Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Audio Book [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The only other thought/idea is to have a recording of Idioms or words if you are not a native speaker (and guess them before the answer comes) or possibly formulas or things such as how much is \(\frac{1}{12}\), but other than that it will be tough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
You probably do not need this now, however, someone else might benefit from it.

Go to amazon and search for "Beating the GMAT 2010: An Audio Guide to Getting the Score You Need".

It is a good basic introduction.

Can't beat the price - free with audible trial sub.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
If you are not averse to voice synthesized speech, you may quickly edit the free notes people have posted out there, questions you find important, etc and make an audio-book yourself.

Especially if you make one with your own errors, rules you need to memorize, even formulas (rewritten as text) it may be of tremendous help.
It may not turn out to be one of the longest and most intriguing books you have ever read, may not make your commute pleasant (especially if you listen to the same stuff 10s of times), but will surely etch some concepts permanently in your mind.
It helped me a lot when I was studying for both my financial designations, despite the quant nature of much of the topics.

In short:

(1) Have a place (folder, file) to clip text to that you will be synthesizing (or even reading out loud if you have the time to waste and the material is short); start small - when you make your first 15 audio files by 4 mins -> put them on your player. You may want to make 400 audio files initially, but be modest, start small =)

(2) If you are not averse to Microsoft Sam - you have it for free in windows; If you want a better voice and are willing to pay - you may purchase the Neospeech Paul voice;

(3) You will need an efficient software (besides the voice). I really like Balabolka (free and downloadable from sites such as download.com) which is very versatile - I use it to split a big txt file into 3KB segments and then convert these to mp3 - the software does it automatically for you.

Well, you know one of my greatest secrets now =)

P.S.: On a side note - If you are not keen on doing the above, and do not have the time to read GMAT Fiction, you may go over to project Gutenberg and get some free classics, read by volunteers (or again - synthesized...)

P.S. I may actually start a thread on the issue, it will be my first one =)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Im still looking for audio books to prepare for the GMAT.... any luck ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cla,

While it's understandable that an audio book might seem worthwhile for certain situations (on a long commute, for example), it's not likely that an audio book would make a big difference in your overall improvement. Training for the GMAT (and ultimately taking the Test) requires a lot of physical tasks from you - active reading, taking notes, practicing Tactics, doing work on the pad, etc. However, NONE of these tasks are involved when you're simply listening to an audio book. This is all meant to say that your ultimate goals (scoring at a high level and getting into Business School) are going to be based on the primary study resources that you use and the efforts that you physically put into the process.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What resources have you used?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot