It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:25

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 18

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
I just got back from retaking the GMAT and I am disappointed. Previously, I had a 640 (Q44, V44). Today, I got a a 630 (Q47, V29, IR7). Really, all I care about is getting a Q49. That's where 100% of my prep has been. I am trying to apply to a computer science program and all they want is a quant score in the 80th percentile, but they'll accept Q49, maybe even a Q48. I have been studying for six months and I am upset that I am not closer. I am happy I've improved, but still this is not comparable with how hard I have been working.

I have used Kaplan, GMAT Club and Math Revolution. My first attempt was about five weeks ago and I just used Kaplan and GMAT Club. However, I probably used GMAT Club too late in the game for the first try. It is the hardest set of questions. It's really the only question bank that I'd endorse. That said, the questions are often poorly written, but still really challenging on the quirks of DS. It's apparent some of these questions were written by non-native speakers. Kaplan is the weakest of the group. After taking a few practice exams, I realized how poorly Kaplan prepared me and so I added GMAT Club which is much better and harder. I have been religious about keeping an error log and determining my weak points. I do make a fair amount of stupid mistakes. Also, my issue is I take too much time.

The exam itself was tough. For whatever reason, I struggle in the first ten problems and especially the second problem. This happened to me last time, as well. They're not hard questions, but I get rattled on them and take too much time to answer a basic arithmetic mean problem. I know how to solve a problem like that quickly, so why is it so hard on test day? Timing was an issue, I used Math Revolution's tip for counting the variables and using that as the primary means to solve when you have less than 2 minutes per question left. I had to guess flat out on 2 questions using those rules and that's when all my time issues disappeared. The rest of the exam was smoother, I was still getting tough questions, but not as tough as before. I knew I did better than my first attempt, but I wasn't sure it was enough for a 49. I would have guessed I got a 48, but got a 47.

Right now, I am trying to figure out how to get better and how far away I am from a Q49. Any advice would be appreciated. I really need it right now. I'd even consider tutoring. To some extant, I feel like I have been giving it my all and this still isn't enough. I am 34, so a little older and with a brain that's more rigid than when I was 22. However, I feel like I can still do this, I just need some direction.

It's hard when you've been pretty successful in your career and that isn't enough to be accepted into a program. My whole life, I have been considered pretty smart, but not a great student.

I'd love to hear any feedback or ways to improve my problem solving. I make a lot of silly mistakes. If you've had luck improving on stupid mistakes, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Also, I appreciate any kudos.

Last edited by Plunkster82 on 14 Nov 2017, 13:23, edited 4 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 18

Math Revolution Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 518 [1], given: 58

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Hey Plunkster82, don't give up! At least you've realized that there are far better GMAT preparation options than the big companies can provide.

I've taken the GMAT 5 times total. I scored 47, 42, 44, and 46 on Quant before I finally cracked the ceiling and scored Q50. Persistence and determination are key.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 518 [1], given: 58

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 12:49
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hey Plunkster82, don't give up! At least you've realized that there are far better GMAT preparation options than the big companies can provide.

I've taken the GMAT 5 times total. I scored 47, 42, 44, and 46 on Quant before I finally cracked the ceiling and scored Q50. Persistence and determination are key.

mcelroytutoring

What suggestions would you have? I've taken it four times, total. I took it when I was 24 and did really well on verbal which got me into the master's program I wanted. Quant was a laggard then, as well. Generally, what's the difference between a 47 and 49?

How do your students improve normally? While I would gladly pay for a tutor, I am certain my wife wouldn't let me.

I'd love to hear any feedback or ways to improve my problem solving. I make a lot of silly mistakes. If you've had luck improving on stupid mistakes, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Also, I appreciate any kudos.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 16:28
Top Contributor
Plunkster82 wrote:
What suggestions would you have? I've taken it four times, total. I took it when I was 24 and did really well on verbal which got me into the master's program I wanted. Quant was a laggard then, as well. Generally, what's the difference between a 47 and 49?

How do your students improve normally? While I would gladly pay for a tutor, I am certain my wife wouldn't let me.

My students improve on average about 50-150 points, depending on their starting scores. The difference between a Q47 and a Q49 is often very minor, and is tied to your performance on the (critical) first 12 questions of the Quant section.

I would suggest that you buy yourself a copy of the GMAT OG 2017 and work through every single Quant question by topic. Work through 10-20 questions at a time, and check your answers immediately. If you got it wrong, then read the explanation in the book / on GMAT Club, then try the question again. Even if you remember the answer, then you still need to prove the answer on the page before moving on. Use this google spreadsheet of a modified GMAT Club document to help organize your studies: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =669794543

Also, if you could share your ESR--yes, you can order ESRs even for cancelled GMAT scores--then I would be able to give you more specific advice about what went wrong.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 58

GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7)   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 16:28

GMAT Debrief 630 (Q47, V29, IR7)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap