Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 20:27 It is currently 11 May 2024, 20:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [22]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73153 [2]
Given Kudos: 18946
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT online Debrief - 760 (Q50, V41) - 1.5 months prep [#permalink]
Congrats for the great score 760!
All the best for the applications.
Congratulations. Great job!! All the best for the next phase

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1258 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Congrats on your 99 percentile score! Thanks for the debrief.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Congratulations for the awesome score.
achieving 760 in 1.5 months is an awesome score to deal with
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2234 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Congrats MbaIndAspirant21 on 760!

All the best for the next phase!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
GMAT online Debrief - 760 (Q50, V41) - 1.5 months prep [#permalink]
nice review . congratulations!
I wonder how people get time to spare in any section .

Is everyone receiving results in 2 days? I read somewhere that results might take at max 7 days .Is it 7 days?
all the best for your all future applications .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1258 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Bookmarks
MbaIndAspirant21 wrote:
Finally got the GMAT done!

Phase-1: Analyse where I stand
I took the veritas prep free test (didn't want to waste official GMAT prep test) - received a 730. And as I thought, I was doing well in quant but really awful in verbal. I got a Q50 and V38. So now

Setting up my targets:
- Thanks to the details analysis of the score reports on gmatclub by bb, Souvik and many others, I knew that to score high I need to get all the first 10-15 questions correct and absolutely nail the RC section to perfection.
- Quant: get that additional 1 mark i.e. Q50 to Q51 to get those 10 extra points.
- Verbal: survive the SC and CR somehow (I did well in the RC section)
- Target Score: 770 (this score seemed reachable if I managed to get all my RC and almost all CR ans half of SC)

Setting up the resources:
- 2020 OGs + GMAT Official Advanced Questions
- Aristotle SC ebook for those 100 questions at the back
- Veritas 2 hour SC youtube video series + Veritas SkillBuilder SC PDF (has 75 questions)
- RC butler on gmatclub
- e-gmat free resources
- Manhattan SC and CR books - 6th edition

Phase-2: Pre-OG prep [10-12 days]
Since the quant section was not a problem, I decided to focus only on verbal for this phase. Completed the CR MGMAT guide and understood basics (but still wasn't really doing well in CR). Simultaneously, I worked on the RC by solving approximately 15-20 questions a day using the RC butler project on gmatclub (was doing decent here). Next I picked up the MGMAT SC guide and completed that (skipped the idioms chapter and also the advanced sections). This was followed by the veritas 2 hour youtube lectures and skillbuilder (This is the best thing I ever came across during my prep. It literally changed my whole SC approach, and again thanks to gmatclub, since I came to know about this after reading a debrief on the forum). After this I was consistently getting 55-85% of SC questions correct (earlier it used to be 40-50%). Next up, was the e-gmat free resources on SC and CR (e-gmat's pre-thinking is really good, I mean I knew about it - but never structured my thought process). This again improved my CR ability.
Took the e-gmat free test: 720 (Q50, V37)

Phase-3: OG prep [25 days]
This was the most crucial period for me. I broke down all OG questions in my error log (thanks to gmatclub again for introducing the concept - I didn't use any template and created my own according to my own needs - I suggest everyone to do this!).

Daily - about 20 PS, 20 DS, 11-17RC, 13CR, 15SC questions except on the day I take mocks. (and some questions from advanced OG - randomly, however I saw fit)
Weekly - every Saturday, I gave one test (total 3 tests: 2 official gmat prep and 1 MGMAT free test)

Quant i just reviewed only the questions I got wrong everyday (usually 2-4 in each section and mostly due to some silly error). I was doing RC really well and usually got 1-2 questions wrong and by the time close to D-Day i didn't get any wrong (so here's the trick: If you choose an answer, you must damn well be sure to prove it in the passage - this really helped, often I used to select something and then think oh wait, I can't prove this always from the passage - so select something else). I kept making errors here and there in the CR section (improved after the e-gmat youtube videos) but still I could feel that I was not able to do well here. I had greatly improved my SC ability due to my prep in phase-2. I realised that I get almost no question wrong in easy SC questions, only a very very few in medium, about 25-40% wrong in hard and about 50-55% wrong in very hard (thanks to gmatclub for providing the difficulty level for each OG question).

Test-1: MGMAT: 760 (Q51, V41) - really happy! (also since I read that it was supposed to more difficult than actual GMAT) - and indeed quant was tough - I almost ran out of time here

So now for SC I solved the 100 aristotle and 75 veritas skilllbuilder questions using all that I had learnt from Veritas video series, e-gmat free videos and MGMAT SC guide. got close to 85% correct.

Test-2: GMATPrep-1: 770 (Q51, V44) - yay! super excited (RC all correct and in both sections got first 19 questions correct - CR only 2 wrong, SC 5 wrong but all towards the end)

Kept working on questions daily and more importantly, review the SC and CR questions diligently each day (even the ones that I get correct)

(3 days before my actual test) Test-3: GMATPrep-1: 740 (Q50, V39) - :( bummer! - but I realised that in quant all i require is extreme focus to get that 1 mark and in verbal use the "meaning" based approach in the SC and CR sections properly.

For the last 3 days I had no official questions to do - I had exhausted everything (i had planned it like this). But importantly, all I did in those 3 days was review all my wrong (and marked for review) SC questions and all wrongly marked CR questions from previous days. Also the goldmine here was the Advanced OG questions - I reviewed all CR and SC from it. They were crucial to make me solidify meaning based tactics and also a few common idioms and other common things like: usage of "being", "like vs as", "considered", bold-face statement breakdown, etc.

D-Day - 1: Just relaxed and reviewed my concepts and reviewed about 50 marked questions. Did a sort of dress rehearsal for the next day, i.e. got ready by the time of test, calmed myself and then sat in the same place as I would tomorrow and just reviewed the material for 2.5 hours with focus (to make sure I have the required stamina for the test)

D-Day:
I repeated the entire process as I had done yesterday. Calmed myself down and then internet not working! Totally nerve wrecking as the software won't start but finally got a new router (thanks dad!) and started. Completed the check-in 10 mins late (it is smooth but still time consuming and made me a bit anxious). But finally, the test started, and I was really anxious and sweating - so just sat for 2 mins and composed myself before even answering the 1st question (one of the best decision I ever made, even though I lost about 3-4 mins in total, since I could focus very well after that). Finally blazed through the quant section with 8 mins to spare (I didn't answer the last question until the last minute though, since there is no break before verbal). I knew that I should have got most questions correct (except 2 DS - of which i was unsure and only questions where I faced considerable challenge and was constantly on the back of my mind, so used those extra spare minutes to cool myself and focus again). Verbal started - and initial 7-10 questions seemed difficult than usual and ate up a lot of time (since I had to get the initial ones correct!), but then the middle 10 questions seemed a bit easier (a bit of panic here, since I though that I messed up initial questions and that is why I am being served easy questions). Again calmed myself down and kept working on the remaining test and finally was onto the last question (with 2 mins on the clock). Got it done, completed the test and the survey post that.

D-day+1: Worried and anxious about the results. But kept consoling myself saying that "I know i did quant well, and should get atleast V38 so 740 not that bad, have faith"
D-day+2: Got my result 760 - Yay!!!!!! - Q51 V41 (well really happy but just missed by 1 mark - V42 meant 770 - but anyways I was really happy)

Ending Notes:
- veritas 2 hour video series for SC is essential
- use meaning based approach in all RC, CR and SC (it works!)
- for RC - try to make yourself interested in the passage and you'll automatically do good
- please please please use gmatclub discussion for each OG question that your review - its the best! since you get a lot of perspective

Hi,

Can you show us the link in which we can get "Veritas 2 hour SC youtube video series + Veritas SkillBuilder SC PDF (has 75 questions)"?

Thanks a bunch

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Nicely done. That's a really good score.

Good luck with your applications!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37409 posts