Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [11]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [3]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Re: Given the amount of time and effort that curators, collectors, dealers [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Oh! Sorry to hear that

So much happened just of a little mistake :-o the answers were interchanged with another LSAT Passage probably, I edited them now. And how are you feeling now? Are you OK? ;)

desertEagle wrote:
Sajjad1994

The correct answers as given by LSAT are
1. D
2. E
3. A
4. A
5. B
6. B
7. B
8. D

kindly update them accordingly

I almost got heart attack after attempting this set. I got 7 out of 8 wrong(the only right answer that i suspected would be wrong was considered right but was actually wrong). Normally I get 1-2 wrong per passage. So I had to go find the answers of the web. Thank god that i found the right answers. Even though i got 3 wrong, i was very relieved to see that. I did not bring myself to study the whole day yesterday cause i got 7 wrong.

Hope this wont happen in future.

Yeah.. i am feeling fine now... lolz..

but it really brought down my confidence level. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: Given the amount of time and effort that curators, collectors, dealers [#permalink]
Kudos
14 min
got 7/8 correct
In the first question i was confused b/w D and E.(chose D)
can anyone help me understand how to eliminate E
Sajjad1994
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Danush649 wrote:
14 min
got 7/8 correct
In the first question i was confused b/w D and E.(chose D)
can anyone help me understand how to eliminate E
Sajjad1994

While (E) is supported by the passage, it is a premise that the author sets out in support of the main point. Hence incorrect. On the other hand (D) accurately matches the Bottom Line that fine perfume should be viewed as art and treated with similar respect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
for the question
3. The word “noses” (line 29) refers to

(A) perfumers
(B) perfume collectors
(C) particular perfumes
(D) people with expertise in marketing perfumes
(E) people with expertise in pricing perfumes

I chose C because the reference was specifically to "talented 'noses'" as opposed to "all noses." Since talented parfumers are "particular" perfumers, C made more sense to me than A, which was the correct answer. Can someone please share his or her opinion why Perfumers is more appropriate despite the "talented" reference?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sonohan wrote:
for the question

(A) perfumers
(B) perfume collectors
(C) particular perfumes
(D) people with expertise in marketing perfumes
(E) people with expertise in pricing perfumes

I chose C because the reference was specifically to "talented 'noses'" as opposed to "all noses." Since talented parfumers are "particular" perfumers, C made more sense to me than A, which was the correct answer. Can someone please share his or her opinion why Perfumers is more appropriate despite the "talented" reference?

Explanation

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

The correct answer will be the statement that is best supported by evidence within the passage text. The passage says that the “noses” experiment with olfactory elements and produce sensations, so the correct answer should reflect that they are involved in the design and production of perfume.

A. Yes. Perfumers are involved in the design and production of perfume.

B. No. Collectors would not be producing sensations.

C. No. Perfumes would not be experimenting.

D. No. Marketing people would not be involved in experimenting with smells.

E. No. Pricing people would not be involved in experimenting with smells.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Please explain how to eliminate options for Q-4&5
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gayatrijuneja011 wrote:

Explanation

4. The passage provides the most support for which one of the following statements about art?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The correct answer will be the statement about art that is best supported by evidence within the passage text.

A. Yes. At the end of the second paragraph, the author argues that a brilliant perfumer, like other artists, can call upon memories.

B. No. This answer choice is extreme. It is not supported that this combination can be detected in any work of art.

C. No. This answer choice is extreme. The author does not argue that aiming for commercial success inevitably results in failure.

D. No. This answer choice is extreme. The author discusses that the Old Masters used oil paints that causes changes in appearance over time, but there is no argument that they are the best.

E. No. The author does not argue the relative superiority of forms of art, only that perfume should be considered an art.

Answer: A
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gayatrijuneja011 wrote:

Explanation

5. The author would be most likely to hold which one of the following opinions about Joy Parfum by Henri Alméras?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The correct answer will be the statement about Joy Parfum that is best supported by the evidence within the passage text.

A. No. There is no mention of increased appreciation of Joy Parfum, only a comment that colleagues do not eagerly seek it out.

B. Yes. The author describes it as a masterpiece in the first paragraph and spends the next two paragraphs detailing how perfume parallels other art.

C. No. This answer choice is extreme. While the author calls Joy Parfum a masterpiece, there is no support for the idea that it was the foremost accomplishment of its time.

D. No. There is no discussion of who appreciates it.

E. No. There is no discussion of how it compares to other perfumes of its era.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Please share explanation of 6 and 7
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SejalT wrote:

Explanation

6. Which one of the following is most analogous to what the author calls the “cynical bean counters” (line 47)?

Difficulty Level: 650-700

Explanation

The question is asking for analogous behavior to that of the“cynical bean counters.” In the fourth paragraph, the author argues that the bean counters tamper with old formulas in order to reduce costs and presume customers won’t notice the difference, so the correct answer should involve a reduction of costs without regard for quality.

A. No. This does not involve saving money.

B. Yes. This involves saving money without regard for how it will affect quality.

C. No. While this answer choice may be tempting due to the budget reduction, the second half of it does not match with the situation in the passage as there is no anticipation of declining revenue as a motivation for cost-cutting measures.

D. No. This does not involve curtailing costs.

E. No. While this answer choice may be tempting because it mentions slashing a budget, there is no favoritism of one project over another in the passage.

GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SejalT wrote:

Explanation

7. The last paragraph most strongly supports which one of the following statements?

Difficulty Level: 650-700

Explanation

The correct answer will be the statement that is best supported by the evidence within the passage text.

A. No. There is no discussion of consumer knowledge of perfume names.

B. Yes. The last paragraph discusses that corporations are substituting cheap chemical compounds that only approximate rarer, better ingredients in order to increase profits.

C. No. There is no discussion of what consumers want.

D. No. This answer is extreme. There is no support for the claim that perfume makers of the past would never tamperwith a formula.

E. No. There is no discussion of which perfumes result in the highest profits.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Can someone help in question 1 C vs D?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

hmandhan wrote:
Can someone help in question 1 C vs D?

C is incorrect because the author’s discussion of the declining quality of perfume is limited to the last paragraph of the passage. While D accurately matches the Bottom Line that fine perfume should be viewed as art and treated with similar respect.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
can anyone provide explanation for question 2?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

SUKUMAR490 wrote:
can anyone provide explanation for question 2?

Explanation

2. In which one of the following circumstances would the author of the passage be most likely to believe that a perfume manufacturer is justified in altering the formula of a classic perfume?

Explanation

­The question is asking for a situation that would be compatible with the author’s views about changing perfume formulations. In the last paragraph, the author criticizes modern companies for altering classic formulas by substituting cheap chemical compounds, so the correct answer will respect the original formulas.

A. No. While the author thinks that Joy Parfum is a masterpiece, he does not indicate that other perfumes should smells just like it.

B. No. This is what the author criticizes in the fourth paragraph.

C. No. While tempting, the author does not argue that natural chemical compounds are better than synthetic ones, he merely criticizes substitutions of chemical compounds (which could be natural or synthetic) for rarer, better ingredients.

D. No. The author does not discuss popularity.

E. Yes. The author criticizes changing perfumes from their original formulas so he or she would support undoing those changes.

Answer: E
­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Can someone provide explanation of 1st question? Why are b and e wrong

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Nidhibatra wrote:
Can someone provide explanation of 1st question? Why are b and e wrong

Posted from my mobile device

­        Hey!
        Though the sentences are true but they only speak of a particular paragraph or context out of the whole RC. It does not give you the whole gist.
         While for the option D, it is the reason to write this RC. The author wants to potray this message only through this 55 lines of RC. 
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts