Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: NUS '18
GPA: 2.08
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Quant Preparation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
Please advice how should I go about quant from here on and can I practise Quant from CAT books?
I strongly suggest that you not "split" your preparation like this. Start your verbal, even if you feel that quant prep needs to be prioritized. As for using CAT material, I wouldn't recommend it. Anyone who is able to do extremely well on CAT quant should find GMAT quant a cakewalk. But this is a far less reliable and a far less efficient way to go about preparing for the GMAT. Is there any particular reason you want to do this (are you taking both exams), and is there a chance that you can study for both exams?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
Please advice how should I go about quant from here on and can I practise Quant from CAT books?
I strongly suggest that you not "split" your preparation like this. Start your verbal, even if you feel that quant prep needs to be prioritized. As for using CAT material, I wouldn't recommend it. Anyone who is able to do extremely well on CAT quant should find GMAT quant a cakewalk. But this is a far less reliable and a far less efficient way to go about preparing for the GMAT. Is there any particular reason you want to do this (are you taking both exams), and is there a chance that you can study for both exams?

Hi AjiteshArun thanks for your reply.

I am not planning to give both the exams but I did prepare for CAT 2 years back but I couldn't do well. And I have some notes which I prepared at that time. The reason why I was asking is because I am thinking that I am able to solve CAT questions than I should be able to do GMAT questions as well. But I just want to validate it from the GMAT experts.

I am totally confused, please help me like how should I go about it from here on.

Thanks!! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
I am not planning to give both the exams but I did prepare for CAT 2 years back but I couldn't do well. And I have some notes which I prepared at that time. The reason why I was asking is because I am thinking that I am able to solve CAT questions than I should be able to do GMAT questions as well. But I just want to validate it from the GMAT experts.
At a minimum, I think you should try taking a mock GMAT test to get an idea of where you are before you commit yourself to a (possibly) long stretch of overpreparation. This will also help you take a decision on how to prepare for verbal.

Think of it this way: would you start preparing for the JEE just to prepare for the CAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
At a minimum, I think you should try taking a mock GMAT test to get an idea of where you are before you commit yourself to a (possibly) long stretch of overpreparation. This will also help you take a decision on how to prepare for verbal.

Think of it this way: would you start preparing for the JEE just to prepare for the CAT?

Will give one mock test and shall get back with my scores.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
please help me like how should I go about it from here on.
You might want to get the OG2016. Go through the "math review" in the OG and then try some of the questions. Better yet, take the diagnostic test (you could also consider taking an adaptive test). The information you get from the test will provide you preliminary input for your study plan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
please help me like how should I go about it from here on.
You might want to get the OG2016. Go through the "math review" in the OG and then try some of the questions. Better yet, take the diagnostic test (you could also consider taking an adaptive test). The information you get from the test will provide you preliminary input for your study plan.

I did give OG diagnostic test and scored Average in PS and above average in DS. Also I almost finished OG Quant review and I was able to solve 65% questions within 2 mins.

There are few topics like Number Properties, Mixture problems, Rate & Time problems where I am not feeling comfortable/taking more than 2 mins to solve. That why I used my CAT notes to study these topics. And in number properties after finishing my theory from my CAT notes, I am able to solve 500-600 level questions but still not feeling confident. I want to pace my quant preparation so that I can switch to verbal immediately.

Will appreciate your inputs.

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
I did give OG diagnostic test and scored Average in PS and above average in DS. Also I almost finished OG Quant review and I was able to solve 65% questions within 2 mins.

There are few topics like Number Properties, Mixture problems, Rate & Time problems where I am not feeling comfortable/taking more than 2 mins to solve. That why I used my CAT notes to study these topics. And in number properties after finishing my theory from my CAT notes, I am able to solve 500-600 level questions but still not feeling confident. I want to pace my quant preparation so that I can switch to verbal immediately.
Above average in DS without any prior prep is very good (people usually find DS more difficult than PS). If you want a number, take a (free) GMATPrep (this doesn't have to be done immediately). Analyze your mistakes to get the number of questions you got wrong because of conceptual problems. After that it's going to come down to working on those weaknesses, and there is still no reason to go for anything other than GMAT questions.

What is your target score, and when do you plan to take the GMAT? Also, do you want to reconsider this "switch to verbal" strategy? It's generally not a good idea to prepare for one section at a time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:

Above average in DS without any prior prep is very good (people usually find DS more difficult than PS). If you want a number, take a (free) GMATPrep (this doesn't have to be done immediately). Analyze your mistakes to get the number of questions you got wrong because of conceptual problems. After that it's going to come down to working on those weaknesses, and there is still no reason to go for anything other than GMAT questions.

What is your target score, and when do you plan to take the GMAT? Also, do you want to reconsider this "switch to verbal" strategy? It's generally not a good idea to prepare for one section at a time.

I find PS more difficult than DS. I will revise all the topics again before I give the mock test. I am extremely bad in verbal and I think I will start working on Verbal as well along with Quant now.

I am looking forward to score 720+ and I am planning to give GMAT in the month on May. I want to give myself enough time to prepare for GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
I find PS more difficult than DS. I will revise all the topics again before I give the mock test. I am extremely bad in verbal and I think I will start working on Verbal as well along with Quant now.

I am looking forward to score 720+ and I am planning to give GMAT in the month on May. I want to give myself enough time to prepare for GMAT.
I think that's a good call, especially if you feel your verbal needs a lot of work.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:

Hi AjiteshArun

I have given one GMAT Club's Quant test and scored Q35 (56% accuracy) :( I am sharing the break up and my analysis as below:

Total Questions: 37
Total Correct: 21
Total incorrect: 16

Further breakup/reasons for the incorrect questions:
No of questions got wrong because of Silly mistakes: 6
No of questions got wrong because of wrong application of the concept: 3
No of questions got wrong because of lack of content knowledge or topic yet notstudied: 4
No of questions got wrong because they were too tough for me to solve: 3

I completed OG PS section and I was able to solve 70% of the questions correct in my first attempt. My biggest problem is that I am making lot of silly mistakes and I get very nervous when I sit for the test in timed condition and therefore I am not able to give my 100% to all the questions. Please help me in how should I go about my preparation from here on?

As its being already 2 months I am working on my quant, more than the difficulty of the questions I am making silly mistakes during the test. Shall I start Verbal now? Also I am a working professional and cannot devote more than 2 hours for studies, so how can I split my time if I want to take both the sections simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
I have given one GMAT Club's Quant test and scored Q35 (56% accuracy) :( I am sharing the break up and my analysis as below:

No of questions got wrong because of lack of content knowledge or topic yet notstudied: 4

I completed OG PS section and I was able to solve 70% of the questions correct in my first attempt. My biggest problem is that I am making lot of silly mistakes and I get very nervous when I sit for the test in timed condition and therefore I am not able to give my 100% to all the questions. Please help me in how should I go about my preparation from here on?

As its being already 2 months I am working on my quant, more than the difficulty of the questions I am making silly mistakes during the test. Shall I start Verbal now? Also I am a working professional and cannot devote more than 2 hours for studies, so how can I split my time if I want to take both the sections simultaneously?
As I said earlier, you should work on both your quant and verbal. It'll be very tough to get a 720+ without doing well in both sections (and you also pointed out earlier that you were concerned about verbal).

The way I see it, we need to get cracking on verbal, work through the remaining concepts in quant, and take a full length adaptive test soon (1 month, approximately). Try to fit plenty of timed practice in so that you can get used to solving questions under timed conditions. Don't delay the FLT too much. Take this first FLT even if you haven't finished everything in quant and/or verbal. If you're going ahead with May for your GMAT appointment, it'd be good to have an idea of where you are.

Do you mean 2 hours a day? Most test takers would find it difficult to put more time than that in every day, so you seem to be fine there for now (your practice test scores will help you take a better decision on how much to study). There is no need to worry about this though, as the GMAT appointment can be pushed back if necessary.

As you get closer to your exam, you'll want to take the GMATPrep practice tests to evaluate yourself. To get a 720, you'll need (for example) Q49/V39 or Q51/V35. These (scaled) scores are what you should be looking at. Looking at just the number of questions you got correct on a test is important, but it doesn't really help us get an idea of our scaled scores.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:

As I said earlier, you should work on both your quant and verbal. It'll be very tough to get a 720+ without doing well in both sections (and you also pointed out earlier that you were concerned about verbal).

The way I see it, we need to get cracking on verbal, work through the remaining concepts in quant, and take a full length adaptive test soon (1 month, approximately). Try to fit plenty of timed practice in so that you can get used to solving questions under timed conditions. Don't delay the FLT too much. Take this first FLT even if you haven't finished everything in quant and/or verbal. If you're going ahead with May for your GMAT appointment, it'd be good to have an idea of where you are.

Do you mean 2 hours a day? Most test takers would find it difficult to put more time than that in every day, so you seem to be fine there for now (your practice test scores will help you take a better decision on how much to study). There is no need to worry about this though, as the GMAT appointment can be pushed back if necessary.

As you get closer to your exam, you'll want to take the GMATPrep practice tests to evaluate yourself. To get a 720, you'll need (for example) Q49/V39 or Q51/V35. These (scaled) scores are what you should be looking at. Looking at just the number of questions you got correct on a test is important, but it doesn't really help us get an idea of our scaled scores.

Thanks for your response AjiteshArun

Would really appreciate if you can tell me how can I split my time to study Quant and verbal parallely? Would you suggest to do Quant and Verbal on alternate days. Like one day only Quant and one day only Verbal. Provided I can study for only 2 hours in a day?

Thanks in advance :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
Would really appreciate if you can tell me how can I split my time to study Quant and verbal parallely? Would you suggest to do Quant and Verbal on alternate days. Like one day only Quant and one day only Verbal. Provided I can study for only 2 hours in a day?
That sounds good. Just keep a couple of things in mind: (a) we don't need a perfect 1:1 between quant and verbal, and (b) you should try not to focus on only one section for more than a week. Some students also prefer to start with quant (let's say 1 hour) and then move on to verbal (another 1 hour) on the same day.

Also remember to make a timeline. Put a target date against all the material and tasks you need to work through. Check progress every week and update the timeline if necessary. PM me if you want to have a quick chat on the phone.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Quant Preparation [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
That sounds good. Just keep a couple of things in mind: (a) we don't need a perfect 1:1 between quant and verbal, and (b) you should try not to focus on only one section for more than a week. Some students also prefer to start with quant (let's say 1 hour) and then move on to verbal (another 1 hour) on the same day.

Also remember to make a timeline. Put a target date against all the material and tasks you need to work through. Check progress every week and update the timeline if necessary. PM me if you want to have a quick chat on the phone.

Super!!

Thanks so much for your help AjiteshArun :) Please check your inbox..
GMAT Club Bot
GMAT Quant Preparation [#permalink]