GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT CLUB TESTS DILEMMA SUPERFICIALLY HARD

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 2.84
Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT CLUB TESTS DILEMMA SUPERFICIALLY HARD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 07:36
When Bunnel writes the explanations he writes it neat and smart and just to the point to serve the purpose not more not less this is called being smart but I don't understand why he is not smart in writing the GMAT club tests.

I think the tests are made superficially hard and it does not serve the purpose of preparing the GMAT. In developing mathematical taste and engaging mind mathematically, yes they could be one of the best, but they are are no way near to be smart enough to save the test taker from unnecessary agony. Most of the test takers think that by doing most difficult questions they will get to solve the relatively easy question on GMAT but I think this approach is over arduous and GMAT club tests just make those guys happy by superficially making questions hard. It digresses from the main path of GMAT style and pattern, these tests would have been better if they had used the baseline as GMAT official sources.

If the tests are made more comparable to the real thing then In doing that not only it would be used by the majority of GMAT test taker who are there to crack the test not to test their ability that how they perform in Mathematics.

I think tests should be smart like bunnel explanations not rigorous like some rough solution book of some rocket scientist.

Regards
Ali

If you like this post, be kind and help me with Kudos!

Cheers!

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT CLUB TESTS DILEMMA SUPERFICIALLY HARD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 11:52
Thanks for the post. I am sorry you are feeling this way. The tests are designed for those looking to break the Q50 ceiling and are punitive to those who may be looking for a Q45 and are at a Q40 level. The tests were designed to fill a gap in the Hard and Extra Hard Quant categories and put one to the test in areas that are covered on the GMAT but not often explored such as behavior fractions. It is a pretty basic concept that we all know but becomes a fascinating subject once you add powers to it, and suddenly 1/8 is smaller than 1/2 but then add negative to a fraction and it flips everything upside down. This is not something you will see on an average question and average is something we did NOT want to be.

We are probably a bit old-school and hardcore in our approach - when we created the tests, as test-takers, we felt character was forged rather than nurtured (there are times for both but we were not good at nurturing side of things). We focused on forging, believing that an ounce of sweat saves a gallon of blood. Thus when you go to face the beast itself, you will be adequately armed and prepared with scars and training that will serve you well. And while there is a lot to say about how success motivates and fuels one's desire to persevere, GMAT Club tests have that as well, they just don't give you second chances, but one feels a lot more rewarded conquering a tough enemy rather than a pushover.

The tests do have a pre-requisite of certain level of skills and knowledge. You are welcome to contact support put the subscription on hold and come back to them once you get stronger footing, or even get a refund. Generations of moderators stand behind the GMAT Club tests and we definitely won't be offended if it is not your cup of tea - we respect that.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 2.84
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT CLUB TESTS DILEMMA SUPERFICIALLY HARD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 19:19
bb wrote:
Thanks for the post. I am sorry you are feeling this way. The tests are designed for those looking to break the Q50 ceiling and are punitive to those who may be looking for a Q45 and are at a Q40 level. The tests were designed to fill a gap in the Hard and Extra Hard Quant categories and put one to the test in areas that are covered on the GMAT but not often explored such as behavior fractions. It is a pretty basic concept that we all know but becomes a fascinating subject once you add powers to it, and suddenly 1/8 is smaller than 1/2 but then add negative to a fraction and it flips everything upside down. This is not something you will see on an average question and average is something we did NOT want to be.

We are probably a bit old-school and hardcore in our approach - when we created the tests, as test-takers, we felt character was forged rather than nurtured (there are times for both but we were not good at nurturing side of things). We focused on forging, believing that an ounce of sweat saves a gallon of blood. Thus when you go to face the beast itself, you will be adequately armed and prepared with scars and training that will serve you well. And while there is a lot to say about how success motivates and fuels one's desire to persevere, GMAT Club tests have that as well, they just don't give you second chances, but one feels a lot more rewarded conquering a tough enemy rather than a pushover.

The tests do have a pre-requisite of certain level of skills and knowledge. You are welcome to contact support put the subscription on hold and come back to them once you get stronger footing, or even get a refund. Generations of moderators stand behind the GMAT Club tests and we definitely won't be offended if it is not your cup of tea - we respect that.

Thanks, BB for morally supporting me. "we created the tests, as test-takers, we felt the character was forged rather than nurtured "

I think here time is paramount and in such a limited time that that test takers have before applying to the schools the character could not be forged. The character is forged in Peace not war and test takers are in a state of war they only need to win by playing smart, not hard. The preparation of GMAT is part of war not peacetime practice. I have gone through explanations of questions and explored the profile of each test taker who has commented on that question 90% has actually not scored well in quant in actual test.

Furthermore, the stat's in quant show time used for answering correctly 10 min!!!. These tests are hurting test takers then helping them. I think you must make two categories covering barrier 50-51 in that u must include all these already existing tests and the second category of 40-49. I think you will attract more test takers by doing so.No only will you attract more test takers but you will actually help them cracking the test smartly.

Research shows all successful MBAs have actually scored pretty moderately on the test. The test is no measure of one's life abilities.It's just a hurdle which must be crossed with as much ease as possible. MOD team has all the abilities to make that happen i think its time for paradigm shift for GMAT club test. MOD team have gone through ages of questions and experience its time to use it to help test takers in cracking time and by the trading of TIME.
Attachments

1.png
1.png [ 82.46 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

If you like this post, be kind and help me with Kudos!

Cheers!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT CLUB TESTS DILEMMA SUPERFICIALLY HARD &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 19:19

GMAT CLUB TESTS DILEMMA SUPERFICIALLY HARD

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap