Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Retaking Strategy [#permalink]
Your Verbal is where you might want to focus your efforts. Getting the Quant to a Q48-Q49 level may be something to also do, but at a certain point it's going to be a steep hill for even a 1 Q increase (i.e. the Q49 to Q50 jump).

I enjoy tutoring Verbal and got a V48 on my last attempt. It's probably fair to say that there is a difference in what you need to focus on at different levels. A V24 probably means there are core fundamentals you still need to go over.

How is your logical trap recognition? If I said event B, follows event A, what is your immediate "test reaction"?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: GMAT Retaking Strategy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Soumyadeep,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. The good news is that you scored really well on quant, right? That said, I understand that you are not satisfied with your verbal score, so the question we need to ask is why you scored so high on your practice exams but lower on the real GMAT.

Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than V24. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

how to score a 700+ on the GMAT

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Soumyadeeppal wrote:
Below I am attaching my ESR so that you can have a look at it and suggest to me for future strategy.

5th percentile in SC Soumyadeep!

How did you prepare in your first attempt?

Also, success in your second attempt has a lot to do with not doing what you did in the first attempt. You might want to go thru this article on retaking strategy.
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Soumyadeeppal.

To lock in a top quant score, you have to get stronger in your weaker quant areas. It's a little tough for me to tell what they are, because you ran out of time at the end of the quant section, so you may have missed questions that you would otherwise have gotten correct, but you can figure out which they are by considering which types of quant questions you'd rather not see when you take the GMAT. In any case, for each type of quant question that you have not yet fully mastered, make sure you know all the concepts involved, and then practice answering questions of that type, untimed at first, until you have mastered answering questions of that type. Then move on to the next type and do the same thing.

Also, your verbal score indicates that you likely have to adjust how you have been preparing for verbal. For a complete rundown on how to increase your verbal score, you could read this post. How to Score High in GMAT Verbal
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
Hello Soumyadeep,

Your current GMAT score is shaky but you can surely achieve your target score. Keep your motivation high.

A score of 580 in the official GMAT test tells the entire story about how well prepared you are for the GMAT official test and how to change the gear now to meet the target score.

With my GMAT tutoring, guidance, and counseling experience, we have to accept the fact with a pinch of salt that diagnostic/ mock test scores are above then what one should expect in a real test. There is often dropping in the score. Some students have even experienced a drop of 100+ pointers. It is one of the realities, and your preparation should not sideline this fact.

You can schedule a Comprehensive counseling session for 30 mins with one of our experts:https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning especially on hard level questions while stably hitting middle-level questions.
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club: Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

The day regular mock tests show the consistent score of Q48+ with V37+, then it will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and therefore, will be able to learn time management.

Follow the same procedure for Verbal.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team

Hi Math Revolution,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will definitely keep that in mind whatever you have mentioned.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Soumyadeeppal.

To lock in a top quant score, you have to get stronger in your weaker quant areas. It's a little tough for me to tell what they are, because you ran out of time at the end of the quant section, so you may have missed questions that you would otherwise have gotten correct, but you can figure out which they are by considering which types of quant questions you'd rather not see when you take the GMAT. In any case, for each type of quant question that you have not yet fully mastered, make sure you know all the concepts involved, and then practice answering questions of that type, untimed at first, until you have mastered answering questions of that type. Then move on to the next type and do the same thing.

Also, your verbal score indicates that you likely have to adjust how you have been preparing for verbal. For a complete rundown on how to increase your verbal score, you could read this post. How to Score High in GMAT Verbal

Hi,
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. Since I have exhausted all the OG 2020, OG Verbal 20, OG 20 Advanced, OG 20 Quant, and Gmat prep questions for quant, so which extra question source will you recommend if I want to practice fresh questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Soumyadeeppal wrote:
Below I am attaching my ESR so that you can have a look at it and suggest to me for future strategy.

5th percentile in SC Soumyadeep!

How did you prepare in your first attempt?

Also, success in your second attempt has a lot to do with not doing what you did in the first attempt. You might want to go thru this article on retaking strategy.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I followed the intended meaning-based approach in SC during my prep phase. But during the real exam, I completely lost focus during verbal and my head was feeling so heavy that I couldn't even focus properly. What strategies will you recommend for verbal?

Thanks
Soumyadeep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Soumyadeep,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though - and the data in your ESR - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you Rich for replying back.
To answer your questions.

I used to study around 35 hours on an average every week.

I used the Gmat whiz platform for preparation and OG 20, OG Verbal and Quant 20, OG Advanced, and Gmat prep questions for practice. For mocks I gave the Gmat official mocks from 1-4, Gmat club mocks, 1 Manhattan, and 1 Veritas mock.

I used to take mock after every 4-5 days and I used to get around 50-51 in quant except in the beginning one or two and in Verbal I used to get around V 41 on average except a few at the beginning in which I got V 26 and V 37. But the real issue I feel that I didn't follow the same exam-like conditions during mocks. That's why in the exam, I completely lost focus during verbal. I couldn't even focus properly during verbal and I was feeling stressed.

Goals:
Since I come from a vast pool of male Indians with an Engineering background, I am targeting a score of 750.

Since I already have 2.5 years of experience, I am planning to apply for the fall '22 session. I am targeting US, European B-schools.

What strategies do you think I should adopt from now on? ( I am planning to give it again within the next 50-60 days).

In case you need to know anything else, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
Soumyadeep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Soumyadeep,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. The good news is that you scored really well on quant, right? That said, I understand that you are not satisfied with your verbal score, so the question we need to ask is why you scored so high on your practice exams but lower on the real GMAT.

Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than V24. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

Hi Scott,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will definitely keep that in mind whatever you have mentioned.
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Soumyadeeppal wrote:
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I followed the intended meaning-based approach in SC during my prep phase. But during the real exam, I completely lost focus during verbal and my head was feeling so heavy that I couldn't even focus properly. What strategies will you recommend for verbal?

Soumyadeeppal, there isn't really an intended meaning of a sentence in a SC question. There is only a meaning that the best version conveys, whatever that meaning is. So, the fact that you were using an "intended meaning" approach may help to explain your low SC score.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Soumyadeep,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Soumyadeeppal wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Soumyadeep,

Hi Scott,

Great! I'm here if you need me.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts