GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

GMAT STRATEGY HELP

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT STRATEGY HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 12:21
Hi guys

I need your help and advice to ace this f******g TEST.

My goal: 700+ (720 would be great)
Business School: Top 6 in Europe
GMAT date: first planned on 08/01/19.....rescheduled. Next is on 28/01.
Months studied: Studying seriously from october 2018 (3.5 months). Studying during internship, 3 hours at night per weekdays + 6/8 hours during weekends.

Material: OG 2018, done one time.
Manhattan prep: Advanced quant + Foundation of verbals + a quick read to manhattan RC and CR (to grab some extra strategy content).
GMAT CLUB questions
KAPLAN 800: a friend borrowed to me; done some tough exercises of algebra and word problem. Never done verbal from it yet.

I have made a great mistake during my preparation, not doing CATs since the beginning.

CAT HISTORY

CAT 1 - GMAT ECONOMIST - 24 Dec - 560 (Q41 V26)
CAT 2 - OFFICIAL GMAT PREP 1 - 5 Jan- 640 (Q47 V30)
CAT 3 - OFFICIAL PREP 2 - 13 Jan - 640 (Q41 V36) There I had problem with quant..4 questions asked about a picture but it didn't appear on my screen..guessed all..all wrong
CAT 4 - OFFICIAL GMAT PREP 3 - 17 Jan - 580 (Q40 V 30)

All CATs were in good conditions. No optional breaks, all at 9-10 in the morning. Except for the last one, I woke up at 5 am because I had to work later and I didn't want to do a simulation tired at night.
I scored a disappointing 580.

I feel more confident in quant than verbal obviously, but my score seems lower than 12 days ago, despite I have keep practicing during this days.

BIGGEST WEAKNESSES that i feel:
CR I have learnt the different question types and strategies, but when a difficult/long appear, I still feel confused and go overitme.
RC really depends on the passage. Sometimes I get the meaning even with difficult one, other time I do wrong.

PS and DS have identified some weak area like combinatorics or difficult distance problem, I try to skip them without losing time if they appear on the test.

I'll wait for your advices and strategies and listen to every opinion.
Thanks
An italian discouraged guy.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT STRATEGY HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 18:46
Hi giuseppebucalo,

The 'swings' in your CAT Scores over the last 3.5 weeks imply that you're inconsistent with your approaches (how you work, take notes, use Tactics, etc.). Since we don't have a definitive sense of your current 'ability level', I would have to assume that it's probably in the low-600s. Unfortunately, raising a low-600s score to the point that you could consistently score 720+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, your current Test Date is just 10 days away - so you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date. There would not be any inherent harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled, but you will almost certainly have to take it again later (so you can save some money and aggravation by rescheduling).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) Would you be able to continue studying into the next couple of months? Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 05:04
Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

I am planning to apply for 3rd round at LBS, HEC. ESSEC and IE, with deadline 27/02/19.

So I would have another 1 months aprox, plus some extra days.

In this period I will work and study at the same time.
I could study for 3 hours aprox every weekdays + weekends (up to 8 hours everyday).

Thank you for helping!!

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 11:03
Hi giuseppebucalo,

With a February 27th deadline, you have about 40 days of potential study time - but that might not be enough time for you to get to your Goal Score. Before we discuss how best to proceed with this next phase of your studies, I have a few additional questions about your plans:

1) What is the lowest GMAT Score that you would apply to each of these Schools with?
2) Are there later application deadlines that you consider for each of these Schools? Would you consider pushing back your application until Round 1 later this year?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 14:09
Hi giuseppebucalo,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, since you've been studying for 3.5 months and recently scored 580 (140 points from your score goal), you really need to look at HOW you have been preparing and make some changes. Furthermore, since your breakdown was a Q40/V30, it’s clear that you lack the GMAT quant and verbal fundamentals you need for a high score, right? Moving forward, you may need to follow a more linear and thorough study plan, so that you can individually learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic, starting with the foundations before moving to more advanced topics. I realize that you have already identified some of your strengths and weaknesses. However, since you scored 580 on your most recent exam, it’s likely that your weaknesses span much of GMAT quant and verbal. So, to achieve your score goal, you probably will have to take a rather comprehensive approach to your preparation moving forward. Otherwise, it's likely that you will not make the improvements you need.

If you find that you need additional resources, you should check out the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

Lastly, I don't think that you made any major mistakes by not taking practice exams. In fact, I’d say that you probably are taking practice exams before you are ready. Remember, GMAT practice tests serve two main purposes: to provide diagnostic information and to get you accustomed to the test-taking experience. In other words, by taking a practice test, you can get a sense of what types of GMAT questions you are comfortable answering, arrive at a reasonable estimation of how you would score on the GMAT at that point in time, and practice taking the GMAT and handling its various challenges, such as time pressure and the varying difficulty of the questions presented. However, taking exams is not going to help you improve your quant and verbal skills. So, before taking any further exams, spend some time improving your skills. Then you can resume taking practice tests.

If you’d like some more specific advice on how to study GMAT quant and verbal, feel free to reach back out. You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT STRATEGY HELP   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2019, 14:09

GMAT STRATEGY HELP

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap