GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 01:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT diagnostic 440 to final 700+ possible in 4 months?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT diagnostic 440 to final 700+ possible in 4 months?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 11:02
Hi everyone. I have very recently started my GMAT prep, I took a diagnostic test at Princeton Review, with no preparation at all and could manage only a 440 (30Q, 17V) I will start my classes now and I aim to give my final GMAT around August Last week. Can I hope to get a 700+ in the next 4 months? Or is it too unrealistic?

Any tips and tricks or advice would help.

Background: Had appeared for CAT 8 yrs back (90 percentile) however am out of touch with quant and verbal now.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT diagnostic 440 to final 700+ possible in 4 months?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 12:17
Very much possible, but you must be focussed during the next few months leading to the test date. Please remember that most GMAT test takers take 3 months of dedicated preparation time to achieve a 700+ score. Please take practice tests at regular intervals to track your progress. All the best.
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 13:45
InspiredSoul wrote:
Hi everyone. I have very recently started my GMAT prep, I took a diagnostic test at Princeton Review, with no preparation at all and could manage only a 440 (30Q, 17V) I will start my classes now and I aim to give my final GMAT around August Last week. Can I hope to get a 700+ in the next 4 months? Or is it too unrealistic?

Background: Had appeared for CAT 8 yrs back (90 percentile) however am out of touch with quant and verbal now.

Hello InspiredSoul

Interesting nick ;)

First of all, Princeton Review is not at all relevant test to gauge your GMAT current standings.

Bad news that is easier than the real thing :) however, dont pay attention to that at the moment.

First thing you need to do is to take official mock exam from GMATPrep, or any from test makers.

That is true indication of your current status.

Good news is that you just recently started your prep.

For that time period that you have, you should only use official materials and Manhattan guides as supplement, or their online course if you decide that you are studying better with video presentations.

There are a lot of study plans online, so just google them if you need them as day to day guidance.

Of course you can create your own study plan, just by dividing days of available prep with your total final materials chosen, for instance number of questions per day, or number of pages per day that you need to do etc.

I can recommend you Magoosh GMAT study plans (free online), you can pick beginner 3 month plan for instance, or some version that focus more verbal or quant, depending on your "strengths and weakness".

You dont need to purchase their premium plan, just use official materials + Manhattan sources scheduled daily/weekly through out study plan as described there, but you may if you want.

Take first mock after month of prep, and then continue to take them twice a month until last month, where you should take them every week and be careful to take time for thorough review, this is how you learn and progress the most.

Okay, you mentioned starting some classes above, I suppose that means you will have a tutor, thats fine, still everything described stands, it is complementary.

To answer your final and main question, can you hope or is it unrealistic ? answer is: it is not impossible :idea:

Having said that, it is best to keep realistic approach all the time during prep and don't pressure yourself mentally, it takes time to build decent or competitive score.

Good luck and stay diligent and devoted :cool:
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 02:20
InspiredSoul wrote:

Hi InspiredSoul,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. 3-4 months is good enough to achieve your target score. It's a good thing you have taken a GMAT Mock once. You now know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I think you need to solidify you base and adopt a proper technique to answer the questions. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and TTP as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

If you are looking for a good course in verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice.

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Re: GMAT diagnostic 440 to final 700+ possible in 4 months?   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2019, 02:20

GMAT diagnostic 440 to final 700+ possible in 4 months?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: adkikani

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap