hard" question. If in two minutes, I do not see myself solving the problem in the next minute (i.e. I'm not in the middle of working to the correct answer), I would spend 20 seconds making an educated guess (e.g. which answers seem too obvious to be correct, which DS answers seem like trap answers, etc.) and move on.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
AnirudhaS wrote:
skatensurf great job! may I ask how did you prep for the SC section?

Thank you. For SC I relied mostly on OG and OG Verbal questions, as well as the GMATClub Question Bank. With that said, I read a ton (over 200 books in the last three years) so I knew that SC and RC would not be my areas of weaknesses.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
770 is a great score! Thank you for sharing and good luck with things moving forward.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Getting 770 in my first attempt (Q49, V47, IR8) [#permalink]
Many congratulations. 770 (Q49, V47, IR8) in your maiden attempt is an achievement. Thank you for taking the time out and helping others.

You said you have read more than 200 books during the past three years which you found useful for your RC and SC prep. Did you consciously approval reading these 200 books keeping GMAT prep as well in mind. If yes, what did you read?

Wishing you all the best for your MBA program. You were already admitted before giving the GMAT. It means your profile is very good and the admissions office only needed your high GMAT score to confirm your good profile. It would also help us understand your score better if you could share a little bit more about your educational background and how much of an avid reader have you been from childhood because a V47 is a fantastic score (especially with so little prep).

Hearty congratulations once again.

Originally posted by CAMANISHPARMAR on 18 May 2020, 20:43.
Last edited by CAMANISHPARMAR on 21 May 2020, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Many congratulations. 770 (Q49, V47, IR8) in your maiden attempt is an achievement. Thank you for taking the time out and helping others.

You said you have read more than 200 books during the past three years which you found useful for your RC and SC prep. Did you consciously approval reading these 200 books keeping GMAT prep as well in mind. If yes, what did you read?

Wishing you all the best for your MBA program. You aid you were already admitted before giving the GMAT. It means your profile is very good and the admissions office only needed your high GMAT score to confirm your good profile. It would also help us understand your score better if you could share a little bit more about your educational background and how much of an avid reader have you been from childhood because a V47 is a fantastic score (especially with so little prep).

Thank you for the kind words.

I definitely did not read for GMAT prep in mind. I just thoroughly enjoy reading different types of books (mostly non-fiction) - it's a habit I picked up rather early on. I also read the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and Scientific American every day. I would emphasize quality over quantity in terms of reading materials. I write a blog every week to go over some of the more interesting articles I read to dissect the authors' arguments (again, not for GMAT prep, I just enjoy reading and writing :) ).

But one book I found helpful for GMAT prep is "How Not To Be Wrong" by Jordan Ellenberg. It talks about applying mathematical and logical thinking to everyday situations. I believe it can help with RC, CR, and even Quant topics. If you need further convincing, it is one of Bill Gate's recommended books.

My two cents are that reading is an inherently enjoyable task but most people do not read in a way conducive to cultivating the habit. Don't be afraid to abandon a book or article after even reading the first paragraph if it doesn't spark your interest. I have dozens of books on my bookshelf where I didn't even read past the first ten pages. Just read what you find interesting - the rest will follow.

My background is not very interesting - born in Canada and went to international schools in Asia, before returning to Canada for university.

Best of luck in your prep.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Send PM
skatensurf wrote:

I definitely did not read for GMAT prep in mind. I just thoroughly enjoy reading different types of books (mostly non-fiction) - it's a habit I picked up rather early on. I also read the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and Scientific American every day. I would emphasize quality over quantity in terms of reading materials. I write a blog every week to go over some of the more interesting articles I read to dissect the authors' arguments (again, not for GMAT prep, I just enjoy reading and writing :) ).

But one book I found helpful for GMAT prep is "How Not To Be Wrong" by Jordan Ellenberg. It talks about applying mathematical and logical thinking to everyday situations. I believe it can help with RC, CR, and even Quant topics. If you need further convincing, it is one of Bill Gate's recommended books.

My two cents are that reading is an inherently enjoyable task but most people do not read in a way conducive to cultivating the habit. Don't be afraid to abandon a book or article after even reading the first paragraph if it doesn't spark your interest. I have dozens of books on my bookshelf where I didn't even read past the first ten pages. Just read what you find interesting - the rest will follow.

My background is not very interesting - born in Canada and went to international schools in Asia, before returning to Canada for university.

Thank you for sharing the details. Nice to know more about your reading habits. Generally, I have seen that people who have very good reading habits find the GMAT verbal easy to crack with fewer efforts. Thanks for your suggestions!

All the best to you as well!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sorry perhaps a silly question - are you headed to the same MBA program you received acceptance at? No changes to your plans?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
skatensurf wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:

Wishing you all the best for your MBA program. You aid you were already admitted before giving the GMAT. It means your profile is very good and the admissions office only needed your high GMAT score to confirm your good profile. It would also help us understand your score better if you could share a little bit more about your educational background and how much of an avid reader have you been from childhood because a V47 is a fantastic score (especially with so little prep).

Congrats on your good success.

Please are there any section of FT/WSJ to focus on?

Thanks and kind regards
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Sorry perhaps a silly question - are you headed to the same MBA program you received acceptance at? No changes to your plans?

Coincidently I also had the same question but I did not ask ;) ....Thanks for asking!

It would be nice if you could share the name of the school as well!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Otunoye wrote:
skatensurf wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:

Congrats on your good success.

Please are there any section of FT/WSJ to focus on?

Thanks and kind regards

Whatever you find interesting! I personally like the Company and Markets section. But would highly encourage you to find whatever publication / topics you find interesting.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Your story feels so authentic. I wish I could be in the league of 780 scorers. Wish you all the best in your MBA journey. Which school are you accepted in? Is it with scholarship?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
chondro48 wrote:
Your story feels so authentic. I wish I could be in the league of 780 scorers. Wish you all the best in your MBA journey. Which school are you accepted in? Is it with scholarship?

Hi, thank you. I am not comfortable divulging the school but it is top 5 worldwide, and no I did not get a scholarship.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts