GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jul 2020, 11:47
GMAT ONLINE - EVERYTHING WE KNOW!
(this post is stickied at the top to provide a quick reference about GMAT Online)

• Online exam registration is $200 USD; there is no cost to reschedule even if you miss the test
  • Appointment dates are available beginning April 20, 2020, until June 15, 2020, July 17, 2020, Aug 14, 2020, Dec 31, 2020
  • Physical dry-erase white-board is allowed
Spoiler: :: Click to Expand full summary

• The GMAT™ Online exam can be taken on both Windows and Mac personal computers and laptops. Tablets are NOT allowed
  • The sections are as follows:
    31 Quantitative / 62 minutes
    36 Verbal / 65 minutes
    12 IR / 30 minutes
    *Please note that the Section Order for the GMAT ™ Online exam is fixed at this time as Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning
  • You will be allowed one, optional 5-minute break before you begin the Integrated Reasoning section.
  • Unlike the in-person exam at a testing center, the GMAT™ Online exam does not permit the use of a whiteboard during the exam. To assist you with the ability to take notes and/or draw shapes, there is an online whiteboard feature you can access during the exam. To learn more about Whiteboards, or Try one in action, see GMAT Club's Master Whiteboard Discussion
  • Tablets are also forbidden. Devices must have a physical keyboard
  • Touchscreens are a controversial item. Originally GMAC said touchscreens were forbidden. However, later they relaxed the requirements and are permitting use of touchscreens but not using touchscreens for the whiteboard
  • When you complete the exam, you will not receive a score immediately. Scores available in 7 days
  • Scores cannot be canceled
  • You can choose to send your scores to Schools (unlimited number) AFTER seeing the score instead of before taking the test (positive change)
  • Your online GMAT scores will NOT show up in the regular score reports and vice versa - New!
  • You can only take 1 GMAT Online test
  • Full details here: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/gmat-online-experience/about-the-gmat-online
  • You cannot get ESR report to analyze your performance https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-questions/gmat-online-exam#question27

Whiteboard Questions

GMAT Online Debriefs

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 23 Mar 2020, 11:37.
Last edited by bb on 22 Jul 2020, 11:47, edited 90 times in total.
Update
Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 05:23
zhanbo wrote:
Maxximus wrote:
Hello friends,

You can practice on the whiteboard here-

https://www.expertsglobal.com/whiteboard-on-gmat/

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global

Thanks! Just tried it and I am convinced that my quant score will be lower thanks to the online whiteboard.

For people who must take the online edition, practice makes perfect.

Extraordinary times, my friend.

Totally with you on the need for practice.

All the best!
Experts' Global
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 06:39
Thanks for posting and sharing your experience with the Online GMAT Cyjdong

I have created a new topic for it here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... 22052.html

Thanks!

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Bocconi '21

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 07:14
I will take the test next week, but I have doubts on the screen. I've a 15' laptot. Is it big enough to both read the questions and use the whiteboiard? I prefer to use a bigger monitor, but seems that you can't connect a second monitor, so i'm a bit confused on this
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 08:21
joerog wrote:
gmateurope2020 wrote:
Sorry to go on about this but I don't find any evidence that bluetooth connected keyboards or mouses would not be allowed on the FAQs. The system test is not flagging anything regarding bluetooth either. Could someone that has done the online test confirm? I am doing it tomorrow at 9am so will have an answer after then but will be in some trouble as my mousepad on the laptop is barely working and I only have access to a bluetooth mouse and not a wired one

I used a Bluetooth mouse and there were no issues. Wasn't even asked about it.

I didn't bother trying a keyboard (not sure why I would need a keyboard).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol: that’s awesome!

Thanks for reporting back. It is very odd GMAC made these statements about wireless keyboard/mice that really don’t make much sense.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 08:26
Also i just want to update regarding use of touchscreen laptops. There were prior comments that say we can use our finger to write on the touchscreen but it is clearly mentioned in the FAQ section of the GMAT Online exam in GMAC site that we should not use any aid to use the touchscreen.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 09:23
joerog wrote:
Cyjdong wrote:
Hi everyone,

I took the online exam the first day it was available. This was because, either a) I take my chance at the online GMAT, get a decent score (I hope), and meet the deadline. OR b) wait until next year with the flood of people.

I took my chances. I am not an instructor. I work full-time in a high-stress corp job, I don't consider myself smart.
So I studied on and off since January (around 3.5 months?), and I used scrap paper for my studies of course. (Scored around 680-730 for the OG practice exams, not sure how good of an indicator they are as I have never taken the exam before previous to this).
I practiced with the online whiteboard maybe for the 5 days prior to my exam day - but I had partially given up at this point.

Morning of the exam, I ran the test for my system, and was good to go.
I was able to launch the exam 30 mins before my start time to take pictures and send them to the proctor.
It was easy enough. My exam started shortly after.

Quant was a nightmare. The questions honestly weren't that hard but, with the online whiteboard, I would type some numbers out and forget what they meant.
Mind you - this is a high stress/pressure environment so I am already freaking out as is.
I wasted a whole chunk of time typing things out. It was a nightmare.
Ended up guessing a few because I ran out of time.

Verbal - The questions were A LOT harder than the practice exams. (I was getting 36-40 for verbal in all my CATS).
I genuinely think I got below 30. The RC component was especially hard.
Also, getting no break after quant and going straight into verbal take a toll, more than you would think.

During this 5 min break, I wanted to go to the washroom.
Flagged the proctor down, no reply.
She chatted me AFTER my break, during my IR session and when I said never mind, she would KEEP MESSAGING ME!
And then, not sure if it was a glitch, but the chat box would open up randomly throughout and disturb my calculation process!

All in all, I cried after the exam. It was a horrible experience.
I was mad that I had prepared hard, giving up the little free time I had after work.

Worst of all, now I am haunted by what my score will be every night because the score will apparently be emailed to me in 7 business days, not shown right away like at the centers. I would not wish this anxiety to anyone.

In conclusion, write it if you have to (e.g. to meet a deadline).
Or, write it as a score you will write off, practice exam (you can say) until the test centers open.
Other than those two, I would not recommend writing it. I would not wish this experience to anyone.

You and I had a very similar experience. The quant was very tough without a note pad. I have taken 5 OG practice exams (test like conditions, no cheating) and scored 760, 760 , 770, 760, 730. I can not agree with you more that the verbal section on this exam felt harder than every single one of those practice exams. For some of the RC I really felt like none of the answers were correct.

I will echo what you said: Take this only if you are willing to treat this as a practice exam. You might do great on test day, you never know. But do not treat this as your official test. The months of studying will pay off when test centers open.

can I just ask has the verbal section become tougher in general?? Even the new OG verbal questions on gmatclub seem WAY tougher.
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Apr 2020, 11:23
I cannot stop laughing, reading this post :angel: :angel:

Thanks bb, for some humor, amid all the chaos :)

bb wrote:
LOL. The tool GMAC released does not exactly match the test experience :?

It is a minor thing but the whiteboard is supposed to be white background.... it is a WHITEboard, not GRAYboard :-)

Originally posted by Maxximus on 23 Apr 2020, 11:19.
Last edited by Maxximus on 23 Apr 2020, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 11:22
Haha I have seen lots of worse sloppiness from GMAC these past few weeks that I didn't even notice this. But yeah good point

This is apparently an open source whiteboard out there that almost everyone has already embedded it into their websites. I think Manhattan did it in 1-2 days after its picture was first released. Now GMAC has finally done it after almost 3 weeks :/ This was their good news and surprise they've been talking about in Twitter for a week haha

bb wrote:
LOL. The tool GMAC released does not exactly match the test experience :?

It is a minor thing but the whiteboard is supposed to be white background.... it is a WHITEboard, not GRAYboard :-)

ZM308 wrote:
GMAC just released their online whiteboard practice tool:

https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/p ... b7c9d506b6

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 11:39
First Gmac sent a mail saying we can use our fingers to access the online white board. Now they are saying we cant. What is going on with them?

Board of Directors
D
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 12:08
Top Contributor
reonmathew wrote:
First Gmac sent a mail saying we can use our fingers to access the online white board. Now they are saying we cant. What is going on with them?

it is called Dystopia
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 12:13
Hi guys,

I understand there's a 16 day period between test retakes.

But is it possible to "sandwich" an online GMAT exam within this period?

E.g. May 30 for in-person exam, June 1 for online exam
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 15:08
Well, it seems the overall picture is more colorful and nicer finally.

I guess that at some point you could merge both scores if you want, no?
If both types of exams are considered for balancing the grades would make sense.

Anyway, I believe that if this goes more or less well, it may have come to stay, from a ROI point of view, is more profitable the Online exam, at the same time is perfectly scalable and adds flexibility to the operations.

We will see.

Regards,
Pablo
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2020, 15:26
Well, here is another huge sloppiness about the online GMAT:

There is this requirement of not logging in from China, Iran, Sudan, and a few other countries due to "LOCAL data privacy issues", so I managed to travel to Armenia (a neighboring country) by land yesterday and logged in from there, and it still says I am ineligible!!

As it turns out, the problem is not the "LOCAL privacy issues" at all, in contrast to what is stated on the website! As long as you identify your citizenship as Iranian(which was my case, and I am sure this happens to Chinese or other restricted countries' people) even if you are living right next door to the GMAC office, you are still ineligible. It's silly how they cannot manage to solve even the simplest issues. I wrote an email and this is the best "Just copy-and-paste" answer I got in my whole life :lol: :lol: they restate completely irrelevant facts!
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 46.7 KiB | Viewed 3922 times ]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 00:34
bb wrote:
Sorry about that.... I wonder if they think you are using a VPN? (Wonder if you could?)

I also know sometimes computers have cached location information.... what error do you get? Have you tried contacting gmat again?

The email seems to suggest you should be able to take it.... :(

sebo08 wrote:

There is this requirement of not logging in from China, Iran, Sudan, and a few other countries due to "LOCAL data privacy issues", so I managed to travel to Armenia (a neighboring country) by land yesterday and logged in from there, and it still says I am ineligible!!

As it turns out, the problem is not the "LOCAL privacy issues" at all, in contrast to what is stated on the website! As long as you identify your citizenship as Iranian(which was my case, and I am sure this happens to Chinese or other restricted countries' people) even if you are living right next door to the GMAC office, you are still ineligible. It's silly how they cannot manage to solve even the simplest issues. I wrote an email and this is the best "Just copy-and-paste" answer I got in my whole life :lol: :lol: they restate completely irrelevant facts!

I did not use a VPN since I am out of the country so no need for that. (I work in both countries so I had to travel there because of business anyways, not a GMAT thing) I tested my IP location and it was ok. I found out though when I falsely selected my citizenship as an "eligible" country (I tried Armenia, Austria and a couple of others) the system test responded quite well without any errors and I passed it successfully (although no point in that because a "human" proctor will notice my passport does not match my provided information ( I wonder if they notice anything after going through this thread!! :lol: :lol: )). The end result: when I selected Iran, it said I am not eligible. When I selected other countries it was ok. Conclusion: it is not a matter of "Local Privacy", but nationality. if it was local privacy, it should have tested my IP and whether I use a VPN or my location cache etc. and let me continue. Either way, here in Armenia the test center is open so I will go with the classic GMAT! Just wanted to share this info because almost a quarter of people in the world are not allowed to take the online version.
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 00:43
I don't think VPN is allowed...

upload image

bb wrote:
Sorry about that.... I wonder if they think you are using a VPN? (Wonder if you could?)

I also know sometimes computers have cached location information.... what error do you get? Have you tried contacting gmat again?

B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 01:17
bb wrote:

sebo08 wrote:

The error I get:
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 39.55 KiB | Viewed 3495 times ]

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 39.55 KiB | Viewed 3493 times ]

INSEAD School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 05:15
Hi all,

I was just in today's GMAC webinar for EMEA, some new information:

-The scores will be available in 7 business days after the exam day.

-They are working into adding the whiteboard into the official practice exams at mba.com, as for now, they recommend to use the one from whitecanvas (same that they have now posted in the site) in a separate window.

-Proctors are informed of audio disturbances and will communicate to you for them to stop, I believe they have a monitoring system that helps to help the proctors and indicates them when there is a noise, when your face leaves the range or it is obstructed, etc. The comments from the test-takers indicate that any minimal disturbance will make the proctors call you on it.

I'm amazed about the "unlimited" score sending option (actually I think the cost for them is negligible, but this is really cool if you plan to apply to multiple schools (saving a lot of money).

I assume they will be running different webinars in a different region (this one was for EMEA), check your emails just in case.

Regards,
Pablo
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 05:25
Are they even thinking of making any changes?
Like introducing erasable white boards?
Or is this finalised?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 05:49
So, what do you think they mean with "7 business days AFTER your exam day?" I did it on Monday 20, will I receive it on 29? I need it by next Monday, will there be an opportunity?
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 06:02
reonmathew wrote:
Are they even thinking of making any changes?
Like introducing erasable white boards?
Or is this finalised?

Again they made clear that it is not and won't be an option, they said that the digital whiteboard is the best option with the current situation.

giuseppe98 wrote:
So, what do you think they mean with "7 business days AFTER your exam day?" I did it on Monday 20, will I receive it on 29? I need it by next Monday, will there be an opportunity?

I assume so, usually business days count Monday-Friday. That could make sense with the different ETA of 14 days.

You tell us when you got them please!

Regards,
Pablo
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2020, 06:02

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  58   59   60   61   62  ...  114    Next  [ 2268 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep