Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64968 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT re-attempt (Help with quants) [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, kop18. With the sort of accuracy you maintained through the OG 21, you should be in the 49-50 range in Quant. There could be a number of reasons you failed to perform to that standard on test day. You may have been more nervous and made a few careless errors you would not normally make, or it could be that you did not take enough timed practice exams to grow accustomed to the pacing required. What do you do, for instance, when you see a question on the screen that you cannot figure out? Stare at it for five minutes, only to guess? That guess should have come much faster if so, and those minutes add up.

My recommendations for moving forward include the following:

• Check out the Quant theory in the posts linked to in Bunuel's signature. If there are certain topics that are unclear, you want to put yourself in a position in which you feel you can take on any question with some confidence.
  • Purchase the extra official practice exams (3-6) if you have not already. They provide invaluable test-taking experience, and you should grow more used to a pacing strategy.
  • Practice official questions from sources other than the OG 21 and Quant Review. You can find them in the Practice Question Banks. Just untick the appropriate boxes under source, and you should be good to go.
  • If you still have trouble with timing, you might consider enrolling in an e-course or seeking out a tutor. (By the way, only a few of those mentions would have gone through. You may want to revise your post to tag KarishmaB, IanStewart, MartyTargetTestPrep, and BrentGMATPrepNow.)

Good luck.

- Andrew

Thank you for your input Andrew. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
kop18 wrote:
Hi all,

Just a little background on me - I have written the GMAT exam once before (in the last year). My actual exam total score was - 610 V35 ad Q40.
I am re-attempting the exam again in the end of the next month. I require help on QUANTS perp and all the info below is related to QUANTS only
I started my prep for this year's attempt by going back to the ESR and finding out the topics I scored the least accuracy in. I then went ahead and solved all the problem from OG21 guide on those weak area topics.
(FYI - Before I started solving the questions I wanted some revision on the weak concepts and I used the GMATNinja's Quants Playlist to go through all of those areas. Their sessions helped me a lot to get a quick recap.)

It took me about a month to complete all the quants questions from OG21 and some questions from QR21. Having completed all the questions (including the weak areas and otherwise) from OG 21 - I was wondering what would be the most appropriate thing to do next?

Since I have already given one attempt I would say I must have a subconscious familiarity with these OG questions as I have practiced them for my previous year's attempt.
I completed this whole book without any time constraint and got most of the questions right.
I am now confused whether I got those questions right because there was both familiarity in the question and the practice was not timed. I want to start time practiced this month but am not sure which is the best book or the best GMAT Club resource to use in the next step of my prep. I want to build some confidence in my prep by making sure I am using the right material while practicing problems that are not familiar to me.
I have great memory - and in most OG questions I almost instinctively remember the specific nuances of the question - This intuition eats into my confidence.

Please note - I used the OG 21 error log that is uploaded on the forum and not timed my practice - I basically spent as much time as I could on each question to make sure I got the answer right, hence I focused on accuracy first. See attached below my accuracy on the questions from OG 21.
This table shows the no of questions I got right from each level out of the total such questions.
Easy 217 228 95%
Medium 144 165 87%
Hard 52 67 78%
Very Hard 33 42 79%
Overall 446 56 89%

Can any expert weigh in and please help me with my quants prep? Bunuel bb GMATNinja
KarishmaB, IanStewart, MartyTargetTestPrep, and BrentGMATPrepNow

Thank you, AndrewN !

kop18 - Suggest you to take an official practice test - one you have never taken before - under timed conditions.
Your accuracy on Hard and Very Hard questions is about 80% so that is great but since it is untimed, I don't know how to evaluate it.
I agree with you that if you subconsciously "remember" the questions, you may struggle when facing a new question if you don't understand it very well, but on the flip side, you will likely match patterns of old questions to new questions very well. I am unable to gauge whether your concepts are strong or not.

I think before I make any comments on how to proceed, I would like to know your timed test results of 1 or 2 fresh official practice tests.

Thank you Karishma - will attempt to mock test to see where I am standing. I do have the time spent on each of the questions however it is not useful to evaluate anything as I was focusing on accuracy first so even if it meant spending a lot of time on one question I did it. Hence, even I was unsure on how to gauge my performance
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92970 posts