GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Jan 2020, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Texas
GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 17:55
5
2
I have not been able to find any posts about these GMAT keyboard shortcuts, so I figured I'd contribute.

On the official GMAT test and the official GMATPrep test, after selecting an answer on the Verbal or Quant section:

1. Press Alt N to go to the next question.
2. Press Alt Y to confirm your answer choice.

I found this to be a real time saver.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18863
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 18:03
1
Thank you!
P.S. Sorry for being Nosy. Did you really retake after 740?
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Texas
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 18:11
bb wrote:
Thank you!
P.S. Sorry for being Nosy. Did you really retake after 740?


Yes, my 740 score was over 5 years old, so I had to retake the test for PhD programs in Business Economics. I plan to focus on my Verbal score and take the test again this year. If you need any other tips, please let me know. Nice to meet you.

Chris
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Texas
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 18:17
cabelk wrote:
bb wrote:
Thank you!
P.S. Sorry for being Nosy. Did you really retake after 740?


Yes, my 740 score was over 5 years old, so I had to retake the test for PhD programs in Business Economics. I plan to focus on my Verbal score and take the test again this year. If you need any other tips, please let me know. Nice to meet you.

Chris



Ok, I just noticed that you are the founder of the website. Perhaps I should ask you for tips instead.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18863
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 18:30
1
Ha-Ha. Not sure. Once you get to that level it is really hard to give good tips, since diff elements impact diff people.
I found that reading helped me the most to improve my verbal. Good luck though. I know for MBA it is not worth getting a higher score once you got 760 but for the PhD maybe a diff story.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Texas
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 18:45
bb wrote:
Ha-Ha. Not sure. Once you get to that level it is really hard to give good tips, since diff elements impact diff people.
I found that reading helped me the most to improve my verbal. Good luck though. I know for MBA it is not worth getting a higher score once you got 760 but for the PhD maybe a diff story.


Why is it not worth getting a higher score than 760 for an MBA? Do admissions boards just lump applications with high scores together? What about a jump from 760 to 800?
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18863
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 19:11
cabelk wrote:
bb wrote:
Ha-Ha. Not sure. Once you get to that level it is really hard to give good tips, since diff elements impact diff people.
I found that reading helped me the most to improve my verbal. Good luck though. I know for MBA it is not worth getting a higher score once you got 760 but for the PhD maybe a diff story.


Why is it not worth getting a higher score than 760 for an MBA? Do admissions boards just lump applications with high scores together? What about a jump from 760 to 800?


760 is 99th percentile. The only 2 reasons some people go beyond 730 or 720 to 760 are: 1)Scholarship opportunity and 2)Teaching for a GMAT Prep company that may require 99th percentile.


The majority believes that the top 20 schools consider GMAT as a check-mark and usually 700 earns it.
It is possible to get into Harvard or stanford with 650.

Most believe that spending the time on the application package (essays, letters of recommendation, community service, interview prep, etc) has a greater benefit than going let's say from 750 to 780 or 800. The 800 is a great score and so far I don't think anyone officially had it (a few claimed but nobody would confirm it with me) but it is really hard to get and the value besides (wow) is not really there. I believe the stats is that 50 people per year do get 800

Here is an interesting discussion to that topic: stanford-rejects-perfect-scores-of-applicants-92372.html
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Texas
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 19:18
bb wrote:
cabelk wrote:
bb wrote:
Ha-Ha. Not sure. Once you get to that level it is really hard to give good tips, since diff elements impact diff people.
I found that reading helped me the most to improve my verbal. Good luck though. I know for MBA it is not worth getting a higher score once you got 760 but for the PhD maybe a diff story.


Why is it not worth getting a higher score than 760 for an MBA? Do admissions boards just lump applications with high scores together? What about a jump from 760 to 800?


760 is 99th percentile. The only 2 reasons some people go beyond 730 or 720 to 760 are: 1)Scholarship opportunity and 2)Teaching for a GMAT Prep company that may require 99th percentile.


The majority believes that the top 20 schools consider GMAT as a check-mark and usually 700 earns it.
It is possible to get into Harvard or stanford with 650.

Most believe that spending the time on the application package (essays, letters of recommendation, community service, interview prep, etc) has a greater benefit than going let's say from 750 to 780 or 800. The 800 is a great score and so far I don't think anyone officially had it (a few claimed but nobody would confirm it with me) but it is really hard to get and the value besides (wow) is not really there. I believe the stats is that 50 people per year do get 800

Here is an interesting discussion to that topic: stanford-rejects-perfect-scores-of-applicants-92372.html


That makes perfect sense. Getting an 800 on the GMAT is a personal goal for me. I run a tutoring business, and an 800 score would be a great qualification for marketing. I'll study up on the verbal, take the test, and let you know how I do.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Nov 2018
Posts: 21
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 10:08
cabelk wrote:
I have not been able to find any posts about these GMAT keyboard shortcuts, so I figured I'd contribute.

On the official GMAT test and the official GMATPrep test, after selecting an answer on the Verbal or Quant section:

1. Press Alt N to go to the next question.
2. Press Alt Y to confirm your answer choice.

I found this to be a real time saver.


Wow. This seems to be great trick to save time during exam.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2019, 10:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Keyboard Shortcut: ALT N, ALT Y

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne