GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT reading Comprehension help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
GPA: 3.12
WE: Other (Other)
GMAT reading Comprehension help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 18:34
I am having problems with Reading comprehension. It’s too time consuming and I can get questions wrong as well.

What should be my time management strategy? Like 2-3 minutes in first quickly reading the passage and then attempting questions while reading passage according to the questions need? (Is this a good strategy?)

How should I prepare for it to get my answers correct in minimum time? What should be the ideal time?

Please share your experience and help.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: GMAT reading Comprehension help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 18:44
Should I skim at the start
Like read really quickly? How smart is it to just leave the last RC passage to get more time to solve other questions?

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg '21, Ross '21
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 19:02
I was struggling on reading comprehensions too, but now i am pretty much fine with them.

I'll suggest u to understand the content not in too much detail but structurally only.

Then i am sure once you know the flow of the passage , questions can easily be answered within less amount of time. [Therefore, devote the ideal time to reading the passage but this doesn't mean too much]

For a long passage I keep my reading time around: 3-4 mints
and for short passages I keep my reading time around: 2-3 mints

For accuracy on Questions, you will have to practice and learn.

You can also refer to a document called Gin's RC Notes which helped me when it got down to RCs.
Link to Gin's RC Notes:http://gmatclub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=9403

Finally,
You shall be given a long list of advices by experts, but RC is all about practice and building up your own strategy.

All the best :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 19:58
sahilbhatia21 wrote:
I was struggling on reading comprehensions too, but now i am pretty much fine with them.

I'll suggest u to understand the content not in too much detail but structurally only.

Then i am sure once you know the flow of the passage , questions can easily be answered within less amount of time. [Therefore, devote the ideal time to reading the passage but this doesn't mean too much]

For a long passage I keep my reading time around: 3-4 mints
and for short passages I keep my reading time around: 2-3 mints

For accuracy on Questions, you will have to practice and learn.

You can also refer to a document called Gin's RC Notes which helped me when it got down to RCs.
Link to Gin's RC Notes:http://gmatclub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=9403

Finally,
You shall be given a long list of advices by experts, but RC is all about practice and building up your own strategy.

All the best :thumbup:

Okay! So practice it is
Thank you sooo much

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 20:10
Hi UmairAftab,

In a different post, you listed a series of books that you had been studying with. Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided.

To effectively deal with Reading Comp, you have to 'actively read' each prompt AND take notes as you read. That does NOT mean that you have to 'read fast' and "skimming" is almost never beneficial - you will often end up having to reread the prompt repeatedly (since you probably did properly read through it the first time). This could significantly hurt your pacing - and you also mentioned having pacing issues - so you might need to invest in some new resources that can properly guide you through how to handle RC (as well as the other question types in the Verbal section).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 07:54
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi UmairAftab,

In a different post, you listed a series of books that you had been studying with. Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided.

To effectively deal with Reading Comp, you have to 'actively read' each prompt AND take notes as you read. That does NOT mean that you have to 'read fast' and "skimming" is almost never beneficial - you will often end up having to reread the prompt repeatedly (since you probably did properly read through it the first time). This could significantly hurt your pacing - and you also mentioned having pacing issues - so you might need to invest in some new resources that can properly guide you through how to handle RC (as well as the other question types in the Verbal section).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you for remembering my earlier problems and give advice accordingly. This is really helpful. Thank you!

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 18:10
Hi UmairAftab,

To improve in Reading Comprehension, you need to focus on understanding what you are reading. When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.

Regarding your timing strategy, on the GMAT, you can expect a total of four RC passages (although you do not know when you’ll see them). Reading Comprehension passages are either long (containing 4 questions) or short (containing 3 questions). You should spend roughly 2 to 3 minutes reading the short passages and 3 to 4 minutes on the long ones. Since you should have a rough idea of what you read after reading the passage, each question should take you roughly 30 seconds to a minute and a half to answer. Thus, look to spend a total of about 6 to 8 minutes on each RC section.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 20:37
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi UmairAftab,

To improve in Reading Comprehension, you need to focus on understanding what you are reading. When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.

Regarding your timing strategy, on the GMAT, you can expect a total of four RC passages (although you do not know when you’ll see them). Reading Comprehension passages are either long (containing 4 questions) or short (containing 3 questions). You should spend roughly 2 to 3 minutes reading the short passages and 3 to 4 minutes on the long ones. Since you should have a rough idea of what you read after reading the passage, each question should take you roughly 30 seconds to a minute and a half to answer. Thus, look to spend a total of about 6 to 8 minutes on each RC section.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Hey! Thank you for answering my question in such detail. This is quite helpful.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT reading Comprehension help   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2019, 20:37

GMAT reading Comprehension help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap