It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Maths Book Question (Perfect Squares P.6)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

GMAT Maths Book Question (Perfect Squares P.6) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 03:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hii guys..
Greetings..
I'm currently using the GMAT club maths book to prepare for the GMAT and I had a question regarding perfect squares in P6 of the maths book..
I tried applying these rules to a perfect square (ex 144) and some of them didn't work.. Would you please illustrate using an example how these rules "always" hold as the book says..
Rules:
" A perfect square, is an integer that can be written as the square of some other integer. For example 16=4^2, is an
perfect square.

There are some tips about the perfect square:
• The number of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD.
• The sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD.
• A perfect square ALWAYS has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors.
• Perfect square always has even number of powers of prime factors. "

Ex. 144= (3^2)*(2^4)
Rules 2 and 4 don't apply here..

Thanks and have a great day!
Best Regards,
Reem

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133141 [0], given: 12415

Re: GMAT Maths Book Question (Perfect Squares P.6) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 04:00
reemel3bd wrote:
Hii guys..
Greetings..
I'm currently using the GMAT club maths book to prepare for the GMAT and I had a question regarding perfect squares in P6 of the maths book..
I tried applying these rules to a perfect square (ex 144) and some of them didn't work.. Would you please illustrate using an example how these rules "always" hold as the book says..
Rules:
" A perfect square, is an integer that can be written as the square of some other integer. For example 16=4^2, is an
perfect square.

• A perfect square ALWAYS has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors.

Ex. 144= (3^2)*(2^4)

Best Regards,
Reem

Why not???

144= (3^2)*(2^4), the powers of primes are even.

144 has 15 factors: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 9 | 12 | 16 | 18 | 24 | 36 | 48 | 72 | 144. The sum = 403 = odd.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 14:25
Bunuel wrote:
reemel3bd wrote:
Hii guys..
Greetings..
Rules:
perfect square.

Ex. 144= (3^2)*(2^4)

Best Regards,
Reem

Why not???

144 has 15 factors: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 9 | 12 | 16 | 18 | 24 | 36 | 48 | 72 | 144. The sum = 403 = odd.

Now I get it.. Thanks..
Is there a faster way to check if a number is a perfect square ??
If such question shows up on the exam, that would be very time-consuming to do..
Thank you..

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 20:44
reemel3bd wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
reemel3bd wrote:
Hii guys..
Greetings..
Rules:
perfect square.

Ex. 144= (3^2)*(2^4)

Best Regards,
Reem

Why not???

Now I get it.. Thanks..
Is there a faster way to check if a number is a perfect square ??
If such question shows up on the exam, that would be very time-consuming to do..
Thank you..

You should prime factorise a number a check the powers of its primes. It's not that hard to do.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: GMAT Maths Book Question (Perfect Squares P.6)   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 20:44

GMAT Maths Book Question (Perfect Squares P.6)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap