Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [65]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6339 [11]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [6]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the selling season ho [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear Moderators/Experts,

Can you please shed some light on Q1 options C,D and E. I selected C, but I was unsure about it.

Please if you can explain why not choice D and E -

D. To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand
E. To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the selling season ho [#permalink]
Kudos
HI GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

Can somebody explain these two que

The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?
A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.

I've marked B

According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?
A. Reduced average lifetime of products
B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’

Why not A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Lucy Phuong wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

Can somebody explain these two que

The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?
B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.

I've marked B

According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?
E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’

Why not A

Hi,

I saw you asked this question about 20 days ago and there has been no response so far, so I just wanna share some thoughts. Hope this helps.

Q3: The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?

--> Look for key words "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" at the end of the passage, and read related sentences (especially the last 3 sentences). Now we understand that "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" is the second side effect of "frequent introductions of new products"

--> This option brings information in another part (the first side effect) then put it in a relation with the second side effect. Wrong! There is no such a relationship between these two effects. Also, the option also distorts the first side effect, because, as mentioned in the passage, the average lifetime of products "decreased", rather than "increased".

--> If there is a causal relationship here, it is "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" that led to "retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid.....", rather than came from (resulted from) retailer's attempts. Therefore, (B) is wrong.

--> It is true that "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" is a negative impact of "flexible manufacturing". However, it is nowhere is the passage we can conclude that this negative effect has decreased the use of this type of manufacturing. Another wrong choice.

--> Similar to (A), choice (D) just twisted the information by bringing information about the first side effect (expense of keeping inventory of certain products) to put in a relationship with the second side effect. Wrong!

--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

Q4: According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?

Well if you read the passage carefully enough in initial reading, you may quickly spot rightly the sentence mentioning the cause of of "growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year". It is quite at the middle of the passage ".....and since flexible manufacturing has enabled companies to 24 produce, cost-effectively, small quantities of goods. This type of manufacturing has greatly increased the number of new products introduced annually in the United States.". There you are, the correct answer is pretty clear now. But we still need to eliminate incorrect answer choices.

--> Wrong! This a problematic effect, rather than the cause, of frequent introduction of new products.

--> Wrong. It is mentioned in the passage that "manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty", but this inherent ability has nothing to do with frequency of new products' introduction.

--> Wrong. Similar to choice (A), "keeping inventory for products" is just mentioned as an impact, not the cause, of frequent introduction of new products.

--> Exactly!

E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’.
--> Wrong. First of all, "the ability to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’" is an inherent difficulty, and is totally not related to frequent introduction of new products.

Im sorry but I don't get it

--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

It is mentioned that they can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, but not that they actually do ???

Am I missing something ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
daviddaviddavid wrote:

Im sorry but I don't get it

It is mentioned that they can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, but not that they actually do ???

Am I missing something ?

Hi,

Here we have 2 tasks:
(1) predicting aggregate demand
(2) predicting divided demand

Do you see any relation between the ability to predict aggregate demand(1) and the ability to predict divided demand(2) ? NO! And the situation mentioned in the passage is that
- Company can do (1)
- Company cannot do (2)

=> Even though companies cannot do (2), they can do (1). In other words, the inability to do (2) cannot prevent the companies to do (1). That's what option (E) states.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [2]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Kudos