Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Getting MBA at UG school [#permalink]
I am going to W. for MBA, and went to W. undergrad. I think the coursework is a bit repetitive, but you don'tget an MBA for the coursework...Also, schools love their own - on average, 50 kids from Penn enroll at Wharton in a given year. Of those 50, a good 25-30 probably went to Wharton undergrad. Most of the ppl I met at WWW were in the same situation I was: didn't get into HBS, and didn't want to go outside H/W (surprisingly, mmany hadn't applied to S. b/c of geography).

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend going to the same school UNLESS that's the best school you got into.

My $0.02
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
there is something to be said about "expanding your network" and going to different schools, *but* I wouldn't recommend that you completely discount your undergrad business school for your MBA just because you've "been there" already or wanted something different. Like others said, the education is very different (UG usually focuses on lectures like other UG classes, and Grad usually focuses on cases and experiential learning), the network is very different (not all UG business schools allow their UG alums to access the grad alum list), and your experience will be different (a lot more professional and social clubs than at the UG level and the responsibilities are much greater - i.e. larger fund raising amounts, working with bigger companies at higher levels, etc...)

based on your login name, can I assume that you went to Haas for undergrad? If so, I can definitely refer you to a few Haas undergrad people who either are now Haas MBA students or just made the decision (over Kellogg, no less) to go back to Haas for b-school.

In the end, you should go to the school that fits you the best in terms of career placement/advancement, where you want to work later on, the alum network (grad alum, not UG alum), and where you feel most "at home".

And no, I don't think recruiters will frown much on going to the same school for UG and MBA, especially if the MBA comes from a top 15 school.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
there are plenty of double-dukies at duke. the classes and professors are completely different b/t grad and ug. i think the only worry would be if you get geographically pigeon-holed. recruiters might think you're not cut out for the northeast if you've only lived in the bay area or in the south.

this will only apply to you if you've lived in only one area and want to work in another.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
i know a bunch of uchicago undergrads matriculating at the gsb this fall. like elhajoui said, recruiters aren't going to fault you if you go to the best bschool you get into.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I guess it's just my experience with ug that if I went to the same school it would be a huge disservice to my future career. I'm sure you can all guess where I went. :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
While, I dont think it will be held against you if you go to a top 10 school for both UG and MBA...like many things it is helpful to diversify. If the best school you get into happens to be where you did your UG then dont even debate attending it. However, all things equal it might be a very slight advantage to go to another school. That would give you a two separate networks to call upon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
While, I dont think it will be held against you if you go to a top 10 school for both UG and MBA...like many things it is helpful to diversify. If the best school you get into happens to be where you did your UG then dont even debate attending it. However, all things equal it might be a very slight advantage to go to another school. That would give you a two separate networks to call upon.

Agreed about getting separate networks as a major reason. In addition, there is something to be said about academic diversity and getting new life experiences at a different school out of your comfort zone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
What if I went to undergrad that has a top ranked bschool (but I wasn't business major) then go to an lesser ranked MBA?

Bascially Berkeley undergrad, Cornell MBA. Would that be seen as a step down?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
What if I went to undergrad that has a top ranked bschool (but I wasn't business major) then go to an lesser ranked MBA?

Bascially Berkeley undergrad, Cornell MBA. Would that be seen as a step down?

who pays that much attention?

there are tons of ivy league and otherwise top notch ug alums at fuqua. they're all getting big mc and ib jobs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Some people view this as brand-dilutive...I personnally don't care but, having kept in touch with many of my classmates who went to Wharton UG, most of them are "H/S/W or bust". Now, a lot of them are also in FNCE and trying to get into PE, so that rationale makes sense.

In the grand scheme of things, and unless you want to get intp PE/VC right after graduation, it obviously doesn't matter at all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
in PE you definitely want the brand. Not sure if VC's (for MBA-entry level jobs) really care that much about the "brand" as VCs and Hedge Funds do. Many Haas students and some Anderson students get good internships and full time jobs at VCs, though probably not as many as Stanford.

Lots of Stanford grads at Anderson and Haas actually, while not business UG, they're all doing pretty good for themselves.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
As a recruiter for my company, I can tell you I would not care at all that someone went to business school in the same place they got their undergraduate degree. As long as it is a good school and you had good experiences there, I don't care at all. If anything, you could actually spin it as a positive by talking about how important loyalty is to you and once you find a good situation, why would you want to leave? Companies would actually value that.
GMAT Club Bot